The best gig(s) you were at this year (2011) (2 Viewers)

I could simply not afford to go to as many gigs this year as last, which is a bummer.

Honorable mentions for me - Owen Pallett in Whelans, as ever, this guy is ridiculously talented as a writer, arranger and especially as a performer. Show was €5, which is ludicrous.

Cass McCombs in Grand Social, this incredibly relaxed, beautiful rock and roll band and a troubadour with several hats full of intense, heady songs.

But aboslutely the best thing I saw in the calendar year was WHY? in Button Factory. I haven't seen anyone else mention it, so I dunno if its just my total obsession with them at the moment, or the fact that it was all unfamilar new songs but I was spellbound for the whole thing, completely in awe of the low-key "unplugged" arrangements and the new songs. I wish I could bottle that gig.

Hunter's Moon Festival in Carrick-On-Shannon highlights being Seadog, Gnod, Vogel/Lacey and Wizards of Firetop Mountain.

Sorry bout your loss D.

I have no memory whatsoever of being at a gig this year & if I was, it was obviously forgettable...

New years resolution I guess

top gigs for me this year
moon Duo: workmans club
Dean Wareham: Workmans club
swans: Barcelona
mercury rev: vicar Street
deerhunter: Button factory

and the best support act I saw this year was girls name in the grand social supporting crystal stilts

Didn't hear about that Moon duo gig til now. :(

If it's any consolation, I went and thought they were bollocks. Left after 4 songs. I like the album but this really didn't do it for me.

Gigs of the year for me would probably be Battles at the Button Factory, Caribou and Aphex Twin at Forbidden Fruit, Jello Biafra at the Button Factory and the Unthanks at the Body and Soul Stage at EP.

Biggest disappointment was Best Coast at EP

Didn't see many gigs this year because i was broke. Here's my highlights tho

The Necks - Whelans
Neurosis - Button Factory
Charles Hayward - Workmans
Trenches - Lower Deck
Aphex Twin - Forbidden Fruit
Legion of Two - The Joinery

Blonde Redhead @ EP
Barn Owl
Halloween in Block T (esp Magic Pockets - perfect for the occasion)
Silent Front
Alarmist
Owensie launch
Squarehead launch
Hello Moon launch
Pinback
Andy Irvine & Paul Brady

This thread made me realise that I only went to 4 or 5 gigs that weren’t local punk gigs in the Deck or the Pint or that I wasn’t playing myself. Still a pretty good haul though. In order of rockage they are:

The Mean Jeans and Off! in Portland. Crap venue, great gig
Mike Watt and the Missingmen at the Button Factory
Jello at the Button Factory
Punk Rock Karaoke at the Button Factory- a bit of fun and getting to see Stan Lee up close and personal= result.
Thee Spivs in Sweeny’s were pretty good too.

Today’s Loving Room Floor is an expose on these gigs and all of the members of these gigs’ other musical projects.

Out of people I don't know, Why? in the Button Factory stands out. Had never really given them much time and was really impressed. Also:
Pulp at Electric Picnic.
Cowtown in Newcastle.

I mostly went to friends' gigs to be honest. But loads of them were amazing: off the top of my head, Yeh Deadlies' album launch (probably the most enjoyable gig of the year for me), Ginnels and GPO upstairs in Whelan's, Tieranniesaur at EP and HWCH, Groom at HWCH, Squarehead at our launch, Big Monster Love upstairs in Whelan's, We Are Losers in the corridor downstairs at the Twisted Pepper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back