specials (1 Viewer)

Great stuff.

Went to see Neville Staple over St. Paddys weekend in The Academy and it was a mighty gig.

Hopefully they'll (The Specials) make it over here soon

I never thought I'd see the day.I hope I get to see them.

I'd love to see them, big influence on me as a young lad. Meeting Jerry the first time was a life defining moment.

I'd love to see them, big influence on me as a young lad. Meeting Jerry the first time was a life defining moment.

Yeah me too at a gig about 7 or 8 years ago he found it necessary after the packed gig to find me in the crowd to tell me I couldnt dance.

One of my many disapointments meeting my ska heros, I could write a short book about em. or at least a freebooters song

Yeah me too at a gig about 7 or 8 years ago he found it necessary after the packed gig to find me in the crowd to tell me I couldnt dance.

One of my many disapointments meeting my ska heros, I could write a short book about em. or at least a freebooters song

If it's any consolation I gave him his first (and no doubt last) alcoholic drink in twenty odd years. :)

there gonna be playing dublin castle on the may bank holiday as part of the green energy festival yolk that goes on there from what ive heard

Horace Panters sister works for the girlfriends aul fella in Birr. She was on about them reforming before christmas. There is defo irish date(s) according to her.
mr Panters book on his time with the specials {cant remember the name} is a great read,a very grounded bloke in a business that is anything but grounded,specials are up there with the pistols ,beatles in the groundbreaker dept , oh yes ill be there ,wherever "there" is!

WHAT'S THIS ALL ABOUT?????

Founding Specials member Jerry Dammers has hit out at his bandmates' reunion next year.

Dammers, who is not touring as part of the band's 30th anniversary shows, has issued a statement today (December 10) in which he claims he has been "driven out" by the rest of the group.

The keyboard player also took issue with frontman Terry Hall, who recently told NME.COM that "the door remains open" to his bandmate.

"Jerry has a duty to inform anybody who may be interested of the true situation, which is that he was not invited to take part in this proposed tour, or even told about it," the statement explains.

"He also has to say that claims that 'the door is still open' to him fail to mention that Jerry has been driven out every time he has attempted to get involved over the last year. He also wonders why this appears in the newspaper when former bandmates have his phone number?"

Dammers said: "The prodigal sons came home, kicked me out, and have left the door open, great."

He adds that he has lawyers' letters from the others stating that they will go ahead with The Specials without him and "Jerry is not to speak to any of them".

Dammers' statement goes on to say: "Attempts to imply that any proposed tour has Jerry's 'blessing', at this stage, are also highly misleading. These seem to be part of a wider attempt to rewrite the whole history of the band, in order to try and justify what is currently going on.

"Jerry does not wish to go into too much detail at this point, except to say that for over 25 years he had dreamed that his former bandmates might come back one day, and was deeply shocked to find that when they did, for some of them, it was apparently to kick him out."

The statement also claims that: "A meeting was called to which Jerry was not invited. Jerry turned up anyway and played the music he had started recording, and suggested starting serious rehearsals, but was subjected to a severe dressing down from people who had barely spoken to him in 25 years.

"Apart from the recording, Jerry wanted to try and aim for a proper reunion and 30th anniversary celebration, including [performing] the best part of both Specials albums, 'The Ghost Town' EP and a small amount of new material, in proper concerts, in venues worthy of the band's status and legacy."

The statement concludes: "Jerry sees this whole thing as a takeover, rather than a proper reunion... At the moment this is not the proud reunion and 30th anniversary celebration Jerry had hoped for."

The rest of the band have objected to Dammers claims, issuing a statement in which they said \"\"We don't agree with what Jerry has said, but we don't want to talk about it, not least because it is in the hands of our lawyers\".

The Specials - without Dammers - are due to play a series of gigs next April and May with tickets for those shows going on sale tomorrow (December 11) at 9am (BST).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back