the arcade fire (1 Viewer)

Jesus, these guys were always chronic. Insufferable, overwrought, panicky vocals.

But that fact may have been compounded by living with this trainee accountant from Limerick around 2006 in beautiful Whitehall that would blast out that egregious Wake Up song every morning for months on end.

Comparing them to U2 is harsh on U2.

have fond ol memories of that 1st arcade fire album I must say. saw me out of my last few months of an Arts degree that year. loads of memories of causal drinking of cans and chain smoking packets of drum with that in the background. good times. culminated nicely with the EP 05. Was sick shit of it a month or so later mind im pretty sure. liked the second album. haven't listened to it in years. no intention to any time soon either. bought the suburbs cd with leftover £ in Heathrow when it was released. don't think i played it in full more than once, if at all. nothing more after that. went through a few days of listening to funeral again last year. enjoyed it a lot.

outta curiosity, what was the last few debut albums since to cause a fuss like that? whether you liked them or not

A long long time ago
I can still remember how
That music used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And maybe they'd be happy for a while

So who is going to stick by their guns 15 years later and who is going to pretend they were hacked that week?

they have "remastered" the video to celebrate 15 years of Funeral.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm not a massive fan but their last album is wayyyyyyyyy underrated.

Funny to read a thread about a band or record, but it being January 2005 there are no YouTube links. If only it had been posted a month later Damien wouldn't have to keep guessing what they might sound like.

have fond ol memories of that 1st arcade fire album I must say. saw me out of my last few months of an Arts degree that year. loads of memories of causal drinking of cans and chain smoking packets of drum with that in the background. good times. culminated nicely with the EP 05. Was sick shit of it a month or so later mind im pretty sure. liked the second album. haven't listened to it in years. no intention to any time soon either. bought the suburbs cd with leftover £ in Heathrow when it was released. don't think i played it in full more than once, if at all. nothing more after that. went through a few days of listening to funeral again last year. enjoyed it a lot.

outta curiosity, what was the last few debut albums since to cause a fuss like that? whether you liked them or not

the last few recently or since then?

Arctic Monkeys and Vampire Weekend in the years after I guess?

Then Kendrick Lamar maybe? Frank Ocean? Lana Del Ray? The XX? FKA Twigs? None of those albums really took over culture in that way Arcade Fire seemed to, I think people hedge their bets a lot more these days.

Well either that or the complete collapse of music journalism?

Last edited:
I have it on good authority that Billie Eilish is the top artist of a lot of women on tinder in the West
Ah we're only a few months in, still time for a backlash. This is like when everyone was saying stupid shit like "I don't normally like pop music but this Somebody That I used to Know / Royals song is great"

the last few recently or since then?

Arctic Monkeys and Vampire Weekend in the years after I guess?

Then Kendrick Lamar maybe? Frank Ocean? Lana Del Ray? The XX? FKA Twigs? None of those albums really took over culture in that way Arcade Fire seemed to, I think people hedge their bets a lot more these days.

Well either that or the complete collapse of music journalism?

since then. yeah, I think Funeral was one of the last debuts where a ridiculous amount of all sorts of people were ranting and raving about it. For better or worse. Strokes a few years earlier was equally as big. Arctic Monkeys around their 1st album were huge alright. Never heard anything by them aside from the singles here and there. liked those bits i heard produced by josh homme though a few years later. Suppose those types of big debuts historically don't come around too often do they? as in, big upon their release rather than liked by the masses years later

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back