TALIB KWELI's forst evah show in ireland next Wed 28th (1 Viewer)

Deaglan

Website
www.goodluckski.com
TALIB KWELI

The Village, Wexford St.

Wed 28th September. Doors 8pm.

Tickets €27.50 from Wav, Ticketmaster and usual outlets. www.ticketmaster.ie or ph: 1890 200 078

Finally making a his Irish debut after years of anticipation, Brooklyn’s Talib Kweli plays at The Village on Wenesday week 28th September. Universally acknowledged as one of the best lyricists and rapper sin the world over the last seven or eight years years; Talib Kweli first came to prominence as part of records scene through his work with Mos Def, Hi Tek, Pharoah Monch and others.

His new album, produced by long time collaborators Kanye West features Mary J Blige, Common, John Legend and Faith Evans amongst the guests and it’s quality ensure that word on this rising star is set to spread. Also playing at The Village on the night are Ireland’s DJ Flip, famous for having won the world DMC championship in December 2003 (coming second in last year’s was still further than any other Irish DJ has achieved) and much-vaunted MC Rob Kelly.

TALIB KWELI

"Life is a beautiful struggle/People search through the rubble for a suitable hustle/Some people using the noodle, some people using the muscle/Some people put it all together, make it fit like a puzzle"

-Talib Kweli, "I Try"

An old saying is that the pen is mightier than the sword, and nowhere is this more apparent than on Brooklyn rapper Talib Kweli's second solo offering, The Beautiful Struggle. An explosive aural stockade of rhymes touching on issues ranging from his own ashy-knuckled New York upbringing to the plight of AIDS-infected orphans in Sierra Leone, hip-hop's premier scholarly MC returns to drop sonic A-bombs on lesser lyricists and restore hope among those struggling to find meaning in the ruins of rap's gallingly vacuous empire of Bling.

"Beautiful Struggle is like another way of saying 'a good fight,' " Kweli explains. “In describing the struggle, you're also talking about where you're trying to get at the end of that struggle, and that's somewhere beautiful. So while the struggle might be hard, what you're fighting for makes it beautiful."

To this end, Talib kicks off his new set with the inspirational, gospel-tinged "I Try," featuring Mary J. Blige. A powerful piano-driven tribute to overtime-working 9-to-5ers searching for more meaning in their weary lives, the Kanye West-produced tune picks up where Talib’s 2002 Billboard smash "Get By" left off.

Kweli's ascension to the top has been a long time coming. Gaining notoriety as one-half of the groups Black Star (with childhood friend Mos Def) in 1998 and then Reflection Eternal (with Cincinnati DJ Hi-Tek) in 2000, the cerebral MC, due to his insightful, well-crafted lyrics and passionate delivery, has long been considered one of the most prolific rappers in the game.

The eldest of two sons born to college professors, Talib Kweli (which means "student of truth" in Arabic) realized he had a knack for self-expression as early as elementary school. Gifted in writing poetry, short stories and plays, as Kweli entered junior high, the awkward teen, who had once harbored dreams of becoming a Major League Baseball player, ditched his plans after discovering a market for his written wares among his friends. "I wasn't really one of the cool kids," Kweli recalls. "Hip-hop became a way for me to write and be cool; it gave me a language to speak to my peers. I started writing rhymes for my friends, and then I eventually began writing rhymes for myself."

But schoolyard rap ciphers would give way to professional ambition when Kweli met Dante Smith (aka Mos Def) years later in high school, and then producer Tony "DJ Hi-Tek" Cottrell, during a 1994 trip to Cincinnati. Impressed by Kweli's rhyme style, Hi-Tek, who was working with a local rap clique named Mood at the time, tapped him to appear on several tracks for group's 1997 album, Doom. The same year, Kweli and Hi-Tek, dubbing themselves Reflection Eternal, released "Fortified Live," a now classic single on Rawkus' first Soundbombing compilation.

Flipping the script the following year, Kweli teamed up with Mos Def to record and release Mos Def and Talib Kweli Are Black Star. Hailed one of best albums of 1998, the pair went on to spearhead the making of Hip-Hop for Respect less than a year later. The four-song maxi-single featuring 41 MCs--including Kool G. Rap, De La Soul, Common and dead prez, was created to protest the murder of Amadou Diallo, an unarmed African immigrant shot 41 times by New York City cops in 1999.

After reuniting briefly with Hi-Tek in 2000 to drop the refreshingly original Reflection Eternal - the brainchild of a brilliant MC and masterful musician which yielded Billboard hits "Move Somethin’" and "The Blast", Kweli finally went off on his own to release the highly-anticipated Quality in 2002, much to the delight of many of his long-time supporters. The album, producing such potential hip-hop classics as the feel-good hit "Get By," "Waitin' for the DJ" and "Joy," helped secured Kweli's reputation as one of the most talented MCs of our generation.

"I released Quality to prove I could make an album without Mos or Hi-Tek," says Kweli. "They're highly talented people, but I needed to show my fans what I was capable of … I also needed to show myself."

