Solar PV (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter egg_
  • Start date
  • Replies 266
  • Views 8K
  • Watchers 1
Surely you could use the solar directly during the day, battery in the evening and top up the battery with cheap night-rate electricity.
That's our plan anyway
I don't think we get to decide that. Like, I see sometimes we're producing enough to cover what we're using, but it routes it into the batter and we're still importing. I also see that sometimes we're exporting but also that it's drawing from the battery. There is some kind of weird algorithm that decides on what gets used and when, and its not always very intuitive.

I don't think we get to decide that. Like, I see sometimes we're producing enough to cover what we're using, but it routes it into the batter and we're still importing. I also see that sometimes we're exporting but also that it's drawing from the battery. There is some kind of weird algorithm that decides on what gets used and when, and its not always very intuitive.

Strange you don’t have control over that.
Thought it was pretty standard at this stage that you can just set up some timers / bit of trial and error etc. maybe if you turned off exporting if that were an option

Originally I thought it would be good in the case where there's a power cut, but as we all know, if the power goes out, thats that.
And just in case we don't all know: what? why? If the battery is full up of power why would the system need any eternal anything to work? This is ruining my dreams of having a disco party while the neighbours sit in the dark.

And just in case we don't all know: what? why? If the battery is full up of power why would the system need any eternal anything to work? This is ruining my dreams of having a disco party while the neighbours sit in the dark.
it shouldn't, but it does. No idea what. Thats what the electrician who installed my system told me

I thought you could get an isolation switch installed for that very purpose, so you don’t accidentally electrocute any ESB Networks persons working to fix the outage.

it shouldn't, but it does. No idea what. Thats what the electrician who installed my system told me
certainly used to be the case before batteries; meant you weren't trying to feed into a dead grid (or your own house) without adequate power to do so, and causing brown-outs.

I thought you could get an isolation switch installed for that very purpose, so you don’t accidentally electrocute any ESB Networks persons working to fix the outage.

They're supposed to be able to install dual fail-safe contactors that go open if there is no grid mains AC coming in and make sure your system stays disconnected until their supply comes back and closes the circuit again.
Thus allowing you to completely rely on your own back up power during a black out and be safe knowing that no one os getting fried from your back up power

yes, this is why my installation was delayed. They call it a 'fireman switch' and couldn't source one for ages for me.

but the information I was given was that, when the mains goes, thats it. Nothing from solar, nothing from anywhere.

I just spent two days deep cleaning the bathroom. It looks more or less the same.

Meanwhile I'm thinking i need to make a spreadsheet that blends the cost of solar / batteries / new heating system / electric car over maybe ten years and figure out should i do one massive jump or several small hops.

Next exciting installment is to paint a room.

I can’t decide on whether we should just get the €4K battery as part of the install, or hold off and buy one of those from Germany & get a man in to install it. I suppose you could do both? Install 5kw now and add another 5kw in future. I’d be looking to charge it up overnight at the cheapo 2am-4am rates.

I’ve also seen 10Kw batteries from China for €2,500 but I don’t know what the import charges would be on that, also it’s 100kg.

how did that go? i've been quoted €4000 for a 5KW battery
Got a phone callback and a quote of ™3,600 for 5.3kWh which could be installed within the next month. I asked for an email with the battery specs (and followed up since) and nothing... This is over a month ago. Also tried contacting the electrician that did our job directly, no reply.

You'd think getting it in as part of the install would be a bit cheaper. My ™3,600 (I googled how to do a euro sign on this keyboard and all the results swore this was the right way but all I'm getting is ™) is for a standalone job.

Got a phone callback and a quote of ™3,600 for 5.3kWh which could be installed within the next month. I asked for an email with the battery specs (and followed up since) and nothing... This is over a month ago. Also tried contacting the electrician that did our job directly, no reply.

You'd think getting it in as part of the install would be a bit cheaper. My ™3,600 (I googled how to do a euro sign on this keyboard and all the results swore this was the right way but all I'm getting is ™) is for a standalone job.
see now, that's also a factor in my decision - in theory it would be cheaper to just order one online from somewhere in the EU, try my best to ignore the €400 delivery charge, then get a man in to install & configure it... but what if a man can not be got? I believe they're easy enough to physically wire up DIY style, but it still seems a bit risky to me.

edit: when i say DIY i don't mean this level of craziness, I'm talking just wiring up an actual off the shelf solar battery.

seeing people saying a thing like this can be imported to ireland for €3,200 delivered just adds to my confusion

or this for €1,575 delivered from the Netherlands:

Last edited:
see now, that's also a factor in my decision - in theory it would be cheaper to just order one online from somewhere in the EU, try my best to ignore the €400 delivery charge, then get a man in to install & configure it... but what if a man can not be got? I believe they're easy enough to physically wire up DIY style, but it still seems a bit risky to me.
Yes, the impression I got when I was looking at things before (if I'm remembering correctly) was they seem to literally plug in, not even playing with wires but little clips, but you need an electrician's reg number to purchase them?

(and also I'm not the sort to clip in a battery without a grown-up present, no matter how simple)

edit: when i say DIY i don't mean this level of craziness, I'm talking just wiring up an actual off the shelf solar battery.

seeing people saying a thing like this can be imported to ireland for €3,200 delivered just adds to my confusion

Yeah I’m not fucking around with High Voltage cabling until I see it done first in front of me

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back