Soldering thread (1 Viewer)

Presume you've seen this page?

http://www.sewatt.com/

Can we turn this into the diy pedals and stuff thread or should we start a new one?

yep, ive done a fair bit of research on it at this stage.
thing is, i really like the valve jr as it is(its a version 3, so its a superior amp to the earlier versions). any mods would be with a view to improving something i like already, so if i fucked it up id be doubly pissed off.

I reckon i'll cut my teeth on a few project kits (voice of saturn stuff, or some of those byoc pedals), before I start tinkering with something that works well with a view to improving it.

and yes, a thread of stuff like this would be cool..

Built a the ggg big muff clone today. Went perfect bar me soldering the output jack backwards. Gonna make a start on a rat clone now.

had a jam on the moosemuff a few evenings ago. thought it had a nicer extremities in the sound then my american one.

my soldering tip is aimed at the more amatuer end of the soldering heirarchy. i recommend having lots of little bits of insultation tape/electrical tape at hand, to hold the wires nicely on the spot and in the direction they'll be living in, made it easier for me to concentrate on getting a nice finish and sturdier setup.

I reckon i'll cut my teeth on a few project kits (voice of saturn stuff, or some of those byoc pedals), before I start tinkering with something that works well with a view to improving it.

motherfuckery!

went at a MXR/dod/ross clone last night, spent a good 3 hours at it, and got it working grand first time off. Thought the degree of drive was a little weedy, so I started chucking in random(well not so random) diodes into the clipping section; 1st mod-grand, bit more cruch
2nd mod-louder, not that much more crunch, sure we'll stick in another diode for the crack!
3rd mod- removed the drive altogether.

tonite, 4th mod will involve trying to figure what the fuck ive done wrong. as as side effect of last nights fucn and games Ive wrecked three germanium diodes and have big dirty blobs of solder knocking about on my PCB (which before modding was a model of nice joint-age).

as sure, great crack anyway, kit was only 40euro with shipping, and still works as a boost!

This is back in at €14.99 atm, got one myself this morning. They've also got a 30watt Artec Iron for €7.50.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=45545

Think I'll pick up the Artec as spare/portable iron too.

this lasted a whole month before dying on me, the artec seems to lasting a much better.

Anyway here's a cool electronics calculator that includes a resistor code calculator, should be pretty useful.

http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/download.php?source=ea_calc_ad#assistant

4319718261_308493a477.jpg

Guitar & Bass magazine have a kit called the fuzzmania
£35 designed by dan from lovetone and
dave petersen (Vox engineer..dude who modded brian may & radioheads AC30's)

awesome kit,sounds fucking huge!!

anyone got a rec for a nice flexible vise for holding pcbs? it's getting to be a pain sellotaping them to stuff.

was looking at this:

http://www.curiousinventor.com/store/product/11

View attachment 6110

Peats have a "helping hand" like this on sale at the moment.
Several arms with clips on the end for holding stuff, and a magnifier. Very cheap too if memory serves.

helping-hands-tool.jpg

I've had one the helping hands for a while but gonna upgrade to the vice yoke whenever I get a chance. Looks much more sensible for pcbs.

my brother "borrowed" one of these for me when the factory he worked at closed down

20100804_160030.5763.851.400.-1.85.jpg

t'is a beast so it is, just a shame it's not getting much use lately...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back