The Rockbox Thread (1 Viewer)

corkproducers

Any of ye nerds use Rockbox with yer portable media players?
Tis a savage open source operating system.

I have it on instaled on me iriver h340 and its bees
Turns it into a beast of a recording device as well as lots of other things.
Supports a shite load of codecs, for both playing and recording.
Lots of games on it including doom, and Gameboy Colour games.

Its extremely customizable down to the tiniest details.

On the fly playlists, applications, viewers etc..
Its available for Irivers, Ipods, Archos, and a few more.
The cool thing about it is, that i can dual boot with it, so i can bring up the original Iriver OS.
Plus the bootloader allows usb connectivity without booting into any OS, so if the player fails for some reason, i can recover my hard drive.

I havent used ipod linux myself but it looks good too.

I used it on me Iriver h120. The gameboy thing was too slow to play, but it was handy for playing formats I couldn't have otherwise. Had to install Iriver firmware when I replaced the hard drive with a 40gb one and haven't got around to re-installing Rockbox yet. Must do.

I used it on me Iriver h120. The gameboy thing was too slow to play, but it was handy for playing formats I couldn't have otherwise. Had to install Iriver firmware when I replaced the hard drive with a 40gb one and haven't got around to re-installing Rockbox yet. Must do.

The gameboy yoke is shite on the h340 too, tis more a novelty than anything.
If you mute it, its faster.

I'm tempted... it doesn't wipe the original firmwire does it? the audio EQ, Stero width, doo hickery you can do sounds amazing I have a ipod video g5, I have to read up about this

I stuck it on one of those but to be honest I only use it in situations where I need to copy music over to it outside the whole ipod/itunes ecosystem. Very handy for that particular situation though.
No harm in having a 2nd Jukebox on there in any case.

this doesn't work on the creatives does it?

had it (for a few hours) on my old iRiver, which i then lost
later that afternoon. it seemed deadly. don't like this
creative zen shit at all. mainly cos it keeps putting people
from compilations and mixtapes in as individual artists

can't find nothin! gotta do shit by album

i used to use it with my ipod but to be honest i thought it was shite. battery lasted only about 2.5 hours, whereas with the firmware it last about 10. loaded it up last night when i was bored in the airport, and i honestly spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to play a song and then just gave up cos i couldnt remember. in fairness i never really read up on it, but the least you'd fucking expect is a managable interface.

i understand all the features may be cool, but the ipod interface wins hands down. coupled with winamp, there's no real need for rockbox. iimmhhoo.

this doesn't work on the creatives does it?
The creative zen port is "in development", might be a while before its released.

i used to use it with my ipod but to be honest i thought it was shite. battery lasted only about 2.5 hours, whereas with the firmware it last about 10.
Thats strange because you can optimise rockbox to use less battery, at least with the iriver anyway.

The interface is very manageable imo, you just nead to read how to use it.
Im not sure how it works on the ipod, but hitting the play button plays a song for me. ;)

It definitely is a superior OS, it has more features than all the rest.

Its a features over looks type of system.

The only thing it falls is in video playback, but u can just boot up the original OS for that caper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back