Techniques and playing styles (1 Viewer)

you know Gareth, if you did a lot less yapping and a lot more sweeping, you'd get a cleaner sound out of your guitar.

that was a pun.

BUt if you're self taught, you have to learn new styles and new techniques. Without a teacher, you. I wouldn't still be wanking over Mr Atkins if I hadn't sat down and learnt his alternating bass style, which then meant I could go on from that to MIssissippi John Hurt , or Rev Gary Davis , to maybe writing stuff in that vein, which was an eye opener.
. Sometimes the only way to open up something for yourself is to get into the detail. I was playing guitar for three years and still shit before I realised that if I took ten minutes to ask somebody or read something on certain techniques
I could play and write better stuff( at least to me). Does that not make sense ? Anyone you revere as a guitar player will have done the same, a hundredfold. Or, obviously, anyone playing anything.
uhm i see what you're saying but what i was going to say before my pal brian warned me that i was making an idiot of myself, was that for me the idea of someone saying "try this way" or "that way" is just weird. i pick up a guitar and find what feels comfy and natural. yeah theres stuff to be learned from the greats like chet but for me all that i can take from them is what i see.
guitar for me is just about playing and practising. i hear something then i go try figure it out. thus it means i play it in my own way. if you go and read a magazine or study how someone plays guitar then you're more than likely just gonna end up emulating them. and thats why there arent as many guitar players blazing there own trail anymore. too much imitation and not enough innovation. or not innovation really. just originality. get me? chet atkins and eddie van halen im sure didn't learn too much from reading about playing styles.

your pal,
gar

haha you didn't hurt my feelings,Im an emotional stone on the internet.
I think I only ever posted one Metallica clip too and never claimed to be a god of metal...whatever that is.The only reason I post on shit metal related a lot is because I know more about it than any other kind of music thats posted about here....

However,you have consistently replied to my posts on this forum with "phffft thats shit" type comments.....so what do you expect?

Sure I take the piss out of people here but its mostly on such topical threads as "Im in on Saturday in hotpants" or "I need sex" or whatever type threads.

I wasnt saying you knew nothing either,I was pointing out the inconcictency of labelling shit as widdly widdly shite and saying Van Halen are great or Saxon are great.

The googling comment was a little out of order.I apologise for that but not the rest.

wow! i completely fail to see what your point is now.
im not sure ive ever labelled anything as "widdly widdly". have i?
i'll reply with "pfft thats shit" if i think what you post is shit. that's what this forum is all about.
hey brian look at THIS for example;

scroll down to your post there. so please cop on. and lets be friends.
im going for a widdle widdle now.
.|..| :heart:

uhm i see what you're saying but what i was going to say before my pal brian warned me that i was making an idiot of myself, was that for me the idea of someone saying "try this way" or "that way" is just weird. i pick up a guitar and find what feels comfy and natural. yeah theres stuff to be learned from the greats like chet but for me all that i can take from them is what i see.
guitar for me is just about playing and practising. i hear something then i go try figure it out. thus it means i play it in my own way. if you go and read a magazine or study how someone plays guitar then you're more than likely just gonna end up emulating them. and thats why there arent as many guitar players blazing there own trail anymore. too much imitation and not enough innovation. or not innovation really. just originality. get me? chet atkins and eddie van halen im sure didn't learn too much from reading about playing styles.
your pal,
gar

Most great players, definitely chet, yous'd know more about eddie, had the chance of learning from the greats before them though, and the reason they're great players is because they had the talent and imagination to do what they wanted with what they learned.
One of the reasons guitar teachers are generally shit songwriters is because they play everything by the book. But if you pick an instrument up chances are you're hindering herself becasue you've got something wrong. I'm not talking about a style, it's techniques. Look at self taught traditional fiddlers. Even the amazing ones could learn something from the classicallytrained, if just how to hold a bow so you don't cramp up. That's what technique is. Learning how to do something you wouldn't have figured out on your own is completely different from learning to play like someone else .
Don't tell me that every respected and unique guitarist only ever developed their own technique , competely independantly, because it doesnt happen like that . that's true of every field , not just music.

I went and had a look at that sweep yoke, if I ever get halfway decent you'd know I would never end up playing metal riffs , but I might be able to do something with it. It's not about emulating them or playing a style, it's giving yourself the oppurtunity to widen the range of how you play an instrument. THe more you know, the more you can do with it. People who study technique have the facility to do something original - creativity isn't something you learn, it's something you have.

All this talk, but I'm still shit at guitar.

your muse ,
Gus.
Sorry , brian, Im done hijacking. hit me with another technique I've not heard of.

wow! i completely fail to see what your point is now.
im not sure ive ever labelled anything as "widdly widdly". have i?
i'll reply with "pfft thats shit" if i think what you post is shit. that's what this forum is all about.
hey brian look at THIS for example;

scroll down to your post there. so please cop on. and lets be friends.
im going for a widdle widdle now.
.|..| :heart:

Now in fairness you did.
Stupidly good guitar playing thread page 6 scroll down.
Its not nonsense,its arpeggios strung together and sweeped,not amazingly musical but I think its cool.

