The Arthurs Day Backlash Thread (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 141
  • Views 11K
  • Watchers 6

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Solutions
popular musicman Steve Wall on facebook said:
'Hey Arthur's Day is here...that cynical exercise in pulling the wool over Paddy's eyes. The ad agency who dreamt it up in the UK must be having a right old laugh! Look at the featured line-up: Fatboy Slim, Example, Tinie Tempah, Ellie Goulding, Professor Green, Mika, Texas, Amy MacDonald, Mumford & Sons, Primal Scream, Fun Lovin’ Criminals. They recently added Republic of Loose, as someone may have pointed out they should really feature an Irish act....it is in Ireland after all. The numerous other Irish acts will be playing slots in various bars around the country and won't feature on the TV coverage or the radio or on anything really - just like last year. I have to say it really sickens me, just when our music industry is really on it's knees we swallow this patronising bollox hook, line and sinker. If anyone says Happy Arthur's Day to me I'll fucking skull them.'

So,HWCH bashing thread has run outta steam..its turning into the metal appreciation thread.

So,Fuck Arthurs Day?

Yay Or Nay?

So,HWCH bashing thread has run outta steam..its turning into the metal appreciation thread.

So,Fuck Arthurs Day?

Yay Or Nay?

He just skims over the main reason to hate Arthur's day which is the fact that it's even a thing.

I can understand perfectly why they bring in foreign acts instead of using Irish ones, they want to make it seem like a event, putting on a load of bands that play those venues anyway every other month is not an event.

Like this:

Okay, people, we need to cook up a new holiday for the summer. Something with gifts, cards, assorted gougeables.
Costingtons Woman: How about something religious? We had great penetration last spring with Christmas Two.
Costingtons Man: Oh, I know. Spendover, like Passover, less talk, more presents.
[Everyone starts talking at once]
Costingtons Manager: No, no, no! No, it's gotta be warm and fuzzy. Some like, um, "Love Day", but not so lame.
[cut to the Simpsons home several days later]
Marge Simpson: Happy Love Day, everyone!

i knee jerked at this initally - look a bit deeper and its a confusing old tale
This year we are hoping to add many more of our acts to the Arthurs Day 2012 bill.

Premier Irish Profile Acts include.... The Walls.....

Arthurs day ireland seems to be only dealing with that representation company.

I think if they made this more inclusive and secular I would support it.

Happy Gargle Day! .....thats got a ring to it

with a belly full of lager, the last thing ye wanna think about is a pint of stout. I'm selling that to Carlsberg, btw, for probably the best beer holiday outside Oktoberfest.

This is good shit.

ArthurBritonsSpineShot_.jpg

The problem is not that Arthurs Day doesn't feature enough Irish acts prominently. The problem is that the whole concept is utter shite in the first place.

In 100 years this wil be as big as Paddies day

Already people think of it as some sort of national holiday. It's the insidious marketing and the overall stupidity of people, admirable in a way

Already people think of it as some sort of national holiday. It's the insidious marketing and the overall stupidity of people, admirable in a way

its the greatest marketing success of our times johnny - over the past 20 years theve pretty much laid claim to the concept of ireland as their brand (look at all the tourists buying up guiness branded tat as souveniers). probably one of the first things any foreigner will associate with ireland is guniess - not stout/beer - but the product/brand itself. thats cocacola level of brand association there. authurs day is just the logical conclusion - lets give the plebs a festival to celebrate the fact that we've hijacked their national identity.

its the greatest marketing success of our times johnny - over the past 20 years theve pretty much laid claim to the concept of ireland as their brand (look at all the tourists buying up guiness branded tat as souveniers). probably one of the first things any foreigner will associate with ireland is guniess - not stout/beer - but the product/brand itself. thats cocacola level of brand association there. authurs day is just the logical conclusion - lets give the plebs a festival to celebrate the fact that we've hijacked their national identity.

A few months ago I overheard a couple of people discussing some mad shit they'd been up to when they'd ben out together, they couldn't remember if it was last Arthur's Day or the one before that.

A few months ago I overheard a couple of people discussing some mad shit they'd been up to when they'd ben out together, they couldn't remember if it was last Arthur's Day or the one before that.

i for one am going to spend the evening mixing tracks badly and enjoying a bottle or two of this...
OHIPA+Glass+and+Bottle+%28mL%29.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back