stopping boozing (2 Viewers)

After Paddy's day I've been trying to cut down on my boozin'. I've been going out the same amount, but drinking bottles rather than pints and just drinking them more slowly, I'd maybe have one, for every three my mates would have. I don't feel I ever need booze to enjoy myself, but on Paddy's Night I drank to get drunk (was in bad form) and the alcohol just made my mood worse and I acted the eejit.

You do have to want to give up/cut down though, there's no way you lose all will power after just one drink. So you have to want to change your er, "prickish" behaviour, more than you want to drink to the level where you become a prick (to use your own words).

yeah its not that it turns me into a dick its just that it makes it a lot easier to be one to people, especially when i am in bad twist. makes me silly when police come anywhere near me also and unfortunately those cunts are everywhere.

I gave up for 5 months before and after my son was born (Nov08-mar09) but am back to once/twice a week boozing now.

Non-alcoholic beers got me through that time. Cobra is best, then becks or holsten. Erdinger = er . . .minger.

In pubs alcohol-free beer costs the same as the real thing.

In my experience, it's not smoking rather than not drinking which makes you feel like an outcast, unless you enoy minding coats.

There are two parts,
1) the reason.
If your skint enough, you can choose not to drink and the choice is pretty easy.
Or if you are training say, then again the choice is easy if you are a bit shit to start off with.
Or if you are driving a motorbike all the time and you know that more than likely you;ll die if you;re not completely sober.
The harder one is realising that drinking is damaging some part of your life and you want shot of it, or you want to see what your life is like sober for a while.

Just the curiosity is enough for me.
I;ve stopped drinking for all these reasons. There's plenty more probably.

Step 2) stopping. And this is extremely easy, after about 3 weeks. Suddenly it stops being all you think about, and you don;t give a shit. But that month long period running into the really easy period is a pain in the hole, and its very easy to slip back.

Its overnight though with me. All you want is to have a nice beer for weeks, and you are wondering what the fuck is the point in this, everyone else is locked etc and then suddenly drinking is not on the agenda. The need goes away.

The worst, absolutely shittest part of not drinking with me is not kissing girls. I would first of all be a scared sap, and then secondly back that up with "jaysus though, she;s buckled, I couldn't possibly take advantage of her in that state, its basically rape."

That is not a thought process that happens when you are locked.

Its a cunt of a thing no mistake.I have very little experience of not drinking but am currently not doing it mon-thurs and then I've cut right back on the weekend.8 cans max a night and get to bed by 2ish.
Maybe you could try something like this for a start.I feel great lately(which is important)and I enjoy my mornings now.
If I had any kind of social life outside of Thumped it would probs be affected,but I really don't so its all good.

Now I don't wanna freak you out but if you're turning into a gargle aggro magnet when yer hammered that could be a sign of impaired liver function(the poor fucker is'nt doing his job right)and should may be taken as a gentle nudge in the moderation direction.If you step off the gas for a spell that bad boy will be good as new in no time and you'll be whistling dixie.

Some good advice here lads. I've pretty much cut down boozing Mon-Thurs and rarely drink on a Sunday too. Only problem is that sometimes i go at it solid for the 2 nights, I wouldn't be the heaviest drinker in the world but i'd still drink a good bit. And smoke like a trooper when drinking too. It all makes for a tiring weekend with no proper sleep and feeling pretty ropey both mornings then Mondays are pretty depressing too.

This weekend however i only had a few on Friday and didn't drink on the Sat. Had 4 last night and feel grand. I reckon i'm definately going to try the method of cutting down big time. Sounds better than going cold turkey though.

I think this is the longest post i've ever made and it was boring as fuck. Sorry guys.

gave up for a month this year, sounds lame but that was the longest i'd ever been off it, very hard at the weekends, being in pubs was okay for an hour or two until people starting getting merry, then had to bail. I also find it hard to have one or two pints without going on the piss.

I had given up drink for a few weeks here and there but the longest time I was off drink totally was 9 months pregnancy induced sobreity. It was boring as hell to be out with people when they are hammered, I also seemed to be a magnet for the drunkest person in the room to come and tell me all their problems.
On the upside It was a total revelation to have hangover free weekends. I defianatly dont drink as much as I used too.

I think everyone (alco's excepted) gets to the point where you just don't wanna be wrecked tired all the time.Its great being a bit fresh in mornings.
But I'd never want to quit completely,that'd suck.Just not the 2 bottles of wine a night routine.Gnome sane.It is possible.

i have been seriously considering this for a while. has anyone else done this? (after being a very naughty person for a good few years) was it difficult?
Gave it up in 2000 and have been completely off it since then.
Giving it up initially isn't so hard. Staying off it in the initial months and on into the long run and maintaining your resolve over the years can be trickier. I wouldn't recommend complete abstinence. A balanced approach, if you can manage it, would be much better.

I don't know your life but if you literally can't stop drinking after taking a single pint then you have some sort of problem and maybe AA or some other organised help might be necessary. I'm not taking the piss. I've wondered about it for myself before. Is there an atheist version of the AA?
AA is fundamentally a religious institution. Their system basically involves abstaining from booze (sin) by submitting to a higher power (God) through prayer (prayer obviously). They also maintain it's the only way to give up booze, diagnose alcoholics themselves (which can mean anyone basically according to their definitions). And as Penn & Teller so rightly pointed out, it doesn't work.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back