I also think Eddie Van Halen did become great by learning scales and techniques.Nobody is born with that kind of playing.In fairness he was really innovative with the development of tapping etc but he was schooled to an extent.I dont think this point is arguable really.

I learn shit like you too,figure it out.But sometimes when it doesnt sound right i.e a sweep picking part in a solo..I go learn how to sweep pick and then try it.

Same with learning Bert Jansch stuff.I looked up how fingerpicking worked and learned off some people who could do it.I dont play any of that stuff note for note..I couldnt..but it doesnt hurt to know whats going on and if anything it makes the process of figuring stuff out and applying your take on it easier.

I think Sonic Youth and Slint suck.You hate Metallica.Its a bit of a playground argument.I dont think I ever said anything to you about your opinions on Metallica either way.

Anyway,why not post up some fingerpicking tips and get this thread back on course.

I wish I'd learnt more "proper" guitar when I was starting. I don't even know any scales. In fact the closest I've come to a lesson was figuring out how to read TAB and leaning War Pigs and Over My Head from GuitarWorld magazine. I learnt a great deal even from that!
I've been asked to teach guitar to a few people in my time and I always refuse and tell them all they'll be learning is bad technique.

i pick up a guitar and find what feels comfy and natural. yeah theres stuff to be learned from the greats like chet but for me all that i can take from them is what i see.

It must be really amazing to be that naturally talented and be so sure that what 'feels comfy and natural' too you is so on the money. And to have perfected a style and sound so timeless and perfect, that you have nothing left, or no desire, too learn anything new. Seriously, how lucky for you... now how about your give the rest of us who have to work at this shit a break...

too much imitation and not enough innovation. or not innovation really. just originality

I can't wait to hear your kick ass guitar playing with 'your holy crap that sounds like nothing I've heard before in my life' band...

Rock On Brian Oaksy, Rock On!

Looks pretty easy really

I showed this clip to a guy in work

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He said, "I have the same 69 fender strat"(or whatever it is)

I said " yeah, but can you play it like that?" with an underlying chuckle at the ridiculousness of such a statement

"Yes" he said

"No you fucking cant" I said, "or you would not be sitting beside me in this poxy job"

I believe I was right to do so

more importantly Michael, how's your SOOTY and sweep picking?

sooty_sweep_150_150x180.jpg

*sorry*

Just a lil note about Eddie Van Halen, he was classically trained by his father and when Van Halen started out they were a regular club cover band playing 2-3 hour sets each night. I'm not getting involved in your lil handbag routine Brian and Gareth, I'm just sharing the wealth.

Also that pink guitar is horrible but did ya see where the Volume knob is, that'd be very handy.

Anyway,why not post up some fingerpicking tips and get this thread back on course.

fingerpicking is the only thing I can do on guitar with any degree of decency.
John hurt probably is the best picker to learn because all his songs were identical , and easy enough. fuckin great though. check out his thumb though- alternating bass with deadly little half arpeggio bits ( if that's actually a term)

and then merle travis or jerry reed for speed and banjo rolls. jerry reed didnt even know what he was doing half of the time but it usually sounds great, and it's a style of playing I'd never seen on a guitar before

Youtube is great for learning bits and pieces

Ive been looking as this guys really slow/beginner version of Jerry Reeds Breakdown to work it out

theres a whole thread somwhere here devoted to fingerpicking and flatpicking

Gilbert, i recognise his name. What band was he in?

Racer X and Mr Big and a bunch of solo albums.
I think he is a bit of a hired gun nowadays but his tutorials in TG,well the last of them over the last few months when I payed attention were great.

It must be really amazing to be that naturally talented and be so sure that what 'feels comfy and natural' too you is so on the money. And to have perfected a style and sound so timeless and perfect, that you have nothing left, or no desire, too learn anything new. Seriously, how lucky for you... now how about your give the rest of us who have to work at this shit a break...

I can't wait to hear your kick ass guitar playing with 'your holy crap that sounds like nothing I've heard before in my life' band...

Rock On Brian Oaksy, Rock On!
uh. thats not what i said at all pantone. first off my comment has been blown out of proportion to say the least.

EDIT> actually fuck it yeah i was wrong. was just arguing for the sake of it.
pantone keep your comments to yourself. i am a medicore guitar player.
no more, no less. you are a bitter man.

i grew up playing grunge and its only recently that ive been interested in heavy metal guitar. maybe more riffology than solos but still. in fact its only recently that i started playing standard tunings and dicking about with ac/dc riffs and the like. all ive been doing recently is playing with scales or at least familiarising myself with em. anybody suggest any decent scales? keeping in mind that i listen mostly to saxon and van halen.
and more importantly any exercises to help strengthen the little finger?

gussy you are a really good guitar player.
brian we at peace now? was a good arguement though yeah? im sure it provided amusement for a few people. lesson of the day: pantone likes sarcasm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back