The Curse of The Jade Scorpion (2 Viewers)

Some quotes for the unconvinced:

On Love

Even as a kid I always went for the wrong women, when we went to see Snow White, everyone fell in love with Snow White, I immediately fell for the wicked queen.

Should I marry W.? Not if she won't tell me the other letters in her name.
(from Without Feathers)

I'm such a good lover because I practice a lot on my own.

My love life is terrible. The last time I was inside a woman was when I visited the Statue of Liberty.

Bisexuality doubles your chances of a date on a Saturday night.

SONJA:
Natasha, to love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But, then one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer, not to love is to suffer, to suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love, to be happy, then, is to suffer, but suffering makes one unhappy, therefore, to be unhappy one must love, or love to suffer, or suffer from too much happiness, I hope you're getting this down.
(from Love and Death)

On Death:

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying.

It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.

On the plus side, death is one of the few things that can be done just as easily as lying down.

There are worse things in life than death. Have you ever spent an evening with an insurance salesman?

I think you should defend to the death their right to march, and then go down and meet them with baseball bats.
(Woody Allen, on the KKK)

On Sex:

The difference between sex and death is that with death you can do it alone and no one is going to make fun of you.
(Woody Allen, quoted in "New York Tribune", 1975)

Sex without love is an empty experience. But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best.

Sex between a man and a woman can be wonderful, provided you can get between the right man and the right woman.
God
If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss bank.
(from Without Feathers)

YALE:
You're problem is you think you're God.
IKE:
Well, I've got to model myself after someone.
(from Manhattan)

I asked the girl if she could bring a sister for me. She did. Sister Maria Teresa. It was a very slow evening. We discussed the New Testament. We agreed that He was very well adjusted for an only child.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your future plans.
Miscellaneous

It seemed the world was divided into good and bad people. The good ones slept better ... while the bad ones seemed to enjoy the waking hours much more.
(From Side Effects)

This year I'm a star, but what will I be next year? A black hole?
(1977)

At the opera in Milan with my daughter and me, Needleman leaned out of his box and fell into the orchestra pit. Too proud to admit it was a mistake, he attended the opera every night for a month and repeated it each time.
(from Side Effects)

More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
(from Annie Hall)

I took a speed reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia.

My one regret in life is that I am not someone else.

Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought - particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things.

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick -- not wounded -- dead.

Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.

What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet.

Why are our days numbered and not, say, lettered.

DORIS:
You have no values. Your whole life, it's nihilism, it's cynicism, it's sarcasm, and orgasm.
HARRY:
Y'know, in France I could run on that slogan and win.
(from Deconstructing Harry)

Those 3 films mentioned are all ones i love. Am I the only person who thinks Radio days is deadly.

My least favourite Woody film is probably The Purple Rose one. Didnt think much of Small Time Crocks. But as Ian says I'd rather watch ANY Woody Allen film than pretty much anything else.

saw Jade Scorpion

deffo not his best, and get this - he left in mistakes, like duffed lines and bad acting!

but still better than most films out there, actually just thinking of some of the moments now is making me laugh

Classic woody leaving in the mistakes...

Where Jew see it snakey?

I heard it's only on in 3 feckin cinemas: Dun Laogharire, Tallagh and Santry... frfug'sake

Saw it last night...

Claaaaaaasic Woody...

Kicks the shite ourra Small time Crooks and Celebrity...

Better than anything else out there in movieland right now...

Fuck all people in the cinema... It's not all about the lord of the fuckin rims you know... fuck sake!

Looking forward to Hollywood Ending... prolly wont get here till 2005 because of all the rims spending all their money on shite

Have you seen "Morvern Callar"?

Originally posted by Ian
Saw it last night...

Claaaaaaasic Woody...

Kicks the shite ourra Small time Crooks and Celebrity...

Better than anything else out there in movieland right now...

Fuck all people in the cinema... It's not all about the lord of the fuckin rims you know... fuck sake!

Looking forward to Hollywood Ending... prolly wont get here till 2005 because of all the rims spending all their money on shite

nope, but I've read the book a few years back... Bit bleak if memory serves... why? worth a look? I hear the music is deadly...

I really like quite a few Woody Allen flicks, but "Morvern Callar" is way beyond anything Allen's ever done. Go see it, if you still can.

Originally posted by Ian
nope, but I've read the book a few years back... Bit bleak if memory serves... why? worth a look? I hear the music is deadly...

is it still on?
I had thought it was only on in the IFC weeks ago now, and I never got off my ass to go. I was really looking forward to it though cos I v much enjoyed the buke.

Originally posted by kirstie
is it still on?
I had thought it was only on in the IFC weeks ago now, and I never got off my ass to go. I was really looking forward to it though cos I v much enjoyed the buke.

http://www.warprecords.com/mart/music/release.php?cat=WARP98

uber-trendy soundtrack too...

i saw bowling for columbine yesterday, finally... it also had some incongruous moments in the soundtrack... r.e.m.'s "how the west was won and where it got us" as the intro to the bit about canada. oh yeah, the fillum wasn't bad either...

The whole film was a bit lacking in focus, though. I mean, what was the story with the 15-minute ad for Canada??

And it was cringingly self-congratulatory too, in places. what about that scene where we see Moore comforting the (weeping) headmistress of that school? I don't think there was any other function to that scene than to make us say to ourselves "What a great guy Michael must be!"

Maybe he is. But was the film supposed to be about him or about something else?

Puzzled,
Fairview.

Originally posted by silo
http://www.warprecords.com/mart/music/release.php?cat=WARP98

uber-trendy soundtrack too...

i saw bowling for columbine yesterday, finally... it also had some incongruous moments in the soundtrack... r.e.m.'s "how the west was won and where it got us" as the intro to the bit about canada. oh yeah, the fillum wasn't bad either...

Originally posted by Anne OMalley
The whole film was a bit lacking in focus, though. I mean, what was the story with the 15-minute ad for Canada??

And it was cringingly self-congratulatory too, in places. what about that scene where we see Moore comforting the (weeping) headmistress of that school? I don't think there was any other function to that scene than to make us say to ourselves "What a great guy Michael must be!"

Maybe he is. But was the film supposed to be about him or about something else?

Puzzled,
Fairview.

was talking about this with th' wan. rough conclusions:

- all american mainstream media is lowest common denominator mawkish crap. therefore, mike has got to do this too.

- the "michael moore" persona (essentially, homer simpson with a lump of american history and foreign policy knowledge) has to be maintained.

- um, canadians don't shoot people as much.

but yeah, he can come off a bit contrived in places. i thought the bit at the end where he placed the picture of the little girl beside the pillar in charlton heston's house was pretty cringeworthy, too. though you could see that he was genuinely furious at the time.

all that aside though, it's in a different universe to the jennifer lopez star vehicle fillum being shown in the next screen along... and that has to be good...

I thought Bowling for Columbine did lack something alright, but in the end the message stood firm. If any Americans at all saw it, well theres an accomplishment right there. The bit with the disabled student was a tad cringeworthy but it paid off for them in the end. They got a great result from K-Mart. I'd love to read about reactions from American people in Republican Suburban areas. Would they actually take note of it at all? Or just think, "I'm at the movies, this is adocumentary style movie, maybe its a hoax? Like the Blairwitch project".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back