so what is the best MP3 player ? (2 Viewers)

P. Littbarski

i'm going to get me one of these in a couple of weeks...but don't want to get suckered into the whole iPod hype before looking at some alternatives.

so whats the deal ? is the iPod really that good ? somebody was telling me that creative have some decent mp3 players at the moment and the sony ones are not meant to be that bad (better battery apparently).

i'm sure this has come up before so apologies if it has...

I got my 40gb iPod about a year and a half ago and I can't say I have any complaints. It's small, light, non-obstrusively designed and fits nicely in your arse pocket. I know the whole battery life argument some people have with iPods. My battery is slowing starting die but I'd never have expected it to last forever, and with replacements ones that are far better than the ones pre-installed for about $30, I'm not irked. Also, you can now record at up to 96hz with iPod Linux installed. Pretty cool.

i have many many problems with my iPod. dont get one.

everyone i know who has an iPod has major problems with the battery.

i've had mine about a year... i charge it when i go to bed, listen to it on the way into to work... then when i turn it on after work the battery has mysteriously gone...

my mate sent his off to be repaired because the battery had gotten so bad... they sent it back saying there's nothing wrong with it, AND THEY DELETED ALL THE SONGS.

I also used to work for Apple, and confirm that they are a shower of bastards.

my mate sent his off to be repaired because the battery had gotten so bad... they sent it back saying there's nothing wrong with it, AND THEY DELETED ALL THE SONGS.

They should have informed him prior to (re)pair that they were gonna delete all the songs which is pretty harsh, but I do know that if you get anything done with your iPod and you send it back, they basically just give you a reconditioned one, hence no songs. Did have a bit of a shit attack over christmas when I foolishy corrupted the db on my iPod. Fixed it tho'. Still, they're dead sexy.

sleur said:
They should have informed him prior to (re)pair that they were gonna delete all the songs which is pretty harsh, but I do know that if you get anything done with your iPod and you send it back, they basically just give you a reconditioned one, hence no songs. Did have a bit of a shit attack over christmas when I foolishy corrupted the db on my iPod. Fixed it tho'. Still, they're dead sexy.
but it was the same one that they sent back! and said there was nothing wrong with it, that it was all in his head! bastards.

i got a 512mb packard bell yoke. Its crap, but it does the job- ie, plays music in my head. save ur money and buy a pile of shite, if your anything like me, youll only lose it/stand on it/jump into the sea with all your clothes on with it in your pocket. grr.

Alan Remorse said:
but it was the same one that they sent back! and said there was nothing wrong with it, that it was all in his head! bastards.

I think they tell you on the Apple website that you should back up everything on your iPod before you send it off for repair. Still, I can only imagine his face when he got his empty iPod back.

I've never had a single problem with mine. Although, Alan, charging it every night is probably not a good idea. What generation iPod is it?

Wilbert said:
I think they tell you on the Apple website that you should back up everything on your iPod before you send it off for repair. Still, I can only imagine his face when he got his empty iPod back.

I've never had a single problem with mine. Although, Alan, charging it every night is probably not a good idea. What generation iPod is it?
i dont know, all i know is i have it a year...

its a vicious cycle with the charging... its so fucked up that it wont work at all if i dont charge it every night, is probably fucked up due to constant charging...

though its pretty retarded that my iPod can turn gay just from being charged.

Alan Remorse said:
i dont know, all i know is i have it a year...

its a vicious cycle with the charging... its so fucked up that it wont work at all if i dont charge it every night, is probably fucked up due to constant charging...

though its pretty retarded that my iPod can turn gay just from being charged.
I agree.

Alan Remorse said:

I also used to work for Apple, and confirm that they are a shower of bastards.

If ya ever do accidentally delete the music on your iPod.. there is a bit of software which retrieves all the deleted files. It works cos the iPod uses standard delete functions, so doesn't actually wipe the files, just changes their tag to a deleted one.

