The Russian invasion of Ukraine (2 Viewers)

hard to disagree with any of that. I am almost certain Putin isn't even thinking of invading Ukraine.

my favourite historical Ukrainian is Nestor Makhno. He had a hit in the 1920's with Anarchy in the Ukraine
This was about two weeks before the invasion.

Quickly looking back through the first 800 posts on this thread, which go up to first week of April 2022. I had a strong idea of the the background of Ukraine / Russia but once the invasion started it reminded me of the Iraq War where I quickly lost interest in what was happening for my own peace of mind plus that my whole approach was - make sure this conflict wasn't allowed to develop.
Once the invasion happened there was nothing left to fall back on with this approach e.g. basically better relations with Russia since the early 90's would have stopped a Putin type coming to power.

Says a lot about my mentality - much easier to proactively stop a mess than fix it after the fact.

These guys, man. The attitude and the resiliency, in the face of these odds.

He's standing there, smoking. Shells raining around him, knowing what he's up against. And he likes his chances.

Most anyone can be brave for a few minutes, but to live it every day; an entirely different order of things.

Suddenly a shell whines overhead, landing to the left of our group. The six of us run for cover and hit the ground. I lose sight of Dima, but someone shouts that a Russian tank is firing. A second explosion hits, covering me in dirt. It was closer this time, perhaps 10ft away. I head for cover and see Dima standing tall in a trench. Inside is a timber-covered shelter, which four of us cram inside. As Dima lights a cigarette, there is another explosion nearby.
"They simply have an unlimited amount of shells," he says. "They have entire warehouses full of [them]. They can shoot all day, and they won't run out of shells. But us? We'd run out of shells this year. So we're forming various assault brigades and we've been given tanks. I think with those we'll win. We're Cossacks. So, brave guys, we can handle it."

A YouTuber couldn’t get recent satellite pics of a particular Russian tank storage site, so he paid to have a satellite retargeted to image that specific site until he got a clear picture.

Then he counts every single Russian tank in storage.

This is stuff the IC was spending billions on just a few decades ago; now a YouTuber does the previously exclusive intelligence operation for a sponsorship from “RAID Shadow Legends!”

We over estimated the impact of technology short term, and under estimate long term.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

via April 8, 2023

Yesterday was day 420 of the invasion. I'm tried to make a stoner joke about that, but no.

the war is getting little media attention here these days - what's happening at the moment?
why has there been no 'spring offensive(s)' that were being touted over last winter?

the war is getting little media attention here these days - what's happening at the moment?
why has there been no 'spring offensive(s)' that were being touted over last winter?
cos some little scrote put all the plans on a tetris forum

The news is still there, it's just not front page every day anymore.
I'm still reading about it. It's difficult stuff though, for sure.

Lots of build up and preparation underway I’d imagine. Probing attacks etc. I’ve read they’ve taken bridgeheads on the other side of the dnieper in Kherson. That said the Russians are probably much better prepared for defence than last year.

The gaurniad has a daily update thing, and three or four reports every day. No one thought it would last this long.

I would imagine it's a little quieter (relative term, I know) while they're working up to this Spring offensive, which was always going to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back