Swimming lessons (1 Viewer)

billygannon

Contributor
Hi
Any suggestions for swimming lessons in the South Dublin/North Wicklow/East Kildare region? It's for the daughter, who's 7.

Lily goes to Meadowbrook in Ballinteer, and it's fantastic, she's doing brilliantly in the water.

Too far away for you though, I would have thought.

When I was in that school we used to go to swimming lessons in the pool in Tallaght, but there must be somewhere closer to you now by now.

The only place i really know is the national aquatic centre. They are brilliant and have tonnes of classes on the weekend so it shouldn't be hard getting a time that suits.
I know it's northside , but it's less than 5 mins from the m50

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

take away the music and that's one terrified baby

COntext
I have been swimming twice a week (at least) for over a year

Entered into a 2-mile swim race this past weekend
The main goal was to finish, as it was the farthest I'd ever swam

But I came DFL and it wasn't even close
And I'm trying. I'm working. Trying not to let it get to me, but I don't even know what's fucking wrong.

Anyways.

is it your breathing technique? that'd strike me as the most obvious thing that someone already fit could lose out on.
(i know little about swimming)

I am not sure what it is, I need a coach to figure it out
I shouldn't be twice as slow as most other people.

I am used to getting improvements with consistency - like with running and biking
Not a whiff here

You probably swim in the sea around icebergs or something though. I've been swimming regularly (ish) in the pool and I haven't been seeing any improvement, I might even be getting worse, definitely very slow. I see the other people speeding effortlessly past me in the next lane and I've no idea how to get there. I rang up about coaching a couple of weeks ago but they never got back to me and I forgot about it. Part of it is fitness, maybe reluctance to really exert myself too much but the good swimmers make it look so effortless

Have you tried pedal clips?

That's next. Kinda.

Gonna go to the pool with pull buoy and paddles and see if that works.

I thought it was my body type, but there were 18+ stone women (no shade) at this thing at the weekend and they fucking glided by me. So the remnants of my gut and my mother's hips cannot be blamed.
All on my effort and technique.

COntext
I have been swimming twice a week (at least) for over a year

Entered into a 2-mile swim race this past weekend
The main goal was to finish, as it was the farthest I'd ever swam

But I came DFL and it wasn't even close
And I'm trying. I'm working. Trying not to let it get to me, but I don't even know what's fucking wrong.

Anyways.
its the taking part that counts.

look on the bright side - you can swim 2 miles.
that's by your own admission the longest you've done to date. and to the majority of humans that's pretty good going

sorry for playing for the draw here ;-)

its the taking part that counts.

look on the bright side - you can swim 2 miles.
that's by your own admission the longest you've done to date.

sorry for playing for the draw here ;-)

Nah, that's exactly it.
I hit my marks.

Everyone was more than cool about it.
They all stood on the beach to cheer me home. And "last in the barn" gets a prize, so I was called up and I got an award. Very inclusive, every supportive, very sincere.
Swimmers are cool.

I have a body that works and I can do something I couldn't do four years ago (swim) - so who can really fucking complain.
I just want to figure out why I am so epically bad at it.
It's a goddamn mystery.

I think staying the same level and not getting actively worse is a win here. None of us are getting any younger so maintaining isn’t the worst outcome, even if the level is lower than you’d like.

I think staying the same level and not getting actively worse is a win here. None of us are getting any younger so maintaining isn’t the worst outcome, even if the level is lower than you’d like.

Appreciate that

I'm slower than everyone that does this though.
Like there's something wrong.

I would kill to be just average for my age. It's the only area of my life where consistency isn't paying off.

Anyways, onwards.

Appreciate that

I'm slower than everyone that does this though.
Like there's something wrong.

I would kill to be just average for my age. It's the only area of my life where consistency isn't paying off.

Anyways, onwards.
I’ve read that almost 50% of people are below average. Huge if true.

Nah, that's exactly it.
I hit my marks.

Everyone was more than cool about it.
They all stood on the beach to cheer me home. And "last in the barn" gets a prize, so I was called up and I got an award. Very inclusive, every supportive, very sincere.
Swimmers are cool.

I have a body that works and I can do something I couldn't do four years ago (swim) - so who can really fucking complain.
I just want to figure out why I am so epically bad at it.
It's a goddamn mystery.
I think swimming isn't like other sports in the rate at which you get better.

On the bike, or running, you can modulate your effort, and you can gradually start from walking, to walking with runs, to slow runs, to slightly faster runs. When you get out of breath, you can just pant a bit and it's fine. The rate at which you get better is maybe not linear, but it's a smooth slope

Swimming is a struggle up to some point, up to when you get your breathing in the correct state, and at that point you suddenly get quite a lot better. You go from being able to swim to over *there*, hopefully, to being able to plough along and think about other things. You sit into a rhythm. Sometimes I've noticed that even when I climb out and I'm resting afterwards on the rock, my breathing is still in this deep tidal slow thing. I am out of the water, there's no need to breath like that, but my brain hasn't copped yet.

So that might be related.

I think swimming isn't like other sports in the rate at which you get better.

On the bike, or running, you can modulate your effort, and you can gradually start from walking, to walking with runs, to slow runs, to slightly faster runs. When you get out of breath, you can just pant a bit and it's fine. The rate at which you get better is maybe not linear, but it's a smooth slope

Swimming is a struggle up to some point, up to when you get your breathing in the correct state, and at that point you suddenly get quite a lot better. You go from being able to swim to over *there*, hopefully, to being able to plough along and think about other things. You sit into a rhythm. Sometimes I've noticed that even when I climb out and I'm resting afterwards on the rock, my breathing is still in this deep tidal slow thing. I am out of the water, there's no need to breath like that, but my brain hasn't copped yet.

So that might be related.
Not the breathing
I broke that barrier a good while back - felt great

I am fine with being able to swim a mile out to an island and it takes me what it takes me timewise. Who cares?
But in triathlons and Otillos, they have time cut-offs and I don't want to get pulled out of the race
That's a concern

Like there's below average and you-don't-belong-here-doing-this thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back