so lads, great afternoon of rugby ahead. (1 Viewer)

why the fuck were the all blacks not allowed do the haka, I heard recently that the new zealand goverment wanted to phase it out from state events because it makes young lads too violent:rolleyes:,p.c rubbish but appently it was the welsh that wouldnt let them preform it on the pitch(they did it in their dressing room!)
not that it helped the welsh cause anyway

edit: just found this http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/6184642.stm

Fuck that.
If I was Welsh I would be asking for my money back.
If I buy a ticket to an All Blacks game, I am fucking well seeing a Haka AND a rugby match.
I always had respect for the Welsh RFU, no matter how shit they were at least they try to play rugby.
What, are they scared of the nasty shouty men? They do the Haka before kick off. It's the way it is.

Pussies.

The Haka gives a huge advantage to the all blacks, it interrupts the mental and physical preparation of the opposition while extending the time the all blacks have to do the same.

Last time the all blacks played in cardiff the WRU got a bloke to sing land of my fathers after the haka to try and disrupt the rhythm for the players and the crowd. They were trying to do the same by making this change. The all blacks have responded with disdain anytime a team has done anything to answer the challenge the haka lays down; for example there was a huge media spin after o’driscoll tossed aside a blade of grass before the first test, shortly before he got injured. Many in the media alleged that he had performed the equivalent of calling the all blacks a bunch of pussies. The all blacks let this build up before quietly admitting that what he had done was actually not that much of a biggie in maori culture.

The all blacks have claimed any such attempt to answer the challenge is disrespectful to the maori tradition, and that the haka has been a part of protocol before games since the year dot. What they neglect to mention is that the Haka has evoloved from an non-aggressive event in the ameutur days (they used to face the crowd doing it) in to what you see now, where it offers a clear advanatge to New Zealand.

The decision not to perform the haka was political points scoring against the WRU, sending out a message to other unions not try and reform the pre match, lest they incur the wrath of their own fans, eager to see the haka.

The Haka gives a huge advantage to the all blacks, it interrupts the mental and physical preparation of the opposition while extending the time the all blacks have to do the same.

Last time the all blacks played in cardiff the WRU got a bloke to sing land of my fathers after the haka to try and disrupt the rhythm for the players and the crowd. They were trying to do the same by making this change. The all blacks have responded with disdain anytime a team has done anything to answer the challenge the haka lays down; for example there was a huge media spin after o’driscoll tossed aside a blade of grass before the first test, shortly before he got injured. Many in the media alleged that he had performed the equivalent of calling the all blacks a bunch of pussies. The all blacks let this build up before quietly admitting that what he had done was actually not that much of a biggie in maori culture.

The all blacks have claimed any such attempt to answer the challenge is disrespectful to the maori tradition, and that the haka has been a part of protocol before games since the year dot. What they neglect to mention is that the Haka has evoloved from an non-aggressive event in the ameutur days (they used to face the crowd doing it) in to what you see now, where it offers a clear advanatge to New Zealand.

The decision not to perform the haka was political points scoring against the WRU, sending out a message to other unions not try and reform the pre match, lest they incur the wrath of their own fans, eager to see the haka.

i think, to be fair, not lettin them do it when they want to pisses them off but the fact is, they do a haka when get beaten too. they're not winning cos of it, and if you're losing cos of it, its cos you're already shit.

i think, to be fair, not lettin them do it when they want to pisses them off but the fact is, they do a haka when get beaten too. they're not winning cos of it, and if you're losing cos of it, its cos you're already shit.

Your right, it does not make a shit team good, but it offers an advantage, and in the professional era that is all important. Margins for error are tiny and the consequences of losing are higher in financial terms as well as the pride element.

Your right, it does not make a shit team good, but it offers an advantage, and in the professional era that is all important. Margins for error are tiny and the consequences of losing are higher in financial terms as well as the pride element.

It is a pro Union era, but that doesnt mean you ignore tradition. The Haka has been going for more than 100 years. It's part of international rugby, and it's bollocks that some Welsh prick decides he is going to change that tradition. Just at it was bollocks when that English prick Johnson wouldnt stand for the Irish national anthen in Lansdowne a while back. Its about tradition and doing things respectfully.

International Rugby is about spectacle, its about the whole thing, not just a load of lads doing a days work.
Anyway, the margin between these teams wasn't exactly tiny. The Blacks could field at least three different teams that would beat Wales. Wales knew that, and decided to be arseholes.

It is a pro Union era, but that doesnt mean you ignore tradition. The Haka has been going for more than 100 years. It's part of international rugby, and it's bollocks that some Welsh prick decides he is going to change that tradition. Just at it was bollocks when that English prick Johnson wouldnt stand for the Irish national anthen in Lansdowne a while back. Its about tradition and doing things respectfully.

The placement of the haka after the anthems is the tradition, not the haka itself which has been changed as recently as last year. The argument that it didnt make any difference on saturday is immaterial. It does offer an advantage, and in a tight world cup final people wouldnt be so blase about it.

Of course we should still honour tradition in the amatuer era, but not just the tradition of one team. For the all blacks to become a great rugby nation, they had to beat all the other great rugby nations consistently over a long period of time, countries with their own traditions and legacies.

I think the actions of the WRU might have been misguided but they had a point, and what I take umbrage with is the half truths and spin from the new zealand camp, who were utimatley the ones who took the decision to perform the haka indoors. If they wanted to observe the traditions they could have just not performed the haka after the anthem, and then just done it as normal after the welsh anthem.

ya seem alot more in the know than me, but dont fiji,western samoa and other pacific Islands preform war-dances as well??

they do indeed. And anytime they play each other its a great spectacle because they are able to respond to the challenge of the other team. If that happened for every game the four teams played (fiji samoa, tonga and NZ) it would be great for the game and the fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back