The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (11 Viewers)

For me Dylan starts with John Wesley Harding. I tried listening to Blonde on Blonde there now to see if I was wrong but I can't listen to it. The songs are meh to excellent but I hate that band sound and the hipster drawl which both seemed to be gone after his little break. Anyway, I guess Oh Mercy is up next then maybe Street Legal.

For me Dylan starts with John Wesley Harding. I tried listening to Blonde on Blonde there now to see if I was wrong but I can't listen to it. The songs are meh to excellent but I hate that band sound and the hipster drawl which both seemed to be gone after his little break. Any, I guess Oh Mercy is up next then maybe Street Legal.

I don't really like the first couple of songs on Blonde On Blonde so I didn't bother with it for years. It get's way better after side 1.

For me Dylan starts with John Wesley Harding. I tried listening to Blonde on Blonde there now to see if I was wrong but I can't listen to it. The songs are meh to excellent but I hate that band sound and the hipster drawl which both seemed to be gone after his little break. Any, I guess Oh Mercy is up next then maybe Street Legal.

Whatever you do .. don't listen to Shot Of Love.

Nine Inch Nails probably.

I fear I do get them in that I think they're it's just synth pop with all the interesting ambiguous bits stripped away and replaced with alt-rock guitars and fussy, shiny production.

Dylan is the greatest lyricist ever. What a dude

I don't get... lemme think..hmm everybody that sounds like Ed Sheeran including Ed Sheeran

Dylan is the boss and the Beatles are mind blowing. Oh it's true, it's true.

My favourite Dylanz are:
Blood on the Trackz
Hard Rain
Street-Legal

Dylan is the boss and the Beatles are mind blowing. Oh it's true, it's true.

Are we going to mention that The Beatles invented Doom Metal in in 1969, half way through "I want you. She's so heavy".

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Up to around the 4 minute mark it's a Jazzy funk tune. Then at 4 minutes thirty seconds they say, here, I'm feeling a bit of existential dread, let's invent Doom Metal.

So they do. In nineteen sixty fucking nine.

Is a bit of a contortionist yoga instructor at a ballet convention level of stretching to say that black Sabbath heard this and one month later hit the studio to record thier first single.

And that's ignoring the big band era and the few hundred years of classical music.

The BBC would like you to know the beatles invented music while flying spitfires at the 1966 World Cup.

Is a bit of a contortionist yoga instructor at a ballet convention level of stretching to say that black Sabbath heard this and one month later hit the studio to record thier first single.

And that's ignoring the big band era and the few hundred years of classical music.

The BBC would like you to know the beatles invented music while flying spitfires at the 1966 World Cup.
Sit up straight and eat your Beatles.

The Beatles are absolutely the perfect band, Bob Stanley's Yeah Yeah Yeah book on pop music has an entire chapter about all the coincidences they experienced and things that just went perfect for them that would have went wrong for everyone else, and also how it all stopped for them individually the moment they split up. A good read!

I mean, it's also what makes them completely obnoxious and total kryptonite for some people.

But trying to like any kind of pop music (in the broadest sense of the term) and ignoring the Beatles is like trying to write a fantasy novel and ignoring Tolkien.

Dylan's run of albums in the mid 60s - from Bringing It All Back Home to Blonde on Blonde - are absolutely incredible. Great stuff then peppered throughout his career. Blood on the Tracks definitely his masterpiece. I left my Dylan obsession behind in my early 20s but he still gets a spin every now and again.

Can't listen to Beatles anymore without skipping half the tracks on the albums. Some of the best songs ever written and some of the most annoying shite ever put down on record.

The Rolling Stones again I was obsessed with them in my 20s, barely listen to them now, but I think their records, style, vibe all consistently better than The Beatles.

Are we going to mention that The Beatles invented Doom Metal in in 1969, half way through "I want you. She's so heavy".

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Up to around the 4 minute mark it's a Jazzy funk tune. Then at 4 minutes thirty seconds they say, here, I'm feeling a bit of existential dread, let's invent Doom Metal.

So they do. In nineteen sixty fucking nine.

I love that song ,especially that bit. But no,the Beatles did not invent doom metal. Plenty of doomy rock before that,and then tracing back further to early recorded blues. Credit to the beatles for a great tune,but no more.

The Beatles

95135802_1301499956715500_7745941658268598272_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back