The Beatles recording technique questions (1 Viewer)

According to R.I.T.H. it wouldn't always be double tracked, it'd be the same take but out of phase with itself, shifting it a few milli-seconds. To do this they'd have to bounce it to another tape machine, put that tape out of alligment, and play it back on to the master over the main voice.. with all that bouncing and tape machiine being different the speed would wobble about a tiny about, thus the weirdness. The called it ADT, Automatic Double Tracking.

I think they originally called it flanging becasue it involved messing about with the flange of the tape head but they didn't realise there was already a technique/effect of the same name.

flanging is the same thing but done to a greater degree i.e. varying the phase difference more. called flanging cos you did it by playing the same thing on two tape machines mixing down to one track, but on one of the tape machines you varied the pressure on the tape wheel with your hand (the wheels in a tape deck are called flange wheels)
bohemian rhapsody has that flanged cymbal near the start done the same way

Great stuff lads. I have revolution in the head and the official beatles recording diaries (large white book, just as enjoyable as Revolution in the head) but neither gets too into the mic-ing or compression/limiting techniques.
Ta for the links to other reading.
It's gas, I went back to some of the tracks to listen out for the double tracking and it's pretty badly done on some of them. Can't believe your ears totally gloss over it (probly cause your singing along) but it's the kind of stuff you'd never let out of the studio if it was yourself.

Did that guy actually kill himself?

I was holding the big exspenisve book their at the week, it's pretty amazing, hugely detailed, gorgous photos of every piece of kit imaginable (is it wrong to call a photo of a U87 "beautiful"?), the details is insane... in-sane.. diagrams of where everyone stood, lists of what overdubs were done on each pass, seems like every single screw and doo-hicky get examined.

It's big $$$ but after looking over it I think it's seriously worth it

I was holding the big exspenisve book their at the week, it's pretty amazing, hugely detailed, gorgous photos of every piece of kit imaginable (is it wrong to call a photo of a U87 "beautiful"?), the details is insane... in-sane.. diagrams of where everyone stood, lists of what overdubs were done on each pass, seems like every single screw and doo-hicky get examined.

It's big $$$ but after looking over it I think it's seriously worth it

What's the source on all the content? Did Martin keep meticulous diaries about what they did?

I have no idea, about 4 years of research... the guys who worte it posted on Tape Op a lot and it's taken them at least 4 years to get everything sorted. I think the release date was pushed back over two of them... I think they just interview everyone and were let rip at the backrooms of Abby Road

One of the many, many, extras is a a reprint of a postcard George Martin sent to the Beatles from his holidays. We're talking seriously anal stuff here :)

One of the many, many, extras is a a reprint of a postcard George Martin sent to the Beatles from his holidays. We're talking seriously anal stuff here :)

Dear Chaps,

Having a wonderful time in Port-au-Prince. Missus and I have been enjoying lots of anal, as you might expect. One classic occurrence - Sheena bent down in the Pietonne area to pick up her handbag and bob's your uncle. Those billowing summer skirts are frightfully useful, that's all I have to say.

Anyway, enjoy the London fog, we'll be back soon. Looking forward to hearing that song about the Strawberry Patch, and also "I Am the Anus". Sounds like my kind of thing!

G
PS Watch out for that new assistant Cummins, he likes a spot of rogering. Don't we all!

Anyone heard the mono* version of Sargeant Pepper's doing the rounds?
It's at least half a tone higher than the stereo version-noticeably different & faster.

*[edit]now available on cd/mp3 as opposed to 'just' out-of-print vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back