The Necks - Cork/Dublin/Derry/Belfast, October 2nd/3rd/4th/5th (1 Viewer)

MacDara

Contributor
Website
macdaraconroy.com
20f898136168c22285627099a1664e0b_L.jpg

Australian ambient jazz trio The Necks return to Ireland for four dates next month, including a performance in Christ Church Cathedral

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Show last night was pretty great. Third time seeing them and was probably the best. They really knew how to play to the space they were in too.

Last edited:
never missed an irish show before this tour. made it to dublin and belfast this time (my 10th/11th shows) - any reports from cork or derry?

belfast was a mixed bag. first set (piano-start) never really achieved coherence and seemed a bit aimless. good in parts, but i got the sense the band was struggling to gel or settle on a theme. sound was bone dry too. second set (bass-start) was pretty short and as by-the-numbers as i've ever seen them. might have enjoyed it more if i hadn't been at christchurch two days before.

the dublin gig was literally awesome. first set (piano-start) became a monster. huge sound - flutes, trumpets, violins, moog, tamboura could all be heard in the overtones thrown off by a simple p/b/d trio. threatened to wind down before kicking into the high gears. second set (bass-start) seemed like it'd be on the more jittery, plinky end of the spectrum but coalesced around a throbbing pulse around the halfway mark that, for my money (but not everyone i spoke to), surpassed the first set. would love if it had finished with a solo bass coda for another few minutes, but that's a minor gripe.

for me, the best live band in the world, no contest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back