Synth DIY (1 Viewer)

chutneyfarmer

Anyone here built their own synth before? I know a few of us have built the dronelab but has anyone every built one from scratch?

Thinking of building a simple mini-modular one, kind of based on the Lunetta synths discussed here...

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/forum-160.html

and a few other ideas and schematics I've picked up over the years.

Thinking of building one with a few oscillators, a few gated oscillators, a mixer or two, ring mod (either active or passive), possibly a passive low-pass or high pass filter with different settings for the frequencies it sweeps, possibly a distortion or fuzz, who knows what else.

Just looking to bounce around a few ideas, share tips etc......

What would be the best way to power all this stuff from a single source actually?

I think the 40106 is the ocillator section on the dronelab if I remember right.

You can get a total of 6 oscillators from 1 chip I believe so gonna use one to make 4 audio oscillators and 2 sub-oscillators.

chut if your interested, i have some spare SN 764677 for the synth i'm building...

full infor here.

Aw cool, thanks, might take you up on that! Can't check out them sites in work but I'll have a look at home later.

Yeah them Lunettas are pretty cool. Really like the whole ethos of them. Simple and noisey :)

yeah a guy put together a nice board which would give you some nice building blocks for starting off. Mainly oscillators and a simple mixer and ring-mod. Tempted to order one or two off him actually. You could easily get a few different modules on a decent sized perfboard if you planned it out right though if you wanted to go that route. Might pick up that board and add a few passive filters, maybe the low pass one off the WSG too, and I'd be flying. Want something pretty droney to go with the rest of my gear so a few oscillators and filters should do the trick for me

Anyone here built their own synth before? I know a few of us have built the dronelab but has anyone every built one from scratch?

I've been building on my modular synth for almost three years now...
It's a great hobby - but very consuming of time...

Ray Wilson's "Music from Outer Space" is a great Synth DIY resource to start with.

If you've not built much before, a WSG would make a good first project, although it's a noisemaker, not a synth.
The Soundlab mini-synth is a nice starting point for an actual synth.
And he sells PC boards for building a modular. MFOS is just one of many plaes to start - but it was a good start for me...

The Electro-Music forum has a very active DIY forum - lots of sources and ideas... and extremely helpful for troubleshooting or bouncing ideas around.

Lunetta's are really fun and simple - but you need to be able to appreciate raw squarish waves - and they are unpredictable. :) Which I kind of like.

bruce

Edit to clarify - Although I've been building on it for a while, I actually had a useable instrument after a couple months....
I just tend to obsess and it's continued to grow... sdiy.org/rfeng for some pics and info, if you are interested.

I've been building on my modular synth for almost three years now...
It's a great hobby - but very consuming of time...

jeebis!

SynthS.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back