Suspended coffee (1 Viewer)

Hooray?

• Yay

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Nay

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
To be honest, being a watery suburbanite, it can be intimidating, annoying, and wearying to run the gauntlet of beggars specifically around the Dame St., Grafton St. George's St. area. Most of them are civil enough craters but some are aggressive. It's hard to say what, if any solution, there is for it. Better drug treatment, rehabilitation, etc. would be one thing but there are always going to be individuals who find begging to be the best use of their time. Worse vibe around Abbey St. So much stuff happens down there that I've stopped using Dublin Bus to get home.

1) No shop owner wants homeless people aware of this program coming in and out of the store all day looking for these free coffees and then sitting there to enjoy them. It will scare away the paying customers.
2) Who is the person serving the coffee or food to decide who is eligible for a free coffee? Is it only homeless people? Do they have to be visibly homeless (dirty, smelly, old clothes)?? What if it's just somebody having a bad day or down on their luck... there are a million different scenarios here!!
3) What if nobody buys a "suspended" coffee one day? Will the homeless people believe the shop owner??
4) Next point then is... Should we trust the shop owners?? What if they take money for suspended coffees, but don't give them all out?? They keep the profit?

1) Make them take-away only
2) Anyone who asks for one get's one if there is one available. Easy.
3) Then no-one get's one when they ask for it. Probably, yes. No reason why they wouldn't.
4) Yes. But if you don't trust them, just don't use their coffee shop.

And finally .. Quora is a load of me bollix. Here's the latest super-intelligent question that landed in my inbox that the great minds of silicon valley are occupying themselves with today ...

"
Which songs would God have on his playlist?
"

Shit like this is about white people feeling good/less guilty about themselves than actually doing anything for anyone else.
A cup of coffee changes nothing. If you want to help, volunteer. Or give money regularly to a charity you have investigated and care about.

This suspended coffee malarkey is a bunch of internet kumbaya bollocks.

Now can someone please answer my question in the Facebook thread below this one?

Just delete people you don't want to interact with

like you did to me

My friend's father just died and the Mom was all made up that I made the funeral. So she added me on Facebook.
I can't defriend her at a time like this, but at the same time I don't want her to know what I am actually like.
I need a list with her on it that I can custom exclude from posts. Will probably stick my ex boss on there too.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444017504577647502309260064.html

wall st. journal said:
It's time to change how society thinks about charity and social reform. The donating public is obsessed with restrictions—nonprofits shouldn't pay executives too much, or spend a lot on overhead or take risks with donated dollars. It should be asking whether these organizations have what they need to actually solve problems. The conventional wisdom is that low costs serve the higher good. But this view is killing the ability of nonprofits to make progress against our most pressing problems. Long-term solutions require investment in things that don't show results in the short term.

Some interesting points in that article. What about the charities that refuse to say what executives are getting? They should be able to defend their salaries on the grounds of the work they do but if they're not willing to do that why the fuck should anyone give them a penny. And I bet if you looked the salaries of Irish charity CEOs that they wouldn't compare favourably with similar sized charities elsewhere in the world.

My friend's father just died and the Mom was all made up that I made the funeral. So she added me on Facebook.
I can't defriend her at a time like this, but at the same time I don't want her to know what I am actually like.
I need a list with her on it that I can custom exclude from posts. Will probably stick my ex boss on there too.

easy peasy. when you are about to write a status beside the post button there is a tab that gives you the option to post to friends, the public or to customise it so you won't appear in certain people's news feeds. you can have that as your default setting so they'll never see your posts. i have half my office on there.

i saw that suspended coffees post doing the rounds on facebook and thought it was bollocks. i assumed it was probably an invention by the same kind of teary-eyed sap who started circulating the post about a dear little boy giving bread to stray dogs, or the shit about the guy who discovered penicillin and didn't patent it, or lincoln saving all the poor blacks from slavery, i.e. half-baked populist feel-good bullshit.

insert stock picture of pitiable, harmless old tramp cradling a coffee, hit 'post', watch the likes roll in

I always felt 'meh' was misused

To me it means a thing is neither good nor bad or at worst" It's disappointing but I don't really care"

But I remember it was introduced because people didn't feel right clicking 'like' on posts such as"My father died today" . They wanted to show they liked the person, but not the post and 'meh' was seen as the solution

madness

we all partied so let's not play the blame game, but this was crazy thinking

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back