Solar energy (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter egg_
  • Start date
  • Replies 38
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 2
That is the big problem at the moment.
I stand corrected

But I can't really understand why it's such a big problem. Couldn't you just use the spare capacity to, say, wind up a big clockwork engine that spins a dynamo as it runs out? Or run a current through some water and store the hydrogen? Or some other simple way of storing energy? It doesn't even have to be all that efficient, provided we harvest enough solar energy in the first place

But I can't really understand why it's such a big problem.

With the best solar cells at the moment you can get up to 40% solar --> electricity conversion. With most large scale storage methods you lose up to 50% of this (actually more with the H2O/H2 cycle). In the end, the cost to power ratio is too high to compete. I think the only limitation is $$$.

I stand corrected.

I usually get confused when talking about ACDC.

I think about AC as electrons washing in and out along the wire like a really fast tide, alternating back and forwards. And DC as a river, always rushing directly forwards in the one direction.

The scene out of James Bond Goldfinger, where Oddjob gets electrocuted was DC. As soon as he touched the bar his body went into rigour as every muscle contracted causing him to involuntarily squeeze even tighter onto the source of his shock.
Same deal with the subway lines third track.

This seizeing is why DC is ferociously dangerous, and the instructions for anyone seeing someone being shocked is smack them with a piece of wood to try and unlock them from their grip.

This seizeing is why DC is ferociously dangerous, and the instructions for anyone seeing someone being shocked is smack them with a piece of wood to try and unlock them from their grip.

Harsh buzz when you are in the situation though, not only are you being electrocuted but some guy is smacking you with 2X4

Harsh buzz when you are in the situation though, not only are you being electrocuted but some guy is smacking you with 2X4

your man is almost certainly brown bread anyway if that makes you feel better.

He will start to smell though if you dont knock him clear, and might burst into flames.
Mmmm. Burnt rashers.

I think about AC as electrons washing in and out along the wire like a really fast tide, alternating back and forwards. And DC as a river, always rushing directly forwards in the one direction.

Ah, no. I mean, I know the difference. In me head. I just get confused when talking about it. And Tesla. But thanks for the explanation anyway. Hopefully, it'll be easier then next time around. :)

Electric fences pulse anyway, so you've a chance to let go I guess. Ronan O'Donoghue on my lane pissed on one as a little chap (by accident). Sore

I bought my first (solar powered) electric fence this weekend. Also I got pecked in the eye by a hen

the ma wants to get a new boiler and rads put in the gaff. but she's also mad for the renewable. are these solar thermal collectors viable? How much would they cost? I'm in no position to advise her. is it cool to just lash panels up on your roof?

Electric fences pulse anyway, so you've a chance to let go I guess. Ronan O'Donoghue on my lane pissed on one as a little chap (by accident). Sore

I bought my first (solar powered) electric fence this weekend. Also I got pecked in the eye by a hen

Oh, the irony! egg_ gets pecked in the eye by a hen.

Best (least shocking) way to test an electric fence is with a long blade of grass.

Does the fencer have a battery back-up?

best way to test an electric fence is to cradle your barse on it. if you violently shit yourself, that wire is live.

Acdc_Powerage.JPG

Are these solar thermal collectors viable? How much would they cost?
Yes, they're viable for heating your water in the summer. They won't heat your house, and they won't do much for you in the winter. Also they're pretty dear once you put in a whole system (you've got to have pumps and safety stuff to dump the heat in the summer so your hot tank doesn't boil), but I think SEI is still doing grants towards them. Just look in the yellow pages, find someone who does it, and ask for a quote, or contact the Construct Ireland guys

Why dont we just use the newly found tribes in the brazilian rainforest for fuel?
We do know exactly how many of them there are but it sure would be warm and cozy finding out!

My aunt's husband owns a plumbing company & has just done a 3 day course on installing solar panels.
He was told that they need to stop relying on oil & gas boiler installations as it won't be viable in the future.

I guess they would say that though....

the ma wants to get a new boiler and rads put in the gaff. but she's also mad for the renewable. are these solar thermal collectors viable? How much would they cost? I'm in no position to advise her. is it cool to just lash panels up on your roof?

tubular solar panels will heat water pretty effectively in winter and summer..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back