the christmas is starting too early: the debate rages on. (1 Viewer)

rampz

i for one think that the christmas IS starting too early. all around ballyfermot where i work people already have xmas decorations up in their gaffs. when i was a kid they went up the week before xmas.
frankly i wish i could go to sleep and NEVER wake up.

One good thing about Christmas is that it's only once a year, thank fuck.

I hate it. I really, really hate it.

I never feel as inadequate, unloved and lonely as I do at Christmas, especially in Ireland, where everything shuts down and you're forced either to celebrate or sit quietly and do nothing while everyone else does, so you can't even find a place to gather with other lonely and unloved people, and besides, most of them have sadly gone off to be a spare tit somewhere and pretend they don't feel like an awkward spectator.

Years and years of being the begrudgingly invited spare tit at people's houses, the one invited more out of guilt than anything else, trying to find ways to answer their "So why aren't you with your family?" questions without admitting that I'm not invited to the family Christmas, has meant I can never really enjoy it with the joyful abandon so many people seem to have for it. Even though I won't be spending it by myself this year (for the first time in ages), I'll always know that there are lots of people out there who are super lonely just because we make this huge fucking deal out of family and on spending lots of money on this one day of the year. And people who don't have lots of money or close families basically have to sit around and wait for all the loaded and loved people to finish celebrating just how loaded and just how loved they are.

I get a bit pissed off when people make a huge deal out of it, partly because it makes so many people feel so shitty. Last year I actually baked so many cookies that I ended up throwing out a lot of them, but it was pretty much to stave off the feelings of utter shittiness at once again waking up in an empty house on Christmas morning. It's really not a nice feeling, so I figured I'd wake up with a sense of purpose in mind. By the next day, I'd filled my entire shed, like that freaky fucking mother in the Butcher Boy.

If I see one more fucking stupid column about how, "Oh,this year we had to go to a different sister's house and blah blah blah" I will rage. Seriously, there are people sleeping on the street and having their dinner in fucking soup kitchens, and you're upset because your mother isn't going to make her famous gravy in her own kitchen and it might not be as good? Call me when you have some real problems.

I just wish we could cancel Christmas one year -- just once -- just to give people a break. Or maybe everyone could go, "You know what, I don't need Christmas, so I'm gonna use the money I would have spent and give it to the Simon community or Focus Ireland." Or whatever.

Christ. I gotta step away from the computer. I'm pure grouch today.

could someone tell me 1 good thing about christmas?

apart from the Low album?

Well for us provincial folk it's a good time to catch up with all the people who've had the sense to move somewhere else. Also, Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

I'LL tell you moany fucks why i love the first of december.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well for us provincial folk it's a good time to catch up with all the people who've had the sense to move somewhere else. Also, Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

Forgot to add Christmas pints, there's only one time of year we get free pints down the local.

oh that ad gets me everytime!so so pretty!

TOTALLY. the fox and the horse bits are brilliant. i hate the way that guy says "dont forget to turn off the lights" though. like....duh.

but yeah. gives me a little xmas goosebump moment when i see it!

I watched it and started thinking "maybe i should put up the tree this week" instead of waiting till next Sunday! but tradition dictates that I shouldn't. I love the fox too, one ran by me last Christmas while I was walking to the National Concert Hall on the way to meet mr Cpr's family to see "The Snowman". It was lovely!

i'm watching home alone tonight.
thats how pumped i am for christmas.

theres a gaff in my estate that always puts up they're decorations halfway into november. i love it.

christmas is great for : getting time to spend with my loved ones, going ice skating, watching christmas films like home alone and elf and christmas vacation, indulging in all the christmas traditions we have chez muffin and cpr like making the christmas pudding, me and cpr putting up the tree while the whole families listens to christmas songs..

i dont mind christmas coming early except for the fact that im up to my eyes in work and i cant afford to waste any time to get excited about christmas until next weekend...

whingers out!

watch out everyone here i come for christmas kissies!!

mistletoe2.gif

rules need to be implemented. strict rules.
no decorations until ONE week to go
no christmas music or hype in shops until 1 dec

etc
the break from work is great though

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back