The Roaring Twenties (1 Viewer)

SHOCKED FASCINATION THAWING to a seedling of sympathy was my experience of the second comedic offering from the channel, The Roaring Twenties, which is actually pretty awful, but which somehow, despite its naivety, held out a freshness or promise that seemed entirely absent from the deadening familiarity of Gallagher's mockumentary.

It has to be asked why the station presented the young film-makers responsible for this embryonic programme a gang-plank disguised as an opportunity. Is RTÉ really hell-bent on annihilating potential comic talent by throwing inexperience at the camera lens to see if it sticks? Truly, one had to dig deep to unearth the silver lining from this thunderously leaky cloud.
The Roaring Twenties concerns four friends, young archetypes living in bedsit-land, and their multifarious pursuit of sex, career and comfort. There is Kevin (Diarmaid Murtagh) the dilettante, Mary (Amy Kirwin) the ambitious journo, Ray (Jason Healy) the mysterious shaggable one, and Seamus (Darryl Kinsella) the tag-rugby boy.

The acting is frighteningly uneven, with one or two calm performances and one too many hysterical turns; the situation is hackneyed, an uneasy mix of Shallow Grave, Spaced and The Young Ones; and, at its worst, the script is hugely under-developed, with a conspicuous absence of wit. However, the programme is interestingly shot, and has some less predictable moments along with a hint of edginess or invention that might well be worth exploring with a couple of decent scriptwriters.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/weekend/2008/0112/1199917931042.html

The one good thing about all this is this;

"a gang-plank disguised as an opportunity."

I'll be using that

Wait, we should also send them the cop show thread.

There hasn't been an Irish cop show, has there? Ka-ching!

There was some sort of two part mini series over the xmas. Didn't see it though.

Anyway, it's all about the cop show thread. But what'll we do without Janer in it???!

There was some sort of two part mini series over the xmas. Didn't see it though.

Anyway, it's all about the cop show thread. But what'll we do without Janer in it???!

there was a couple of year back a kind of irish Silen Witness thing with the guy who played the da in The Family - cant remember his name.

It was kind of gritty and set in Waterford or somewhere - and strangely the cops had guns in it.

My new other new sitcom is gonna be a smash hit. It's all about an upper class British family and a poor stupid Oirish family who end up living together in a church during the famine & the troubles. It's called Trevelyens Corner

Charlo? Sean McGinley.

Don't forget
Murder, She Wrote: The Celtic Riddle

And there was an episode of Relic Hunter where they came to Ireland and ended up clearing the name of Dermot McMorrough after his family lived in shame for 800 years. It was amazing and I loved it. They used a set from some Wild West movie to be 'Dublin', or possibly they used the set from Back to the Future 3, and they always found parking right outside the door of wherever they were going. It was also sunny and everyone had a nordy accent.

I wish I were watching it now.

did anyone else see the news bulletin that followed this? The lead story was 'imitation samurai swords to be outlawed'. One of the last scenes in the Roarin 20s was yer man Cillian Murphy running up the road after some Russian bloke with a samurai sword.

It was the funniest thing about the program. And it happened after it was over.

There's a few genres that we don't really excel at in this country. We never had a proper homegrown cop or detective show, or any decent science fiction output to speak of.

On the other hand, we've done kids TV and quiz shows brilliantly.

Sorry, is this the thread where you slag off The Roaring Twenties? I haven't seen it, but if it hasn't got Twink in it, what's the point?

And there was an episode of Relic Hunter where they came to Ireland and ended up clearing the name of Dermot McMorrough after his family lived in shame for 800 years. It was amazing and I loved it. They used a set from some Wild West movie to be 'Dublin', or possibly they used the set from Back to the Future 3, and they always found parking right outside the door of wherever they were going. It was also sunny and everyone had a nordy accent.

I wish I were watching it now.

That episode is amazing! Every now and then they cut to stock footage of the DART going over Pearse Street bridge. seamless.

That episode is amazing! Every now and then they cut to stock footage of the DART going over Pearse Street bridge. seamless.

Yeah, it's pure class. Love it.

And yes, yiz do lotto shows amazingly well, and kids shows, and The Lyrics Board was a work of GENIUS. What does that say, I wonder? Telly is for kids and grannies is what that says. So you've got people who make TV with kids and grannies in mind commissioning comedy programmes for the 'rest of the country', and you know, that's always going to result in TV that looks like it was commissioned by your granny because she thought it was what the young folk were into. "Well, I don't think it's funny, but then, it's young people's humour and I'm not meant to get it. All those buzzwords and pop-culture 'in jokes' go right over my head!"

Not that anyone on here seems surprised, but you know, why is anyone surprised that this turned out to be bad?

Reminds me of the time my folks bought my brother a Rick Springfield cassette for his birthday because he was 'into music'. They tried! They really did! But he looked really insulted by it and it was not long before he went on the offensive and we were all expected to celebrate Geddy Lee's birthday so no one could mistake his musical tastes again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back