Synecdoche, New York (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
Saw it at the weekend. Couldn't pronounce it for starters, and when I tried to ask for a ticket, my words, as they say, came out on crutches. Not a good start!

Its the latest from the Eternal Sunshine fella and I had really high hopes. But, this is incredibly bleak stuff. There was some fine acting and several "yep, I know that feeling" moments. But God, a glimmer of hope would have been nice! And watching a movie should really not be like doing the Times' Complex Crossword :)

Maybe I should give it a second shot. Its getting 5-stars all over the place. Can anybody convince me?

i thought it was grand, will have to see it again cos there was so much going on. kinda felt like david lynch lite though. if you want a proper headfuck of a film go watch inland empire.

Shite of the highest order. Charlie's trying to be too precious. Grand, some good ideas and hilarious in parts, but it takes more than that to make a decent movie. Maybe it's better second time around; not going to bother to check.

And that's the litmus test.

I thought it was deadly stuff altogether. Flawed, messy, jarring changes of pace, confusing, self-indulgent. But deadly.
Ultimately I think Kaufman's better off with a director to rein him in a bit, but I'm still glad he made this film, taking a concept and absolutely throttling it to the end. It's a fascintating deconstruction of the creative process I think, and I was thinking about it for days afterwards. I found it a quite overwhelming experience, and for that I'm willing to overlook its many flaws.

Ugh. I just wrote practically an essay on why I love this film (seen it twice now) but I lost it looking for this clip. Gah! Oh well, I would have bored you all.

I think it's brilliant and this is how you pronounce it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thought it was a load of dog pants meself. I like Kauffman but this was too long, miserable, trite, yuck. Some of the philosophical speeches towards the end were cringeworthy like the moralistic shite bits at the end of a Scrubs episode.

Defo needed a Gondry or Spike Jonze to keep things grounded but insane at the same time

This is going to sound odd but I found it uplifting. It's kind of like listening to a Smiths album. People claim it's depressing but I never once found it to be. I think this is one movie people will either love or hate. I don't think there is much room for middle ground. I didn't really care for BJM (maybe I should see it again) or Adaptation but I loved Eternal Sunshine despite Jim Carey. Perhaps his movies are the type you need to see at the right time to fully appreciate?

I loved this. Saw it at the festival and again last week.

Every word of it rang true for me.
We're all dying, and no one really mentions it, or even truly comprehends it.
Life is decay, it's a sinking ship with too many holes to plug and too much water to bail.
We're given a series of early elations before everything good or precious we have withers and putrifies in a series of disillisionments and disappointments.
The guy nailed it.

I'm seeing it again this weekend.

I loved this. Saw it at the festival and again last week.

Every word of it rang true for me.
We're all dying, and no one really mentions it, or even truly comprehends it.
Life is decay, it's a sinking ship with too many holes to plug and too much water to bail.
We're given a series of early elations before everything good or precious we have withers and putrifies in a series of disillisionments and disappointments.
The guy nailed it.

I'm seeing it again this weekend.
so basically, life is ultimately pointless and painful and the only worthwhile way of dealing with that is to make movies about it?

I think those who laugh (I did a lot) are the ones who love it. Many people left the theatre.... one woman in the bathroom after said, "Well that was desperate! And right in the middle of a recession!" I'm still laughing at that comment.

Life is a bitch and then you die, isn't exactly news. And it definitely doesn't need to be rammed down people's throats. It's not as if it was meant to be inspirational; the script basically says out straight that it's pointless even trying.

Bah...depressing shite. If you like Kaufman, then watch it. If you like Hoffman, then watch it. If you want to see Emily Watson's new and (naturally) improved chest, then watch it. Just don't expect a masterpiece (except in Ms Watson's case).

Still, obviously one man's meat is another man's mickey so, read some reviews, pseudo-intellectual though a lot of them seem to be, and give it a shot if you've two hours to waste. Note, I said, to waste.

I'm enjoying this thread more than the movie, so I suppose it gave me something!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back