The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (8 Viewers)

The Beatles

95135802_1301499956715500_7745941658268598272_o.jpg

Are we going to mention that The Beatles invented Doom Metal in in 1969, half way through "I want you. She's so heavy".

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Up to around the 4 minute mark it's a Jazzy funk tune. Then at 4 minutes thirty seconds they say, here, I'm feeling a bit of existential dread, let's invent Doom Metal.

So they do. In nineteen sixty fucking nine.

Blue Cheer were a few years ahead of them. Classic Beatles fans claiming they invented every style of music.

Must have been a different album in there. Dylan perhaps.
It was the deluxe edition reissue. It was about three discs too long (it was only a 2 disc set). I've tried with Dead Letter Office too, I thought the VU covers would be a way into early REM but it's really not for me. Dreary and not in a good way.

But trying to like any kind of pop music (in the broadest sense of the term) and ignoring the Beatles is like trying to write a fantasy novel and ignoring Tolkien.

I KNOW. I heard music once actually.

But I A: will not seperate them from 6000 years of pop history starting in ancient greece B: can't stomach 'before and after the beatles'. They made american music into english music and indian music into english music and they put the merseybeat on it and the world wanted and needed it at the time but also it is kinda 60 years later now and we can contextualise outside worship.

I KNOW. I heard music once actually.

But I A: will not seperate them from 6000 years of pop history starting in ancient greece B: can't stomach 'before and after the beatles'. They made american music into english music and indian music into english music and they put the merseybeat on it and the world wanted and needed it at the time but also it is kinda 60 years later now and we can contextualise outside worship.
A triumph of marketing, if you will.

I liked your spitfires quote from earlier.

But now you're attacking me SO FUCK YOU I HOPE YOU DIE.

Hey now, when did I say I worshipped the Beatles? I said they're like Tolkien, i.e. took their influences and made something relatively new that through a combination of quality, luck and the explosion of marketing in the mid 20th century became an immovable pillar of a new genre.

You didn't explicitly say it, but eh, I get the feeling I *might* have struck a beatles shaped nerve by not agreeing with it.
hahahaha, i'm almost entirely agreeing with you though!

"Sit up straight and eat your Beatles" is a good joke (well, clearly not but I like it) about how people are forced to appreciate the Beatles and this cannot be questioned.

hahahaha, i'm almost entirely agreeing with you though!

"Sit up straight and eat your Beatles" is a good joke (well, clearly not but I like it) about how people are forced to appreciate the Beatles and this cannot be questioned.

Maybe, but three posts ago when I was arguing with your I wasn't sure or not. I should probably clarify that I like the beatles, moreso I like soundgarden (upto half way through the comeback album) who are essentially the beatles and sabbath in one band. I find the beatles starting everything to be the argument being made by the man in third in this helpful diagram.

biblical.jpg

I love that song ,especially that bit. But no,the Beatles did not invent doom metal. Plenty of doomy rock before that,and then tracing back further to early recorded blues. Credit to the beatles for a great tune,but no more.

Actually... could you link up some earlier Doom stuff? Or give me a pointer?

I'm not a massive Beatles fan, but every now and again I'll notice something they did and realise (again) they some good songs. My 8 year old is into them, so now I'm listening more.

And I'm obviously not all that well versed in Doom either. That track, that sort of howling wind type noise, that sounded like Burzum, and the chord progressions sounded like metal. I was always told that Black Sabbath would have been the first lads making metal though. I can't listen to that Beatles track and not hear fully formed Metal.

I'm trying to think. Cromagnon were around in the late 60s too. But they weren't as Doomy sounding, I think?

Early lo fi blues, yeah. I can see that now that you mention it. I didn't associate that before.

edit - @moose mentioned Blue Cheer. I'm listening now.

Last edited:
The Beatles were great but anything that omnipresent is going to annoy people.
A lot of talk about separating art from artists, but not often enough about artist and fanbase

How much harder is it to like a band when you find their fans and their behaviour intolerable?
Beatles are great though.
They are the Can of pop music.

Also, P.S.
Fucking Midlake
Dour bunch of shites

I don't care, what genre did the beatles invent with that killer guitar riff in paperback writer? I love that

Probably something like howlin wolfs smokestack lightning from the 30s. I'd say primarily it invented that. I can't see how wolf would have created that style of phrasing without knowing about the beatles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back