the rapture - dublin gig (2 Viewers)

I can't find any listings for a Dublin date, but they are finishing the NME tour in the UK on the 8th so it would make sense.

Tallaghtsaint said:
is that defo about the rapture? where'd ya hear this its not on any of the listings on ticketmaster etc

if you judged The Rapture on House of Jealous lovers and didn't like it, personally I think it's the worst song on a brilliant album. Easily my favourite album of 2003. NOt often an album manages to blend so many different styles of music so well. Those with narrow music tastes would not enjoy though

the DFA produced 'out of the races and onto the tracks' as well as 'echoes'. but it doesnt have the same disco vibe goin on, clearly.

im usually put off by bands that are all hyped up in the media but i think the rapture are fuckin awesome. dunno why they'd be compared to interpol tho? oh wait theyre from new york that must be it, right, cos all bands from the same place must sound the same, right?

i love dancing and i hate being patronised and all i'll need to be totally happy in 2004 is a Liars gig...

hag said:
interpol, rapture, electric66, blah blah shite. they're all shite. SHITEY SHITE!!!
ah now hag don't be mean!
I read that all those bands are coool. i think the magazine was called the nme.
next you'll be saying that the rapture are just a gang of four/a certain ratio/this heat rip off!;)

subtle.

not liking it because its 'coool' isnt much better than buying into it because the nme tells you to.

and could someone explain to me the logic behind the old
'they sound like the gang of four, so they're crap' line?

unless you actually dislike gang of four/this heat etc, in which case you are a total wanker.

B for the Spree said:
and could someone explain to me the logic behind the old
'they sound like the gang of four, so they're crap' line?

unless you actually dislike gang of four/this heat etc, in which case you are a total wanker.
its just been done before like 20 years ago and so i dunno why people are so excited by "punque funque" or whatever. the hi-hats are too high in the mix and the gated snare sounds horrible. in a few weeks it'll be another city and another set of cheekbones so who cares? its funny that the only good band on DFA, Black Dice, haven't been mentioned.

ive only got the black dice 7" from 98, havent heard their DFA record yet. was kinda surprised to hear they'd done one...

yeah it was done 20 years ago and yes, the hype is ridiculous. but i'd prefer to judge acts on the basis of their music and attitude. those who'll move on to the next fad can fuck off, i dont give two shits what those people listen to.

i like a lot of 'dance-p(h)unk' bands because i like dance music and i like punk and hardcore. hence there is a certain level of appeal. im not going to rush out and buy everything the DFA ever did tho, y'know?

i heard some early track of theres which i liked so i bought "Out of the Races And Onto the Tracks" - i got bored of it farely quickly though.
Its at the bottom of some box at home now.Anyone want it?

I see nothing wrong with what they`re doin - doin there own thing, even if it is retro-ish.What is`nt these days.
Interpol are pretty damn good though.

My God the bitterness at the thought that young people are now reading music mags with the same enthusiasm as you did when you were young and open-minded...

If you think it sounds like the same as 20 years ago you haven't listened to it properly or you simply can't hear modern dance music. There are loads of techno sounds blended seemlessly with heavy guitars in a way that hasn't been done before. Perfect for those of us who have been trying for years to figure out if we are punks or had sold out when we started raving.

Anyway just because Radio 4 are one-hit wonders and Interpol are a bit dull doesn't mean that every band the media lumps into that Nu Yoyk scene are. Cynically dismissing them all with your same lazy too-old-to-learn-new-tricks brush makes your opinion about as valid as those who blindly believe everything they read.

Having only a (half-informed) reaction to press is worse than having no opinion at all.

Some of you supposed indie fans are exceptionally full of shit. The original term indie bore from the punk ethic of being open-minded and thinking independently - how many of you have actually heard Gang of Four? Of those who have how many have heard heard more than two tracks?

Borrowing other people opinions and trying to pass them off as your own - you cunts should listen to FM104

Deaglan said:
My God the bitterness at the thought that young people are now reading music mags with the same enthusiasm as you did when you were young and open-minded...

If you think it sounds like the same as 20 years ago you haven't listened to it properly or you simply can't hear modern dance music. There are loads of techno sounds blended seemlessly with heavy guitars in a way that hasn't been done before. Perfect for those of us who have been trying for years to figure out if we are punks or had sold out when we started raving.

Anyway just because Radio 4 are one-hit wonders and Interpol are a bit dull doesn't mean that every band the media lumps into that Nu Yoyk scene are. Cynically dismissing them all with your same lazy too-old-to-learn-new-tricks brush makes your opinion about as valid as those who blindly believe everything they read.

Having only a (half-informed) reaction to press is worse than having no opinion at all.

Some of you supposed indie fans are exceptionally full of shit. The original term indie bore from the punk ethic of being open-minded and thinking independently - how many of you have actually heard Gang of Four? Of those who have how many have heard heard more than two tracks?

Borrowing other people opinions and trying to pass them off as your own - you cunts should listen to FM104
"One mans waste is another mans gold" - thats what they say is`nt it?
or is it "One mans gold is another mans...?"

Anyway....

You think everyone is poop though.

You were right about that new Enon album though, very dissapointing after High Society.

dudley said:
no prob.

the rapture are poop

I've only listened to it properly once this morning, but I was really dissapointed, the only song that really stuck out was track 2, rest just floated by without doing much for me. I'll give it a few more listens, but I think the main problem is that High Society was so instant, I knew on the first listen it was great.

Jim A. Morrish said:
I agree, High Society was way better. Didn't really get into the new one at all.

everyone knows the only good band out of new york right now is double fuckin leopards!

andrew
ps - i have 'entertainment' too and i don't get why someone grouped together gang of four with this heat...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back