Soldering thread (1 Viewer)

Unclealo

Uncle Alo
Website
www.thirteenthlock.net
I fixed a pedal at the weekend for the first time having owned a soldering iron for years and never once used one before. Hi 5!

This got me thinking as to how much basic repair work I wind up passing on to other people. Would it be worth doing a sticky thread for getting advice on quick repairs for pedals/ amps/ geeeetars that can be done at home?

Most of it, to be honest. The internet is full of info on these things if you look. Most set ups can be done at home, intonation and neck adjustment aren't that big a thing, just be careful and take your time. Same with electrics, schmatics can be found on manufacturers websites. Most normal guitars only have about 12 points to solder so even if you get one wrong it ain't the end of the world, just try again.

Well done on the fix though, it's very satisfying.

Yep defo, guitars are pretty easy on the soldering side. Other stuff like pedals and amps is fairly straight up too. Just need a multimeter and some time. Good soldering is the key imo.

Yep defo, guitars are pretty easy on the soldering side. Other stuff like pedals and amps is fairly straight up too. Just need a multimeter and some time. Good soldering is the key imo.

yeah, and its tricky to do. been fixing leads for years and did the occasionaly basic guitar/amp fix with soldering, but a got one of the BOYC pedasl a few ywars back. soldered all the stuff to the PCB and thought i had it sorted. wouldn't work. gave it to aoboa to look at and he informed me that i had a ton of dry joins.

would LOVE to be a good solderer.

There's a few good practice routines that you can do. I'll search them out later. Generally just keep practicing and you'll get better. That's what I did anyway.

I really need a new iron atm, thinking of getting a nice solder station for myself.

the first soldering iron i had was a hunk of shit that barely heated up. a good soldering iron will stand to ya.

Indeed, I'm using a weller 25watt at the moment but could do with something bigger, that one you linked to looks decent. Had a 15watt student yoke for a while that really was a piece of shit.

yeah, and its tricky to do. been fixing leads for years and did the occasionaly basic guitar/amp fix with soldering, but a got one of the BOYC pedasl a few ywars back. soldered all the stuff to the PCB and thought i had it sorted. wouldn't work. gave it to aoboa to look at and he informed me that i had a ton of dry joins.

Built a the ggg big muff clone today. Went perfect bar me soldering the output jack backwards. Gonna make a start on a rat clone now.

a nice pastime of mine. generally cables, crackly pots on amps and guitars and pedals.
just get some nice thin solder, a decent iron and a multimeter. sorted
and yes, less is more!

I fixed a pedal at the weekend for the first time having owned a soldering iron for years and never once used one before. Hi 5!

This got me thinking as to how much basic repair work I wind up passing on to other people. Would it be worth doing a sticky thread for getting advice on quick repairs for pedals/ amps/ geeeetars that can be done at home?

ha, its a nice old feeling. ive fixed loads of stuff over the years, but only recently became more interested in the project end of things, as I was playing arround with the idea of modding my valve jr. Due to the likely hood of me ballsing that up at this stage, im going to leave it for a while and build up my skills using afew kits and the like.

this is the last sucessful thing i built. a WSG.
3372914026_7230327a1f.jpg

i was pure proud.

ha, its a nice old feeling. ive fixed loads of stuff over the years, but only recently became more interested in the project end of things, as I was playing arround with the idea of modding my valve jr. Due to the likely hood of me ballsing that up at this stage, im going to leave it for a while and build up my skills using afew kits and the like.

Presume you've seen this page?

http://www.sewatt.com/

Can we turn this into the diy pedals and stuff thread or should we start a new one?

Most important soldering tip?
Buy a good soldering station with adjustable temperature and a few basic tools e.g. tweezers, snips, needle nose pliers, solder wick and solder sucker.

You need the temp to be adjustable. Guitar pots take serious heat to solder. Circuit boards need way less. Using too much heat on a pcb can lift the tracks and otherwaise damage it. To much heat on a wire and you burn or shrink the insulation.

Having the right kit makes it WAY easier to learn.

Resoldering wire to connectors is probably the most common problem people have. To do it properly you need to remove as much of the old solder from both parts as possible using a solder sucker or wick. Then tin both parts i.e. heat first and then apply a little new solder. Then you can resolder the connection.
Tinning is the step most people leave out but it's the most important to get a good solder joint for wire connections.

would LOVE to be a good solderer.

and the rest :eek:
Did you ever finish it?

Another quick tip:

Get to know when you need to replace your soldering iron tip. They really don't last all that long.
Basically if you're having trouble getting solder to flow onto any part of the tip then it's time for a new one. Once the tip starts to oxidise you're not gonna be able to make decent joints cos the heat transfer starts to get really crap.

You need to tin the tip after use i.e. cover it in a bit of solder and let it cool naturally. Worth picking up a tin of tip tinner for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back