The Beatles recording technique questions (1 Viewer)

Serpico

Website
www.conanbrophy.com
Just in case any of you shelled out for that really posh recording diary recently I was wondering...
1. Did the beatles record to a click track? I was watching the anthology and they played the demo versions of A Day in the Life and Strawberry Fields and they started both with just Lennon on acoustic guitar then built everything on top. Must have been a nightmare if he hadn't recorded to a click.
2. What mics were mostly used on the vocals? Generally any info on the vocal recording techniques used post Sgt Peppers. I know they double tracked a lot and then used ADT a lot but any other info appreciated.
Ta.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0712662081/?tag=thumpedcom-20

Revolution in the Head is amazing too, and I'm not a huge Beatles fan by any strech. Great read.

1. I doubt it, I'd say either to a guide acoustic track, or just cut it live in the same room. So many of those later songs were cut from various takes, Strawberry Fields (I think, could be something else) ends up a fraction of a tone out of tune with how it starts such was the speeding up and chopping and monkeying around done to the tapes. Happiness is a Warm gun was a total cut and paste job... imagine being the fella putting the blade through the tape..

2. Not sure but the safe money is on a Neuman U87

Strawberry Fields (I think, could be something else) ends up a fraction of a tone out of tune with how it starts such was the speeding up and chopping and monkeying around done to the tapes.

I bought this month's Q because of the songwriters feature in it (it's pretty good) and Strawberry Fields Forever was in a songwriter's top 10. The article describes what you just said happening.

Don't have the fancy book but read some other stuff.
Apparently they had a metronome miked up in a cuboard somewhere in abbey road.

Vocal microphones and techniques for recording vocals were multiple and varied, as john lennon had an aversion to "that same bloody vocal sound". Techniques extended to bizzarre practices such as submerging a microphone into a water-filled milkbottle and having lennon sing into the hole at the top.

Of course - someone who has the sexy book will have all the answers.

Yeah, what Pantone said..revolution in the head..it set the music of the Beatles on fire in my mind again..excellent book..and ye know what..they have never been equalled

Generally Lennon's vocals were double tracked, and the tracks then placed slightly out of phase with each other. It thickened up his vocal, which he was always very self conscious about.

According to R.I.T.H. it wouldn't always be double tracked, it'd be the same take but out of phase with itself, shifting it a few milli-seconds. To do this they'd have to bounce it to another tape machine, put that tape out of alligment, and play it back on to the master over the main voice.. with all that bouncing and tape machiine being different the speed would wobble about a tiny about, thus the weirdness. The called it ADT, Automatic Double Tracking.

the bits I've read about it on line seem to agree it's much more then just tape delay and much more then just phasing, but no-ones seems to know exactly what the magic voodoo that makes it so deadly really is.

Generally Lennon's vocals were double tracked, and the tracks then placed slightly out of phase with each other. It thickened up his vocal, which he was always very self conscious about.

it wasn't just that it was just delayed, the amount of the phase difference was varied up and down in small amounts. if you have a delay plug-in that has a modulation option and you set it to a very short delay with a modulation amount of <1hz you get the idea.

cg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back