Although Quality is a tough act to follow, The Beautiful Struggle certainly does not disappoint. Kweli demonstrates just how well he holds his own on tracks like the Neptunes-produced “Broken Glass,” a harrowing tale of a young girl whose struggle to make it in the big-city streets ends tragically when she’s lured into drugs and prostitution.

Next the rapper teams up with R&B newcomer John Legend for "Around My Way," a somber report on the perils of 'hood life that flows against a musical backdrop of one of Sting's classics with The Police, "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic." Some of his shrewdest work ever, he spits passionately over the chorus "All the corners filled with sorrow/All the streets are filled with pain/Around my way."

On the violin-supported, Just-Blaze track “Never Been in Love,” a lovesick Talib puts his pimp game high on up the shelf and opts to do the grown-up commitment thing. Kweli also enlisted the help of his soul label mate RES on "We Got the Beat," a nod to the pioneers of breakdancing.

Having collaborated with many of rap's A-list producers on Struggle as well as guest stars such as Common, Faith Evans, and Anthony Hamilton -Talib is excited to introduce the project he calls one of his most honest works to date. "On this album I let the music dictate what I wrote about ... I stayed true to my own experiences and convictions. I didn't worry about pleasing anybody in particular … I just wrote for myself. It is my hope that this kind of truth and sincerity resonates with my fans."

heres info on Jeru the damaja gig coming up too.

also coming soon we gots J live on 29th oct and Scratch on 10th Nov

Wide O presents

JERU THE DAMAJA (GangStarr Foundation)

+

Collie

Ri Ra, Dame Court

Fri 7th October 2005. 11:30pm till late

Tickets €12 from City Discs, Sound Cellar, ROAD, All City or on the door.

One of the most respected MCs ever to have emerged from Brooklyn New York, JERU THE DAMAJA, graces our shores next month when he plays an intimate gig in Dublin’s Ri Ra on Friday 7th October. A rapper whose trademark is his straight-talking narrative style of rapping, JERU first shook the world on Gang Starr’s 1992 Daily Operations album. His last open show in Ireland was a sold out appearance at POD over four years ago so expect queues around the corner to see this legend in action.

Support comes from Donaghmede’s second biggest musical export Collie who stunned the most cynical of critics with a memorably confident show before Jurassic 5 at Vicar St last month. Having since played to some 80,000 at 02 in The Park; this show is something of a low-key affair for the man who is also celebrating the top 20 placiong of his debut album Is Ainm Dom.

And the ticket price… €12 (yes twelve) euros only..

Jeru the Damaja – biography

Jeru the Damaja (born Jeru Davis) aka D. Original Dirty Rotten Scoundrel hails from Brooklyn, NY where he was born and raised. Jeru spent his early years in East New York, Brooklyn being introduced to hip hop music in the local parks “before it was popular” as he says. After completion of high school Jeru knew exactly what he wanted to do, be an MC. Influenced at the time by soon to be legends like Big Daddy Kane, Rakim, KRS One and Kool G Rap Jeru set out on his quest while he worked part time jobs in Manhattan.

Jeru created and took on the persona of “the Damaja” (because he damages the mic) that is part conscious truth teller and part true to the streets Brooklyn hard rock. Jeru the Damaja then hooked up with DJ Premiere and Guru, collectively known as Gangstarr, shortly after they moved to New York in the late 1980’s. Jeru first introduced his unique hardcore Brooklyn style to Hip Hop audiences on “I’m the Man” a track on Gangstarr’s 1992 Daily Operations album. The East New York native then cemented his place in the Hip Hop world by releasing the 1993 classic single “Come Clean” from his legendary album, The Sun Rises in the East. After a two year hiatus, Jeru then released his album The Wrath of the Math that included the hit singles “Ya Playin Yaself” and “Me or the Papes” and was proclaimed the savior of hip hop due to his honest and straightforward lyrics. In 2000 Jeru released his album Heroz 4 Hire completely autonomously, from the production of the album to the albums release on his own independent label KnowSavage Records. With this release he established himself as a multitalented, multifaceted, artist and business person and even ventured behind the camera by directing the videos for his single “99.9 %” and “El Presidente” a single with DJ Honda.

Since the release of his last album Heroz 4 Hire, Jeru has been touring extensively throughout the United States, Europe, South America, and Africa. In between tours Jeru has done joint projects with the gold selling UK group Groove Armada, DJ Cut Killa, Doudou Masta in France, DJ Honda from Japan now based in New York and recorded with DJ Hazu from Japan. A song Jeru did, “Verses of Doom” with the production of Chad Muska, a professional skateboarder, can be heard on the Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4 released the end of 2002 and is on Chad’s compilation album Muska Beatz.

Jeru is presently finishing production on his fourth album that will be released on his new label Ashenafi Records. It will feature production by Jeru, and new producers Ed Dantes and Sabor. The first single will be released in the summer of 2003. His latest release is highly anticipated by the entire hip-hop community and will be the culmination of ten celebrated years in the music business. Jeru believes that this will be his best work put together with fresh new production and will be reminiscent of the early days of hip hop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back