POLVO + Jogging + Not Squares OCT 29 (this Friday) (1 Viewer)

Foggy

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]

Harmonic Series 2010 presents the debut Irish performance of Chapel Hill indie-rock legends...

POLVO (Merge / Touch & Go)

The Workman’s Club
Friday October 29th, 7.30pm
w/ special guests Jogging & Not Squares

Tickets on sale now €18 (including booking fee) from www.tickets.ie, City Discs & Ticketmaster outlets nationwide
0818 719 300 - Republic of Ireland customers // 0844 277 4455 - Northern Ireland customers // 00353 1 456 9569 - International customers

“As a band that bridged late-80s SST-schooled indie-rock and more abstract, angular 90s math-rock, Polvo's legacy feels very much frozen in time-- they're not a band whose influence is especially apparent among contemporary indie-rock acts; their popularity never extended beyond the campus-radio crowd; and there's no juicy back-story to propagate their myth. They were simply a very good band that made some very good records, and then just plain stopped... Polvo reached their critical peak with an epic double-album statement, 1996's Exploded Drawing, which saw them successfully unraveling their bee-swarm guitar buzz to explore the polarities of their sound, from psychedelic-folk lullabies to brutalizing post-hardcore... In Prism ultimately sets a new standard for them: don't just make it sound like you never left, but rather make the past seem like a mere warm-up for what's to come.” - Pitchfork

“Rock has no shortage of overlooked guitar geniuses, but few are as awesome yet as ignored as Ash Bowie and Dave Brylawski of Polvo. The band’s 1992 debut, Cor-Crane Secret, set a standard for post-Sonic Youth art-rock that few bands (outside of Polvo itself) could top. While Polvo’s songs were never as bombastic or anthemic as Sonic Youth’s, the band managed to squeeze out four incredible albums of twisty, discordant beauty before folding toward the end of the ’90s.. In Prism is the first record by the recently reunited group, and it’s as if the last 12 years never happened. Sporting geometrically interlocked riffs and solos that feel simultaneously epic and oblique, the disc harnesses post-punk cool as well as classic-rock heroism. - The Onion / A.V. Club

Both alarming and charming, Polvo’s eclectic sound and style is absolutely unmistakable. It could be said that Polvo was the guitar band of the nineties, and that sentiment still holds true today. The band truly existed on its own island, somewhere between the Eastern Indian Peninsula and the Aleutians…which left a lot of space to roam around. What’s more, Polvo was not only unique but prolific, putting out one or two releases a year during the band’s initial lifespan.

Polvo didn’t just spark after a night of drinking too many PBRs at some rowdy house party. Dave Brylawski (vocalist/guitarist) and Steve Popson (bassist) have been friends since they were nine years old. In 1986, Brylawski met Ash Bowie (vocalist/guitarist) and Eddie Watkins (drummer) while attending the University of North Carolina. With Popson a mere 20 minutes down the road at NC State, jam sessions were frequent and developmentally pointed. In late 1989, with reasonable goals in mind – to perform at local rock venue the Cat’s Cradle and to put out a seven-inch record – Polvo took the first small steps to making themselves one of the quintessential indie rock bands of the era. After 1996's Exploded Drawing, Eddie Watkins decided to leave the band for other pursuits. Brian Walsby (Shiny Beast, Willard, Double Negative) was recruited to play drums on Polvo's next album, Shapes (1997) and to play on the subsequent North American Tour. Eight years, four full lengths, three EPs, and yes, several seven inches later, the quartet agreeably disbanded in 1998.

Over the next ten years, the members remained close while attending to their own personal interests in separate careers and musical outlets (Popson and Brylawski are also currently members of Black Taj). Periodically, they discussed reuniting to perform, but it wasn’t until 2008, when Polvo was asked to perform at the Explosions In The Sky-curated All Tomorrow’s Parties Festival, that the band decided the time was right to play again and reformed with drummer Brian Quast, formerly of Cherry Valence. The band isn’t planning too far ahead, however – they’re taking things one huge festival at a time. Along the way, though, they’ll likely pick up where they left off in ’98: revisiting old jams, enjoying lifelong musical connections, and rocking the bajeesus out of anyone who’s lucky enough to see them play.

