Songs that leave you blubbering like a child. (1 Viewer)

Brian Conniffe said:
oh yes, the version of "god only knows" is heartbreaking
i remember i was trying to describe that album to coraline at the sabbath. i was boozed, and my only point of reference was "bawling my eyes out". true story.

wish you were here - pink floyd

ashokan farewell - jay ungar (I've left instructions that this is to be played as they carry my coffin from the church towards the big hole in the ground)

cold, cold heart - hank williams

Shine said:
Ah jaysus - i'm sorry but i have to join in - it has to be "fire and rain" by james taylor... i remember being so in love with the actor river phoenix that it made me ache and watching him in the movie "running on empty" where he grew up with parents who were on the run from the fbi and he had to keep changing his identity and dying his hair and shit and then he decides he wants his own life but it means never seeing his family again and they have this real happy/sad family moment where they're all in the kitchen singing along to fire and rain and for fucks sake it's so sad anyway because james taylor wrote it when his wife died- jesus christ right - it was his birthday and he was away on tour so his manager flew his wife out as a suprise to see him - and the fucking plane crashed - and she fucking died...
Can you imagine the fucking downer?

I've seen fire and I've seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought I'd see you again

Jaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyysssuuussss
Fuck me... wowch... aaaaaaagh....
No - it's to much. ANd then River went and fucking died... my heart... oh god... oh god my heart... that song
Oh god.... i'm on the verge of fucking bawling now...
But maybe that's because the start of my weekend is being spent sitting in and trawling though your randomness. hi btw. (irony? are these smilies for real?)
I can put your mind at ease ...slightly. Apparently its about his friends suicide, not his wife's death - cos he wasn't married to Carly Simon til after that was written and I don't think he was married before that. But he was addicted to heroin for absolutely ages and he was put in a mental home when he was younger cos he was suicidal. You'd never think it though! His Simpsons appearance is fucking brilliant too.

coast to coast said:
I can put your mind at ease ...slightly. Apparently its about his friends suicide, not his wife's death - cos he wasn't married to Carly Simon til after that was written and I don't think he was married before that. But he was addicted to heroin for absolutely ages and he was put in a mental home when he was younger cos he was suicidal. You'd never think it though!
Really? Wow. Who would lie to me like that? I've told loads of peole that story... I am uber-gullible... as are they i suppose...
A friend's suicide is still bad though... and it's still a really heartbreaking song... i wonder does laser have running on empty... or maybe i shouldn't ruin the teenage illusion of the movie that's in my brain!

coast to coast said:
His Simpsons appearance is fucking brilliant too.
That's the episode where Homer goes into space, releases the ants and Inanimate Carbon Rod ends up saving the day... class...

sober Barney was good too...

and this bit...
Bart: Wow, my father an astronaut. I feel so full of...what's the
opposite of shame?
Marge: Pride?
Bart: No, not _that_ far from shame.
Homer: [quavering] Less shame?
Bart: [happy] Yeah...

Jim A. Morrish said:
wish you were here - pink floyd
oh dear - i really really shouldn't tell this story but... someone had a free ticket so i went to see rodruigo y gabriella in the olympia a few months back... they played wish you were here - the whole crowd sang along ("do do do do"s and everything) and i got very emotional! There was an actual tear or two wiped away...

Hurt by Johnny Cash
Tripoli by Pinback
Wish You were here by Pink Floyd
Nightswimming by R.E.M
4th song on the Amelie soundtrack-gorgeous piano, gets me everytime.

most of mine are due to friends funerals songs. the amelie one doesnt need such encouragement. Sad,sad songs

Shine said:
Really? Wow. Who would lie to me like that? I've told loads of peole that story... I am uber-gullible... as are they i suppose...
A friend's suicide is still bad though... and it's still a really heartbreaking song... i wonder does laser have running on empty... or maybe i shouldn't ruin the teenage illusion of the movie that's in my brain!

That's the episode where Homer goes into space, releases the ants and Inanimate Carbon Rod ends up saving the day... class...

sober Barney was good too...

and this bit...
Bart: Wow, my father an astronaut. I feel so full of...what's the
opposite of shame?
Marge: Pride?
Bart: No, not _that_ far from shame.
Homer: [quavering] Less shame?
Bart: [happy] Yeah...
i'd heard it was about suicide before, and its actually mentioned on the commentary of that Simpson's episode on DVD but I was looking at some website that had info about the song and it also mentioned the plane crash story in as much as it was a popular (but incorrent) urban myth.

http://www.james-taylor.com/albums/firerain.shtml

clonan attack said:
Nightswimming by R.E.M
4th song on the Amelie soundtrack-gorgeous piano, gets me everytime.

most of mine are due to friends funerals songs.

