The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (3 Viewers)

If your staying at up to 69,you should try a lot of 60s blues rock ,not as blatant,but then slot of sabbath is pretty bluesy. Try early Free ,Grand Funk,and other big names even Zeppelin and Deep Purple,iron butterfly,Cream.a lot of bands playing doom or early heavy metal would have been influenced by the Beatles but probably were already finding themselves by the time that song was released.

Theres a lot of more obscure lesser known stuff,more than you would believe, but often the obscure stuff is what people champion but the well known stuff is as good or better just more ingrained,a bit like the beatles.

Damnation of Adam Blessing,Leslie West,Vanilla Fudge,Gun,Josefus Deviants Blues Creation all had releases in 69 or before

Probably loads of prog too,but I'm not so into more proggy stuff

Scottish band IRON CLAW was another pioneering doom group from the late 60/early 70's.
when BLACK SABBATH in played I.C.'s hometown of Dumfries on 16 November 1969
and one of I.C. recorded SABBATH's set. this is SABBATH's earliest live recording.
SABBATH's first album was recorded on 16 October 1969 (in one 12 hour session apparently).

beginning @ 6:26 there's an 11 minute track with just Bill and Tony.
Bill does a drum solo and Tony plays the .... flute.
(Tony was briefly in JETHRO TULL during 1969).
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Someone else already brought up the comparison. Ive never really had them in the same category to be honest. Beatles = all encompassing music template. Stones = Stones.

No dig at the Stones either. To make one record as good as Sticky Fingers is getting into once in a lifetime territory.

I never delved too far into their Wikipedia, but my guess was always that Mick Taylor kept them right. When he was gone the shiny shirts and stupid dancing came out.
I love the Stones, probably the greatest rock group ever sure why not, but hard to take seriously when you find out that they fired Ian Stewart from photo shoots only purely because he wasn't pretty enough.

I love the Stones, probably the greatest rock group ever sure why not, but hard to take seriously when you find out that they fired Ian Stewart from photo shoots only purely because he wasn't pretty enough.

I think that was down to Andrew loog Oldham. Ian Stewart was a big manly man & it didn't fit the image he had in mind for the stones.

I seem to have lost Let It Bleed along the way, which sucks as it was definitely my preferred of the two. Going to spin Beggars Banquet today.

I really enjoyed Wilco at some festival years ago but the albums are so different and shit compared to that gig.

I've only heard a couple of Wilco albums and they left almost no impression on me aside from them using the Conet Project numbers station recordings (I'd much rather listen to that album than Wilco).

I'm watching a documentary about Tom Waits. I'm into the noir atmosphere, late night jazz, the production on the records & a lot of the stuff he references, but I could never get into his music. I just find his whole act & persona annoying. It's so self consciously contrived & studied. There's a array of celebs saying what great songs & lyrics he has. I'll have to take their word for it. I can't get passed that stupid voice he puts on.

I'm watching a documentary about Tom Waits. I'm into the noir atmosphere, late night jazz, the production on the records & a lot of the stuff he references, but I could never get into his music. I just find his whole act & persona annoying. It's so self consciously contrived & studied. There's a array of celebs saying what great songs & lyrics he has. I'll have to take their word for it. I can't get passed that stupid voice he puts on.
I too have wondered why people allow him to get away with actually ending songs with "shoob a dee bop bop bop yeahhh"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back