The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (3 Viewers)

Yeah while that is probably not fair when it comes to MBV, more like 70% love them 20% say they do but secretly don't get all the fuss and 10% listened to Loveless once then went back to listening to Ash and just can't be bothered having the argument any more.

It's completely fair when discussing Sonic Youth. I love them have seen them 4 times. Own about 20 + albums by them. The vast majority of "Fans" own a copy of Daydream Nation and Dirty and occasionally wear a "Goo" T shirt which makes for hillarious scenes at their gigs when The lads are into the 25th minute of Expressway to Yr Skull and the hipsters start trying to slip out the exits and still look laconic. Of course none of that bothers me as much as the same hipsters complaining afterwards and trying to sound like they know what they're talking about when what they should be saying is "I only vaguely recognised one song, but I sure do wear this T-Shirt well don't I" And it's not like i don't "get" why people don't "get" Sonic Youth, it's fine not to like them, It's something else completely when you claim to love a band but really would prefer to listen to shit watered down contemporary rip off, who by the way, are total shite.

Above post could also refer to - Talking Heads, Television, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Cure even The Smiths.

Now that's a post!

I'm a bit guilty of some of some of those traits myself. Mentioned before that I really like Pavement (and I do).. even though I dislike more of their songs than I actually like.

Now that's a post!

I'm a bit guilty of some of some of those traits myself. Mentioned before that I really like Pavement (and I do).. even though I dislike more of their songs than I actually like.
That's how I feel about Pavement too but I at least own the albums with the songs I don't like on them.

I should also have included a skinny little hipster saying

"I like a band who love the band you're on about so by extension I love that band even though I've never heard of them...So therefore I'm a bigger fan of Colonel Beefyheart than you'll ever be...Oh and when I get out of bed in the morning I don't make the sound of a bear grunting and gasping after killing a deer and my bones don't crack when i bend either...get it together grandad.... and stop looking at my girlfriends tits."

The most important thing to remember is that the band you heard first doing something have exclusive ownership of a specific sound, and no other band can adapt, improve or further this sound.

As long as we are all clear on that, i don't see any problem.

Never took to Nick Drake either.

Has anyone mentioned the Rolling Stones? A few decent tunes (Get off my Cloud, Jumpin Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, some of the funky 80s stuff) but I put on Exile on Main Street and was bored with it after about 5 tracks. I'd say 90 percent of the people who'll watch them in Hyde Park or Glastonbury or whatever will only have "Best of" on their iPods and that's it. An utterly soulless band with an annoying vocalist,

Yeah while that is probably not fair when it comes to MBV, more like 70% love them 20% say they do but secretly don't get all the fuss and 10% listened to Loveless once then went back to listening to Ash and just can't be bothered having the argument any more.

It's completely fair when discussing Sonic Youth. I love them have seen them 4 times. Own about 20 + albums by them. The vast majority of "Fans" own a copy of Daydream Nation and Dirty and occasionally wear a "Goo" T shirt which makes for hillarious scenes at their gigs when The lads are into the 25th minute of Expressway to Yr Skull and the hipsters start trying to slip out the exits and still look laconic. Of course none of that bothers me as much as the same hipsters complaining afterwards and trying to sound like they know what they're talking about when what they should be saying is "I only vaguely recognised one song, but I sure do wear this T-Shirt well don't I" And it's not like i don't "get" why people don't "get" Sonic Youth, it's fine not to like them, It's something else completely when you claim to love a band but really would prefer to listen to shit watered down contemporary rip off, who by the way, are total shite.

Above post could also refer to - Talking Heads, Television, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Cure even The Smiths.

and the Ramones (the t-shirt bit)

Never took to Nick Drake either.

Has anyone mentioned the Rolling Stones? A few decent tunes (Get off my Cloud, Jumpin Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, some of the funky 80s stuff) but I put on Exile on Main Street and was bored with it after about 5 tracks. I'd say 90 percent of the people who'll watch them in Hyde Park or Glastonbury or whatever will only have "Best of" on their iPods and that's it. An utterly soulless band with an annoying vocalist,

What brought home how average the Rolling Stones were to me was when '40 Licks' came out. About half to three-quarters of the first CD is excellent while the rest is abysmal. Surely a band with such a vast back catalogue as the rolling stones have 40 good songs? Or if not, who the hell thought it a good idea to put that many songs on it? 40 is ambitious by any standards, though I'm listening to a Kinks best-of at the moment with at least that many tracks on it, and each one is better than the next.

I struggle a bit with Field Music. I think the problem is that they water down the really good stuff on their albums with utter crud and it makes listening to them too much like hard work. Have seen them live twice and loved them, but if I've listened to an album twice in the last year I'd be surprised.

Went off Nick Drake a bit as I became less of a mopey cunt in the latter half of my 20s. Still think he wrote amazing tunes. The Smiths are one of the greatest bands ever.

What brought home how average the Rolling Stones were to me was when '40 Licks' came out. About half to three-quarters of the first CD is excellent while the rest is abysmal. Surely a band with such a vast back catalogue as the rolling stones have 40 good songs? Or if not, who the hell thought it a good idea to put that many songs on it? 40 is ambitious by any standards, though I'm listening to a Kinks best-of at the moment with at least that many tracks on it, and each one is better than the next.
66-72 is the only period that anyone should be listening to. After that they just became a self parody. There's a certain extent to which time has been unfair to the Stones. They were right there at the beginning of this rock and roll thing, ripping off the african american lads and selling it to white boys without them Rock music would be a lot more polite. I mean without them making it okay to be mental and persecuted by the cops. The Beatles would probably have remained a boy band. It's evolution though innit ? It's like saying the modern tiger is way better than the dinosaurs, and to be fair the stones are the ultimate dinosaurs.

This tune is fucking class and if you don't "get" Sticky Fingers you probably shouldn't bother trying any other albums since it's fucking class.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Friendly Fires
Foals

I know these are total NME hyped to-fuck-bands but they seemed to be loved by far too many people. Complete shite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back