I know what you mean about Apple though.. I have to deal with those same shower of bastards all the time. I'm starting to think they go out of their way to be fecking obtuse..

FancyGoods said:
you're going to hear a lot of people saying good things about Iriver mp3 players
i hope you're not being sarky, madam, or you'll get such a slap round the bitchtits.

totally, go-go iRiver, rah-rah-rah!

they are the best. and great batterylife.

best on batterylife is the Creative Zen Touch

24 hours of playtime. this is currently the best on the market, and is often referred to as "whopping".

mind you, word to the wise, a lot of the time with the creative labs mp3 players you have to use their proprietary software to copy the files across to the player. check before you buy.

lmd64 said:
mind you, word to the wise, a lot of the time with the creative labs mp3 players you have to use their proprietary software to copy the files across to the player. check before you buy.

does this mean you have to use their software to convert to mp3 as well (?)
or can you still convert to mp3 using whatever you want.

I've a 40gb iPod and like Remorse above it's a pain in the gee. I got it about a year and a half ago. I think it's a second gen one. It's got 4 buttons above the wheel. Anyway, I have to charge it every night and it mysteriously emits its power, seemingly with a mind of its own. I think I'm getting about 3 hours battery life on it which sucks but aside from that relatively major complaint I've found it to be the best. The associated iTunes software is a piece of piss compared to the others and it's so darn easy to use, organise, yadda, yadda, yadda and copy files from other iPod users and vice versa that I cannot recommend it highly enough. Most of the stuff I download is in Mp3 format so it makes sense to me. Which is alarming given my inadequacy with computers. My brother & his mates all have iRivers in the UK and although it looks a bit complicated he assures me that it pisses, shits and pukes all over the iPod - long battery life, easy to cog songs from one machine to another, massive memory etc... A friend has a Sony one and he hates it.

Sleur, where does one get these long-lasting #30 batteries that you speak of?

lmd64 said:

yeah, fucking creative software deleted almost all the id3 tags on 40 gigs of mp3s :(

get an iriver get an iriver get an iriver get an iriver get an iriver get an iriver get an iriver

Sleur, where does one get these long-lasting #30 batteries that you speak of?

Should be this site http://www.ipodbattery.com although websense won't allow me to view it in work.

i got a creative jukebox ages ago from amazon. it was when they were all still kinda bulky, the mp3 players. anyways, i turned it up to full volume and it didn't even hurt my ears. i promptly sent it back to amazon saying it was broekn and they gave me a full refund. do all mp3 players have volume limiting safety features like that?

P. Littbarski said:
does this mean you have to use their software to convert to mp3 as well (?)
or can you still convert to mp3 using whatever you want.

i refer you to...
cookiemonster said:
yeah, fucking creative software deleted almost all the id3 tags on 40 gigs of mp3s :(
get an iriver get an iriver get an iriver get an iriver get an iriver get an iriver get an iriver

i got one of the small 128mb creative labs once. horrible experience. the software is awful, they actually transfer the mp3 to the walkman changing a few bits in the file to make it only playable on their walkmen. you can copy the file back through explorer, but now, lo and behold, it's not an mp3 anymore! and it didn't support playing back mp3s that were copied through the filesystem. and it stopped working within a month*.

* The only good thing about it, as i was able to take it back to Dunnes to get my money back. The experience has scarred me, however, and I remain living in an mindset of immense waryness and sceptiscism when it comes to considering availing of the product range of Creative Labs. How long must this state of affairs continue? Yours, etc.

yeah, fucking creative software deleted almost all the id3 tags on 40 gigs of mp3s

Don't know if you mean this was on done on the the player instead, or what way those things organize albums on the HD (by folder?), but if they do organise things folder-by-folder, mp3tag is great for selecting an album of mp3 files and then it'll populate the id3 tags from cddb. I always use it after I download stuff from Soulseek, avoids the hassle of seeing duplicate names appearing on the iPod artists list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back