Talking Heads (1 Viewer)

HalfHunter

Website
www.skinnywolves.com
Can some well informed person please recommend a good Talking Heads LP to start with. I have never paid them much attention untill now and I saw Stop Making Sense the other night and it was very good.

talking heads 77
more songs about buildings and food
fear of music

all you need really.

if you want a comp, then Sand in the Vaseline is cool.

i think fear of music has dated pretty badly, such an unbelievably sterile sounding record.

my personal fave is more songs about buildings and food, followed by 77 and remain in light.
speaking in tongues has fared the worst over the years. the true stories lp was pretty good, and i have quite like little creatures and naked also.

that tom tom club lp is terrible shite though

77 - punky pop new wave Heads, really good

More Songs About Buldings And Food - I quite like it, still not as good as 77 though I reckon

Remain In Light - they were on a weird trip with Eno by this time, very good but a bit soulless. Adrian Belew is on it and it's all bleeps and bloops. A bit dated too. It's their weirdest album

Speaking In Tongues - a bit angular

Stop Making Sense the album is REALLY good

Little Creatures - this has Road to Nowhere and And She Was, good

True Stories - a film by David Byrne, watch it if only for wild wild life

his solo stuff for the most part is world music drudge.I stopped giving a shite what he was doing after a while.Maybe hes got sense and left the black/lesbian/ilama farmers alone and made some decent records recently.

Latex lizzie said:
his solo stuff for the most part is world music drudge.I stopped giving a shite what he was doing after a while.Maybe hes got sense and left the black/lesbian/ilama farmers alone and made some decent records recently.
rei momo is a good album but yeah the latin vibe is a bit boring

david byrne "david byrne" was good too as far as I can remember.

saw him at feile and he was very good. he did some TH songs too.

there were two albums to go along with 'true stories'. the band one and the soundtrack one.... the soundtrack one is a fantastic mish-mash of tex-mex and chamber music and glass harmoniums and all sorts. recommended! I hate the band one.
i'd have thought that 'fear of music' and 'remain in light' have had time to go out of date and come back in by now a la disco and new wave and everthin. love those records!!!

while were on the subject does anyone remember 4 or 5 years ago in temple bar there was a film night where they projected, onto the walls outside real early footage from CBGB's i think. it featured blondie, suicide and talking heads?

on the david byrne side, the stuff that his label (luaka bop) puts out is way better than his own stuff: os mutantes, tom ze etc...

nEiLo said:
i'd forgotton about that one.
deadly album. the orb sampled every last second of it!
and fsol.

its all over lifeforms. i used to think, "wow, how the fuck did they make those sounds?" now i know. they fucking stole them. sleezy punx.

start with sand in the vasaline...

i cant really choose a fave, i love em all but remain in light edges a little bit ahead of the rest...

tom tom club are a big mistake and The Heads are a joke...

davids solo stuff is a bit hit and miss, but when i saw him in the stadium about 8 years ago it was a truely amazing show

also, i picked up the new edition of stop making sence recently for the cheap and it still rules! extra songs... deadly...

I'd love to have been at that concert, if only black guys danced like white guys nowadays...

the live LP And The Name Of The Band Is Talking Heads is a great intro
but not available on CD yet

any of the first 4 LPs are good beginners
77 was great, Buildings better and they peaked with Fear In Music and Remain In Light

after that it went down slightly
Speaking In Tongues is a good record but Little Creatures is only fair by their standards

True Stories and Naked have their moments

Stop Making Sense rocks. Make sure you get the expanded edition.

As for compilations
Talking Heads Remixed is um, uh, interesting but Sand In The Vaseline is a good primer.
Failing that get the box set that came out last Christmas - Once In A Lifetime. The songs are all remastered and you get the Storytelling Giant DVD.

costly though and awkward to store.

I like the Tom Tom Club and David Byrne's The Catherine Wheel is good too

did anyone see that 'remain in light' was voted 2nd best album of the 80s after 'Daydream Nation' on pitchfork? I would,'t go that far but for what it's worth it's my favourite.still fresh even today and the lyrics are fuckin spot on

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back