Space is the Place (2 Viewers)

Just watched the Indian craft achieve a soft landing on the moon. Unexpectedly moving experience.

The Russian mission failed a few days ago. As a mate said in anticipation of today: "We've tried the cowboys, now let's try the Indians". Yeah.

I am rather fond of this tune:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Dr Nicholl added: "We have named this new class of sources 'Luminous Fast Coolers', or LFCs. This is partly to do with how bright they are and how fast they fade and cool.

"But it's also partly because myself and some of the other researchers are huge fans of Liverpool Football Club. It's a nice coincidence that our LFCs seem to prefer red galaxies."

I know I've probably said this before, but isn't it absolutely mad we can see the moon? Just sitting up there. It looked class this morning.

and that it's just a random coincidence that its apparent size in the sky is pretty much dead on the same as the sun.
It's moving away from us very gradually at a rate of about 4cm per year, so if there is some intelligent society still on earth in about 600 million years they won't get full solar eclipses any more, just a very bright ring with a dark centre.

also, life on earth would have possibly taken hundreds of millions of years more to evolve were it not for the moon. it created tidal zones, where life had more opportunity to figure out this 'living out of the water' lark.

Moon chat, I've been looking at this site for the last while. Makes me feel all swarthy learning about it and actually seeing it:

Slightly different where I live, it goes from on land (about 2m above sea level) to about 4m. Dublin on the other hand:

It's quite pronounced here, and spring tides are mad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back