Furthermore, Polvo will take you to the blacktop AND take you to the hole. They are one of an elite few bands that not only play together as a band, but also as a ball team. Yeah, they got game. They got skills. You’ll be moving in slow motion .

www.myspace.com/polvotheband

Jogging awakened in 2009. So far they have played some gigs with Parts & Labor, Ponytail, Adebisi Shank, BATS, Obits, Themselves, The Redneck Manifesto and Extra Life. Their first split release with Not Squares came out September 2009 through Richter Collective. Thier debut album Minutes was released through the Richter Collective on 30th April 2010. You can hear a full free stream of the album here - http://jogging.bandcamp.com

“If first impressions were all that went in to album reviews, this debut would have so many gold stars on it you'd think it was space. No ironic eyebrows raised, Minutes is a genuinely watertight rock record of impressive quality.” - Totally Dublin 4/5

“Their raucous debut fires out of the traps and maintains a breakneck pace relentlessly until the end...challenging style and melody, and coming out well on top. There may be other instruments in here somewhere, but Minutes is all about screaming vocals and loud, frantic guitars with clever, intricate, fiddly parts aplenty, over a robust racket of thundering drums. Excellent." - The Sunday Business Post 4/5

"Jogging are loud. Delightfully so. From the opening salvo of the first track it becomes clear that Minutes is an unforgiving album which unapologetically moves from one surging, breathless track to the next before ending just like it began – fast, loud and hard. It’s difficult to deny Jogging’s excellence at crafting songs of the highest intensity. Dark and foreboding, yet simultaneously catchy and memorable – a notoriously difficult balance to achieve.” - State.ie

www.myspace.com/joggingband

Not Squares from Belfast are set to release their debut album on the Richter Collective (Jogging, The Redneck Manifesto, Adebisi Shank) in November. Borne of intensive improvisation Not Squares have evolved through an organic and democratic process of producing music that makes dance an ideology. Over the last year Not Squares have carved themselves a name as an exciting live act, bringing the party to every place they play. It's not just about dancing; it’s about dancing with people. In summer 2009 they released their debut single, the double A side 7” Aye Yo Pa/IUUSIT. The album was recorded at Start Together Studios in Belfast in June and is, quite simply, one of the most exciting, energised and vital new Irish albums in years.

“In all, an inspiring set that displays creativity and ability rarely found on these shores, and even at this early stage shows promise of a truly exciting record.” AU Magazine

“Not Squares are currently getting local music critics’ collective undercrackers in a bunch and from a quick listen to thrash-dance anthem ‘Vita Sackville-West’ it’s easy to see why this Julie Ruin-worshipping mob are making all the right moves.” NME

www.notsquares.com [/FONT]

trying to take in this and another gig that night, any idea of stage times yet?

you will regret it Scutter

venue is right next door to Clarence entrance on Quays. Really nice venue and bar

I don't know Polvo all that well but I have this feeling that if I don't go to this I'll regret it for the rest of my life.

where exactly is the workman's club? Is it close to the Clarence?

i'm getting old. was planning on trying to catch greg dulli in whelans tonight, then leg it down for some polvo. alas my decrepit mind failed to notice that dulli played whelans on wednesday. dagnamit. still, now i get some delicious jogging action too.

Really enjoyed polvo and also No Squares and the Joggers.

But the highlight of the night was the graffiti in the toilet - allahquando!

Osama van halen lives!

Saw Polvo play Release the Bats in London on Saturday, I thought they were very poor indeed. Kept waiting for jism of some sort to erupt from the heads of their guitar.

delighted i went to this, great gig. missed not squares but jogging we're top as usual, and polvo are now one of those bands i'm kicking myself for not checking out years ago. still, it's nice that i can now play catchup. bough a few albums online this morning and the newer one that i picked up at the gig is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back