Takes crazy to know crazy? (1 Viewer)

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
Anyone else have strange interactions with strangers lately?

Ya know how some people just have the same face on them no matter their mood. Kenau Reeves always looks confused. The silly guy from Prison Break always looks like he's concentrating too hard. Tom Cruise always looks crazy. Bass players always have their tongue between their bottom teeth and lip and do that neck turtle bob thing. You get the drift. I must always look dreadfully sad despite being in the greatest mood. All week I have been flying high.

Friday I was on my way home from the cinema. I went to go see Happy-go-lucky alone, apropos in retrospect. I decided to take the Luas the few stops home rather than walk through the drunkards. So I am standing there and three of the ticket takers are hanging out across from me talking. One turns to me:

Ticket guy: Smile, it's not so bad.
Me: Oh, I'm grand just a bit tired.
Ticket guy: Just off work?
Me: Nah, just left the cinema.
Ticket guy: Alone?
Me: Yeah.
Ticket Guy: You got no friends?
Me: A couple
Ticket Guy: Only a couple, don't you socialize?
Me: I try.
Ticket guy: Try harder girl, that's just depressing.
Me: One shouldn't be talking during a movie anyway, what's wrong with going alone?
Ticket guy: I'll give you my number, sad girl. Next time I take you to the movies. [then he starts pointing out night clubs I should check out]
Me: Thanks, but I'm not a night club kind of girl. [exits train]

Taxi driver (in his sixties) today (I never sit in the front of taxis but the back door was blocked by a pole. NEVER AGAIN)

Taxi: Where are you from?
Me: Upstate New York...near the Canadian border.
Taxi: How long you here?
Me: Two years.
Taxi: Well that's enough time, how you finding it?
Me: It's grand.
Taxi: You don't show it on your face.
Me: Oh no, I love it here. I don't miss the US, I just miss some of the people.
Taxi: but the US is wonderful.....
Me: So is Ireland.
Taxi: My daughter went traveling all over the US. Sowing her wild oats, so she was. The stories I heard....weeks with electricity and living on rice. Loved it though.
Me: Well, the time to do that is when you're young and carefree.
Taxi: True. Many get married too young these days. Everyone needs to get out there and experience life.
Me: Agreed.
Taxi: I'm married 37 years but we're just friends now. The wife wants the daughter to settle down but why not have fun, ya know?
Me: Well, I wish my mom had your attitude.
Taxi: She gives you a hard time, does she?
Me: Well, I think it would ease her mind to know I had a man in my life.
Taxi: I'm Marty [shakes my hand while driving]
Me: Nice to meet you Marty, I'm Jane.
Taxi: What do you like to do for fun?
Me: I love live music.
Taxi: Me too, a lot of outdoor sessions coming up. Dance hall nights in Kildare on Thursdays (rambled on for like 10 minutes)....Well Jane, I know I'm a bit older but I'd love to take you there on my arm. You'd be snatched up in seconds! I's so you off and make you smile.
Me: [awkward smile while actually picturing going to some dance hall night with old men in their 60's... and I chucked].
Taxi: Seriously, I'd love to take you. You're a lovely girl. Just lovely.
Me: umm thanks. [Meanwhile we have been stopped in front of my place for five minutes with me trying to give him money]
Me: Keep the change. [As I open up the door...]
Taxi: Ah sure, you gotta go, I understand.
Me: Thanks. Nice to meet you, Marty.
Taxi: A pleasure, Jane. You should smile more. [wink]

Earlier looking at a flat:
Guy: So what do you do for a living?
Me: I'm a librarian.
Guy: So it is just you and some books, yeah?
Me: Something like that...well I don't have much here (meaning belongings) being from the US and all.
Guy: Wow, that's depressing. At least you'd be quiet.
Me: Don't you know...we are so busy shushing all day that when we librarians get out of work we get all rowdy and loud.
Guy: [confused/scared look] Really?
Me: No....I was joking. I'm quiet.
Guy: Well, it looks like getting rowdy would do some good.

Just really weird conversations. I need one of those signs like in toilets that say vacant or occupied but instead "sad" or "really, I'm fine." Or maybe I just need to put Vaseline on my teeth, ffs.

I had a conversation with a man who described spending 5 days pinned down by gunfire in a trench in the Congo. And another time he was watching at a Greek Cypriot through his binoculars when the Greek got shot through the head.

Then another chap told us how he drove from London to Galway (with 17 hours in Holyhead) in a clapped out van. He had to refill the water tank every ten miles for the entire journey. It took days but he "had to get out of fuckin' London".

But that's just my local, I'm practically a stranger there though.

Anyone else have strange interactions with strangers lately?

Ya know how some people just have the same face on them no matter their mood. Kenau Reeves always looks confused. The silly guy from Prison Break always looks like he's concentrating too hard. Tom Cruise always looks crazy. Bass players always have their tongue between their bottom teeth and lip and do that neck turtle bob thing. You get the drift. I must always look dreadfully sad despite being in the greatest mood. All week I have been flying high.