I was going to go on a rant about how there are many much sadder R.E.M. songs than Nightswimming (which I think is a happy song), but I guess if it was played at a funeral that could set you off.

Camera by R.E.M. is pretty damn sad. As is Country Feedback.

clonan attack said:
the amelie one doesnt need such encouragement. Sad,sad songs

Assuming you have not already, you should listen to the soundtrack to Goodbye Lenin. Some very sad piano stuff on that.

the first day of my life by bright eyes makes me cry but cos it makes me happy cos it reminds me of some really good times..same with 'in my life' by the beatles and 'somethings gotten hold of my heart' by gene pitney and marc almond..

im a total girl in the respect that love songs make me cry..

oh and such great heights by the postal service has been known to set me off on more than one occassion..

Eoddy Gorilla said:
Everclear - Queen of the Air
Pearl Jam - Man of the Hour
Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Mysteries
Jimmy Eat World - Drugs or Me
Elliott Smith - Needle in the Hay
Luke Kelly - Scorn Not His Simplicity
Ben Folds - The Luckiest
Screeching Weasel - Hey Suburbia

like spiritualtramp said about REM, I think there's far sadder Elliott songs, but i guess its circumstance.
The biggest lie from Elliott Smiths self titled album, is the saddest most gorgeous last song of an album ive ever heard. Leaves me on a beautiful downer.

Nightswimming wasn't actually played at any funeral ive been to but i kinda quite morbidly have it pegged for my own.
Im quite a happy bloke really, just this thread is about Sad so...

queen - too much love will kill you. actually hearing freddie mercury's luminous voice always brings a wee tear to my eye.
eh what else.....
i cry when i hear things like the corrs and westlife but that's out of bleeding ear pain rather than being moved by the song.
oh and stumbeline by the pumpkins always made me feel a little depresed

This thread is shapely up quite nicely. So many of the songs that have been mentioned get me choked up- Famous Blue Raincoat, Beth Gibbons - Mysteries, Bright Eyes - First day of my Life (although I loath to admit it, cos I think Bright Eyes is a twerp), Spiritualized, all the Johnny Cash ones (First Time Ever I Saw Your Face too; breaks my heart and I prefer his to any other version) and more.

I can't believe I haven't mentioned Bring It On Home by Sam Cooke:

If you ever change your mind
About leavin', leavin' me behind
Oh, oh, bring it to me
Bring your sweet lovin'
Bring it on home to me, oh yeah

You know I laughed (ha ha) when you left
But now I know I've only hurt myself
Oh, oh, bring it to me
Bring your sweet lovin'
Bring it on home to me, yeah (yeah) yeah (yeah) yeah (yeah)

I'll give you jewellery, money too
And that's not all, all I'll do for you
Oh, oh, bring it to me
Bring your sweet lovin'
Yeah

You know I'll always be your slave
Till I'm dead and buried in my grave
Oh, oh, bring it to me
Bring your sweet lovin'

Oh, oh, bring it to me
Bring your sweet lovin'
Yeah (yeah) yeah (yeah)

Zeelander,

i meant bright eyes the song, not the twerp! as in art garfunkel, who also happens to be a twerp but that song is too darn sad.

Zeelander said:
This thread is shapely up quite nicely. So many of the songs that have been mentioned get me choked up- Famous Blue Raincoat, Beth Gibbons - Mysteries, Bright Eyes - First day of my Life (although I loath to admit it, cos I think Bright Eyes is a twerp), Spiritualized, all the Johnny Cash ones (First Time Ever I Saw Your Face too; breaks my heart and I prefer his to any other version) and more.

I can't believe I haven't mentioned Bring It On Home by Sam Cooke:

Oh, oh, bring it to me
Bring your sweet lovin'
Bring it on home to me, oh yeah

You know I laughed (ha ha) when you left
But now I know I've only hurt myself
Oh, oh, bring it to me
Bring your sweet lovin'

I'll give you jewellery, money too
And that's not all, all I'll do for you
Oh, oh, bring it to me
Bring your sweet lovin'
Yeah

You know I'll always be your slave
Till I'm dead and buried in my grave
Oh, oh, bring it to me
Bring your sweet lovin'

Oh, oh, bring it to me
Bring your sweet lovin'
Yeah (yeah) yeah (yeah)

Amazing song. Leaves me skippin, not blubbering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back