Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bouncing Off The Satellites

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cosmic Thing

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Good Stuff

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
it's not, you know. i saw them this summer and it was appalling. lame dance versions of everything.
went to their press conference before the gig, the mc goes "welcome to the b52's, who has a first question?"

"........"

about 30 journalists, no-one says a thing. so fred ends up ranting about how fabulous their new record will be

sounds awful :(

anyone ever see them back in the day?

Don't Worry on Whammy! versus Moon 83.

No contest, Don't Worry is way better. Pity it was kicked off after Yoko flipped.
Can't say I agree, i think Don't Worry doesn't fit in as well as moon 83

A reissued Mesopotamia with all the takes/versions would be cool.

There's also the 1991 remix which doesn't change it much but is just that little bit worse.
anyway, the island records 8-minute version of Loveland

http://rapidshare.com/files/61091444/5_-_Loveland__extended_mix_.mp3.html

If it only had that cool guitar line the normal version has it would be the definitive

Ever seen that REALLY early footage of Lava back 1977 when they were still using tapes for back up music? It's mad trippy stuff, completely different to how it ended up. The video has disappeared off the internet though

Can't say I agree, i think Don't Worry doesn't fit in as well as moon 83

There's also the 1991 remix which doesn't change it much but is just that little bit worse.
anyway, the island records 8-minute version of Loveland

http://rapidshare.com/files/61091444/5_-_Loveland__extended_mix_.mp3.html

If it only had that cool guitar line the normal version has it would be the definitive

Ever seen that REALLY early footage of Lava back 1977 when they were still using tapes for back up music? It's mad trippy stuff, completely different to how it ended up. The video has disappeared off the internet though

The remix being the one featured on Nude On The Moon - and by extension on the 1990 CD release
Good anthology that.

The Mesopotamia / Party Mix CDs remain uncorrected.

I have Mesopotamia on Island vinyl, never heard the CD. Three tracks extended on the LP isn't it.

Have you read the Mats Sexton book on them? Must pick it up.

I saw them back in 1990/91? when Julie Cruise (of Twin Peaks theme song fame) stepped in for Cindy. It was a great show! They were on tour with the Pogues I think too!

I love Keith, I love Keith, I love Keith.

...and I'll buy their new CD and tell y'all 'boutit!

Thomas

The remix being the one featured on Nude On The Moon - and by extension on the 1990 CD release
Good anthology that.

The Mesopotamia / Party Mix CDs remain uncorrected.

really? I know the european island cd (the one that mistakingly says lava is track 6) remains uncorrected but i was under the impression that the US one had the remixes?

I have Mesopotamia on Island vinyl, never heard the CD. Three tracks extended on the LP isn't it.
yeah but not on the cd reissue, they used the original Warner Brothers version. And just to complicate matters more I have the Island vinyl (I do believe it's a German pressing) and although the label of the disc says they're extended versions the actual music are the 'normal' ones.
Mad confusing

Have you read the Mats Sexton book on them? Must pick it up.
Yeah I have that but you'll be hard pressed to find a copy for less than a hundred dollars these days, there was only 6000 or so copies printed

really? I know the european island cd (the one that mistakingly says lava is track 6) remains uncorrected but i was under the impression that the US one had the remixes?

yeah but not on the cd reissue, they used the original Warner Brothers version. And just to complicate matters more I have the Island vinyl (I do believe it's a German pressing) and although the label of the disc says they're extended versions the actual music are the 'normal' ones.
Mad confusing

Yeah I have that but you'll be hard pressed to find a copy for less than a hundred dollars these days, there was only 6000 or so copies printed

I was under the impression that both CD versions - US and UK [which came out in 1990] - featured the remixed tracks. And that the longer versions of the tracks were exclusive to the Island LP.

That's certainly confusing about your German copy.
If you have it handy, post up the timings on it?

Although - there's a standalone CD of Mesopotamia [as opposed to being doubled up with Party Mix] - presume that's remixes too?

Extremely messy alright.

Yeah, the book is going for serious money on the various Amazons - now I know why.

to complicate things....

Just rung a mate there
He has what he thinks is a UK pressing [Island 4006] and the timings are off too.

