State of the scene (1 Viewer)

Ciaran Mackle said:
Janer, I'm not having a dig at you but like if you really are that pissed off with these mixed gig bills why dont you start putting gigs on yourself. Seriously theres probably an audience for totally punk/hardcore shows
I would rather be in a band but lack of memory fails me :eek:
And I wouldn't have a notion how to run gigs, I am more of a paying/drinking customer :)

Cormac, you asked so many questions. Gary is right, the past is the past and there does seem to be too many gigs. I rarely go to gigs now as other commitments are going on in my life. I would go if it was all-ages ( I could bring my kids along) and would be more tempted to go if punk gigs weren't just a replica of rock gigs.

Niall without being blunt u mention ur kids everytime, surely having kids is not the end of ur social life.....
and Punk gigs I go to are in no way replicas of rock gigs
I would de-rep you but cos u are bluenamed and a subscriber you would know its me ;/

JANER said:
Niall without being blunt u mention ur kids everytime, surely having kids is not the end of ur social life.....
and Punk gigs I go to are in no way replicas of rock gigs
I would de-rep you but cos u are bluenamed and a subscriber you would know its me ;/
no it's not the end of my social life but i have become a bit more choosy - i would like to bring my kids to gigs, i would like them to be part of the punk rock community. As for replica of rock gigs I mean that we pay in, get a mark on our hand and listen to bands play music for the night. For me punk rock is not just music

Ok fair enough, Leechrum is on soon anyhow and there is alot more there then music etc.
Also Wasted in August in Blackpool!!
<3

Dylan said:
, if people were more into OPEN house shows then i think it could be a possible solution. Like house gigs where the address is given out. People seem to respect the houses from what ive seen in america and i think given the right ideas and information about diy etc. there no reason why people wouldn't do the same here. Perhaps if the house shows were Non-alcohol then there would be little to no chance of people acting the maggot.

hmm i dunno what house shows you went to but evey single on of em i did turned out to be fuckin mayhem, cops turning up, people being threatened with eviction. Also these were all basement shows which is perfect for gigs because it means ur living space is less likely to get fucked up, however cause we dont have them here its more likely people will run amok around others houses.

Anyway personally i think the diy underground is doin well (yes see i refer to it as the diy underground not necessarily punk/hardcore) i think there is alot of diversity out there and more new bands coming up that are of huge interest to me. i do think a music based zine abut the scene would be excellant and id love to do one but alas with work and such i have very little time as is

People think that ireland isnt a hugely vibrant scene but i would disagree i think for a country our size we get alot more touring bands than cities of similar size in the states.

Anyway hopefully this thread throws up some interestin ideas

niallmc said:
Gary is right, the past is the past and there does seem to be too many gigs.
says the man who wouldn't think twice about having the same band play 3 different dublin venues in a weekend heheheheheh

niallmc said:
no it's not the end of my social life but i have become a bit more choosy - i would like to bring my kids to gigs, i would like them to be part of the punk rock community. As for replica of rock gigs I mean that we pay in, get a mark on our hand and listen to bands play music for the night. For me punk rock is not just music

did your kids enjoy the evens niall? I thought about bringing holly, but in the end I decided not to, cos I knew it was going to be packed and I thought she might get freaked out. I brought her to see ten past seven in tower and she thought it was too loud so we split...

I dunno if this is the time to bring it up or if I'm distracting from the topic but it does relate to all ages gigs so...
When Seomra Spraoi are looking for a space I always keep in mind that I'd love somewhere gigs could be put on. It would be a lot of work and need a certain kind of space but it would be do-able.
It would really help with rent, it would be amazing to have our own place to put on gigs, no expensive pints, all ages...
However, there have never been many punks involved and there are so many other important things that have taken priority. I'd be afraid to push it coz there are so many risks that go with it, people trashing the place, people drinking outside, all the many risks and hassles that just seem to go with the teritory of punk.
I guess I'd just be interested to see what people think, is there any point looking for a place we can make some noise?

I think if it did happen there would have to be a very strict set of rules in regards to alcohol and behaviour. I know that goes somewhat aginst some people understanding of punk,but fuck them.

u:m said:
did your kids enjoy the evens niall? I thought about bringing holly, but in the end I decided not to, cos I knew it was going to be packed and I thought she might get freaked out. I brought her to see ten past seven in tower and she thought it was too loud so we split...
yeah they loved it. i suppose it wasn't too loud - they've been to some other stuff and have different feelings on it but it'd be good if they COULD go to some more stuff

damien said:
i hate meeting up to discuss things in detail! i think the promoters around the country are pretty tight with each other.

Apart from us.. But em...

And that compilation CD has to get out there!! I'll help out or even do it myself (in the summer) if no one will bother. I'm limiting myself to things right now cos exams etc but will up up for a lot iof thing in the summer

On the subject of Irish bands touring outside Ireland...and getting the Irish scene more known outside Ireland...
It may be good for Irish bands to create contacts themselves with other foreign bands/distros/labels...
I see already that Kid Blunt, Slomatics, De Nov stuff is available in the Superfi records distro....and Easpa Measa tapes available via some Eastern European tape labels (impregnate noise lab in CZ)...and i know there a few other bands available in foreign distros...
Just emailing, chatting, exchanging words...creating links i guess..networking!
The cdr is a great way for people to get to hear bands of course.

mazzyianne said:
I dunno if this is the time to bring it up or if I'm distracting from the topic but it does relate to all ages gigs so...
When Seomra Spraoi are looking for a space I always keep in mind that I'd love somewhere gigs could be put on. It would be a lot of work and need a certain kind of space but it would be do-able.
It would really help with rent, it would be amazing to have our own place to put on gigs, no expensive pints, all ages...
However, there have never been many punks involved and there are so many other important things that have taken priority. I'd be afraid to push it coz there are so many risks that go with it, people trashing the place, people drinking outside, all the many risks and hassles that just seem to go with the teritory of punk.
I guess I'd just be interested to see what people think, is there any point looking for a place we can make some noise?

i know it's not the same thing (given that it's not a shop and all), but i went to a gig at the long haul infoshop in berkeley, where there's the infoshop area up the front, and a biggish 2-storey height room at the back where the bands played.

there were way, way more people there than could fit inside and it spilled out onto the street, but from what i remember most of the other buildings right beside it were shops, and they also seem to only have gigs on the same nights every week.

the set-up kinda surprised me, but it helped a bit that the people taking money were in the infoshop area, maybe? that way it was being watched a bit.

also, if it wasn't residential or terraced, there's probably a hell of a lot that could be done with soundproofing etc to reduce the noise.

sorry if i'm stating the obvious, bit short on sleep.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying actually...sorry:eek:

If it's that it will be noisy, yeah, it would need to be a good location, these dont come up too often, but it is possible.
we might have an info shop if anyone is interested in running one (there has been some interet expressed). What seomra spraoi becomes is up for discussion at all times.

I have a feeling that if there aren't enough punks involved in running it it would be seen as a service or whatever, as belonging to someone else and not respected. It's shit but there's some weird and unecessary hostility between different groups, activists, anarchos, punks, whatever, whoever. seomra spraoi is trying to cross some of these boundaries I suppose. It gets called anarchist but it isn't and most people involved aren't.
I'd just like to have the punk and diy aspect involved as much as possible but as I said I'd be wary of gigs for reasons already stated.
But if there's enough interest and people would use it properly I'd love to make it one of our criteria to look for.

insurance. licences. booze. cops. noise. etc.

would fucking love to do it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back