Friday I was on my way home from the cinema. I went to go see Happy-go-lucky alone, apropos in retrospect. I decided to take the Luas the few stops home rather than walk through the drunkards. So I am standing there and three of the ticket takers are hanging out across from me talking. One turns to me:

Ticket guy: Smile, it's not so bad.
Me: Oh, I'm grand just a bit tired.
Ticket guy: Just off work?
Me: Nah, just left the cinema.
Ticket guy: Alone?
Me: Yeah.
Ticket Guy: You got no friends?
Me: A couple
Ticket Guy: Only a couple, don't you socialize?
Me: I try.
Ticket guy: Try harder girl, that's just depressing.
Me: One shouldn't be talking during a movie anyway, what's wrong with going alone?
Ticket guy: I'll give you my number, sad girl. Next time I take you to the movies. [then he starts pointing out night clubs I should check out]
Me: Thanks, but I'm not a night club kind of girl. [exits train]

Taxi driver (in his sixties) today (I never sit in the front of taxis but the back door was blocked by a pole. NEVER AGAIN)

Taxi: Where are you from?
Me: Upstate New York...near the Canadian border.
Taxi: How long you here?
Me: Two years.
Taxi: Well that's enough time, how you finding it?
Me: It's grand.
Taxi: You don't show it on your face.
Me: Oh no, I love it here. I don't miss the US, I just miss some of the people.
Taxi: but the US is wonderful.....
Me: So is Ireland.
Taxi: My daughter went traveling all over the US. Sowing her wild oats, so she was. The stories I heard....weeks with electricity and living on rice. Loved it though.
Me: Well, the time to do that is when you're young and carefree.
Taxi: True. Many get married too young these days. Everyone needs to get out there and experience life.
Me: Agreed.
Taxi: I'm married 37 years but we're just friends now. The wife wants the daughter to settle down but why not have fun, ya know?
Me: Well, I wish my mom had your attitude.
Taxi: She gives you a hard time, does she?
Me: Well, I think it would ease her mind to know I had a man in my life.
Taxi: I'm Marty [shakes my hand while driving]
Me: Nice to meet you Marty, I'm Jane.
Taxi: What do you like to do for fun?
Me: I love live music.
Taxi: Me too, a lot of outdoor sessions coming up. Dance hall nights in Kildare on Thursdays (rambled on for like 10 minutes)....Well Jane, I know I'm a bit older but I'd love to take you there on my arm. You'd be snatched up in seconds! I's so you off and make you smile.
Me: [awkward smile while actually picturing going to some dance hall night with old men in their 60's... and I chucked].
Taxi: Seriously, I'd love to take you. You're a lovely girl. Just lovely.
Me: umm thanks. [Meanwhile we have been stopped in front of my place for five minutes with me trying to give him money]
Me: Keep the change. [As I open up the door...]
Taxi: Ah sure, you gotta go, I understand.
Me: Thanks. Nice to meet you, Marty.
Taxi: A pleasure, Jane. You should smile more. [wink]

Earlier looking at a flat:
Guy: So what do you do for a living?
Me: I'm a librarian.
Guy: So it is just you and some books, yeah?
Me: Something like that...well I don't have much here (meaning belongings) being from the US and all.
Guy: Wow, that's depressing. At least you'd be quiet.
Me: Don't you know...we are so busy shushing all day that when we librarians get out of work we get all rowdy and loud.
Guy: [confused/scared look] Really?
Me: No....I was joking. I'm quiet.
Guy: Well, it looks like getting rowdy would do some good.

Just really weird conversations. I need one of those signs like in toilets that say vacant or occupied but instead "sad" or "really, I'm fine." Or maybe I just need to put Vaseline on my teeth, ffs.

sound's like a good laugh to be honest

I remember the two nights I spent training to be a night security in Our Lady's Manor - the old folks home in Dalkey.
Twelve hours alone with another stranger.

The guy who trained me in hated people.
The guy I trained in used to be bassist in the Frames.

The guy who worked the opposite shift of me had a copy of the Encyclopedia of Serial Killers under the desk.

ahh I dunno Hayworth, they seem like they were just being nice. And then obviously the oulfella just chancin his arm aswell.

Billy, something about the concept of you having a job fills me with mirth. I used to think it was just the jobs you had that were funny, but then I realised it was the actual idea of you working for someone that was funny.

If the world was arranged properly you would be a freelance thinker and chatter.

ahh I dunno Hayworth, they seem like they were just being nice. And then obviously the oulfella just chancin his arm aswell.

Oh I know, and I got a great laugh out of all of them. I was just commenting on the fact that everyone assumes I am sad when I am not. Common theme, so it is. I wasn't complaining as such, just pointing out a reoccurring, "Smile, it's not that bad...." approach. I am going to practice smiling all day today. I think it will freak people out.

Oh I know, and I got a great laugh out of all of them. I was just commenting on the fact that everyone assumes I am sad when I am not. Common theme, so it is. I wasn't complaining as such, just pointing out a reoccurring, "Smile, it's not that bad...." approach. I am going to practice smiling all day today. I think it will freak people out.

ahh cheer up will ya.

It's not that bad.

wanna go on a date?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back