Song Listed Actual
Loveland 8:33 4:57
Deep Sleep 3:29 3:29
Mesopotamia 3:52 3:52
Cake 7:45 5:45
Throw That... 5:46 4:26
Nip It.... 3:31 3:31

presume it's the same as yours?

I thought the US was the shorter one not the UK.
And the 1990 remixes are different again.

I blame David Byrne. Around that time he was messing around with 'put a different version on each format' - so The Catherine Wheel LP and cassette differed as did Talking Head's Speaking In Tongues and Stop Making Sense.

to complicate things....

Just rung a mate there
He has what he thinks is a UK pressing [Island 4006] and the timings are off too.

Song Listed Actual
Loveland 8:33 4:57
Deep Sleep 3:29 3:29
Mesopotamia 3:52 3:52
Cake 7:45 5:45
Throw That... 5:46 4:26
Nip It.... 3:31 3:31

presume it's the same as yours?

I thought the US was the shorter one not the UK.
And the 1990 remixes are different again.

I blame David Byrne. Around that time he was messing around with 'put a different version on each format' - so The Catherine Wheel LP and cassette differed as did Talking Head's Speaking In Tongues and Stop Making Sense.

ok, well my one says printed in west germany and has german writing all over it and has those errors.

The story as I thought I knew it was that these are the following versions

1982 Warner Brothers - Correct edition
then, according to the book, the wrong tapes were sent across the atlantic to england so
1982 Island Uk - 3 Extended songs
as far as I know some countries under Island had the correct editions and some had the extended ones. Maybe only the first printing had the error?
then
1990 Warner Brothers - Mesopotamia/Party mix cd - remixed versions
1990 Island Uk/Ireland/(Europe?)- Correct versions although with a misprinting on the label saying that lava is track 6

but you say that the 1990 warner release does not contain the remixed versions? argh!

ok, well my one says printed in west germany and has german writing all over it and has those errors.

The story as I thought I knew it was that these are the following versions

1982 Warner Brothers - Correct edition
then, according to the book, the wrong tapes were sent across the atlantic to england so
1982 Island Uk - 3 Extended songs
as far as I know some countries under Island had the correct editions and some had the extended ones. Maybe only the first printing had the error?
then
1990 Warner Brothers - Mesopotamia/Party mix cd - remixed versions
1990 Island Uk/Ireland/(Europe?)- Correct versions although with a misprinting on the label saying that lava is track 6

but you say that the 1990 warner release does not contain the remixed versions? argh!

That's pretty much it.

I'd say it was only the first Island pressing that had the longer versions.

re: the CDs.
Based on what I've read, the Mesopotamia / Party Mix contains a remixed Mesopotamia.
The separate CD has the original Warner Brothers version [without the extended tracks]

it's not, you know. i saw them this summer and it was appalling. lame dance versions of everything.

just been looking at some videos of them live this summer and i'm not seeing this, could you elaborate?

I saw them at the London Lovebox this summer and thought they were deadly. The new stuff is alright, not brilliant, but they did lots of old stuff and it sounded great. From my drunken bit of the field, admittedly.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/uncut/news/10556

The B-52's
have revealed the finishing details for their first new studio album in 16 years.

The band's seventh album 'Funplex' is due for release on February 26 and is the first new material since 1992's 'Good Stuff'.

The now New York based B-52s returned to their origins of Athens, Georgia to record 'Funplex' with New Order producer Steve Osborne.

Speaking to The Atlana Journal earlier this year, band singer Fred Schneider explained: "This is where we started, so it just feels right to be making this record here. We've loved recording at Nickel And Dime Studios, too. There are no distractions there. Once you're in Avondale, you're in Avondale. I love the Salvation Army there. I've found some great records there."

The B-52's have also announced their first headline shows at which they will preview their new poppier material.

The 'Funplex' track listing is:

'Pump'
'Hot Corner'
'Ultraviolet'
'Juliet Of The Spirits'
'Funplex'
'Eyes Wide Open'
'Love In The Year 3000'
'Deviant Ingredient'
'Too Much To Think About'
'Dancing Now'
'Keep This Party Going'

It's gonna suuuuuuuuuuck

i'll still buy it though

looks like the cover to a girls aloud album

6fmd0.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Diddles, yes!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back