The band you were obsessed about when you were young (1 Viewer)

i hang my head in shame as i say this one.....

gazza, yep, paul fuckin gascoigne, as a musician!

i couldnt wait for the album to come out! featuring the classic singles 'fog on the tyne' and 'geordie boys'. i was only 7, but still, bleak memories.....oh christ i just remembered i joined his fan club aswell. ah well, i spose it all makes sense considering that at that i age i believed in the existence of a 'moustache fairy' (same principle as tooth fairy....but with tash's), and that the entire world was black and white until someone invented colour in the 60s. thats what it was like on tv, so i took it to be true. until i figured my mam must have been alive for this 'transition period' between black and white, and colour. so i asked her bout it. christ im suprised she didnt enrole me in a 'special school' after all that!

0 - 8 pop music, whatever was in the charts. Liked Paul Simon especially.
9 - 11 Human League, ABC, Heaven 17, Associates, Spandau Ballet, OMD, Blondie etc
12 was the year of The Smiths. Went on till they broke up in 1987.
13 - 16 The Fall, Jesus And Mary Chain, Sonic Youth, Wedding Present, Felt, Cocteau Twins, 4AD records, lots of indie.
20 - Aphex Twin

When I was like 10 it went Oasis, Nirvana, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins and I carried on Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins for a while. I liked Pulp and Alanis Morisette for a while aswell, I just sorta borrowed my sister's tapes.

Then it was like Deftones, Limpbizkit and Tool.

And then somebody lent me the Velvet Underground and Nico, FUgazi - 13 Songs and some Sigur Ros and that was my intro to independant stuff.

I listen to a lot of Sonic Youth, Simon and Garfunkel, Paul Simon and tons more records these days.
Paul Simon is music that I've been listening to since birth till now.

Jaysus, how did I forget bis????!

I was OBSESSED with them. The day they were on TOTP doing Kandy Pop, I told EVERYONE in my year in school to watch them. That was in 2nd year. I still get stick about it.

Them doing Kandy Pop on totp was the reason I never got into them, jesus, I thought it was awful. In retrospect it probably wasn't and I was just a square listening to Symposium or something

I spent the entire winter of 1999 listening to the Hot Rock by Sleater-Kinney and Fishing for Luckies by the Wildhearts and nothing else

Them doing Kandy Pop on totp was the reason I never got into them, jesus, I thought it was awful. In retrospect it probably wasn't and I was just a square listening to Symposium or something

I went to see Symposium in the TBMC, now that was awful. I was so bored I got my friend to ask a girl if she'd get off with me :) . She declined.

Oh, I was hooked on Juno (the DeSoto band from Seattle) when I was 17. I picked up their first album 'this is the way it goes and goes' literally from a bargain bin for 99p in the big Virgin that's gone now. I actually met their drum mer at a Mark Lanegan gig in Whelans around the same period, he was aloof to say the least. Around the same age I fell in love with Low after hearing Immune on No Disco.

The only thing I can think of that I'm currrently taken with are Neutral Milk Hotel. Much belated checking them out, after a recommendation 8 and a half years ago.

I loved Symposium's first single when I was thirteen. 'Farewell to Twilight'?

Manic Street Preachers, its about 5 years now since i bought Know Your Enemy and thats what started it off.

I was really really really obsessed loike

'Airport' by The Motors.

I was standing out my bedroom window staring out at the back road in Marino D9 watching my ex getting off with Johnny hate figure and this song came on.

Lifted me right up.

Flying away, flying away. To Another place. Sorry to Andy and Michael from Therapy for making them listen to this song 7 times in a row at my house. Still.

Lifted me right up!

Same band that I obsess about now. Devo, 26 years and counting.
Although, my first two 7" purchases were Kraftwerk's Pocket Calculator, and Juice Newton's, Playing with the Queen of Hearts.

major obsessions:
guns n'roses
megadeth
joe satriani
metallica
nirvana
slayer
wildhearts
smashing pumpkins
mogwai
joni mitchell
rufus wainwright
mastodon

minor obsessions :
dodgy
ice-t
cranberries (literally, ONE day)
aerosmith
ac/dc
the roots

I really really liked Shed 7 for a while. And I loved Rollercoaster by Northern Uproar. Remember them?
s37215.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back