The Necks - Cork/Dublin/Derry/Belfast, October 2nd/3rd/4th/5th (1 Viewer)

MacDara

Contributor
Website
macdaraconroy.com
20f898136168c22285627099a1664e0b_L.jpg

Australian ambient jazz trio The Necks return to Ireland for four dates next month, including a performance in Christ Church Cathedral

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Show last night was pretty great. Third time seeing them and was probably the best. They really knew how to play to the space they were in too.

Last edited:
never missed an irish show before this tour. made it to dublin and belfast this time (my 10th/11th shows) - any reports from cork or derry?

belfast was a mixed bag. first set (piano-start) never really achieved coherence and seemed a bit aimless. good in parts, but i got the sense the band was struggling to gel or settle on a theme. sound was bone dry too. second set (bass-start) was pretty short and as by-the-numbers as i've ever seen them. might have enjoyed it more if i hadn't been at christchurch two days before.

the dublin gig was literally awesome. first set (piano-start) became a monster. huge sound - flutes, trumpets, violins, moog, tamboura could all be heard in the overtones thrown off by a simple p/b/d trio. threatened to wind down before kicking into the high gears. second set (bass-start) seemed like it'd be on the more jittery, plinky end of the spectrum but coalesced around a throbbing pulse around the halfway mark that, for my money (but not everyone i spoke to), surpassed the first set. would love if it had finished with a solo bass coda for another few minutes, but that's a minor gripe.

for me, the best live band in the world, no contest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back