smoking in pubs banned (1 Viewer)

snap-apple

Supporter
Since 2000
Smoking to be banned in pubs from January 2004
By Paul Anderson Last updated: 30-01-03, 12:19

Smoking is to be banned in the workplace - including pubs, restaurants and trains - from January 1st, 2004.

The Minister for Health and Children, Mr Martin, made the announcement at the publication of a new report on passive smoking that shows people exposed to "second-hand smoke" in the workplace are 25-30 per cent more likely to suffer from heart disease.

The report, compiled by an expert group on behalf of the Office of Tobacco Control and the Health and Safety Authority, calls for a ban on smoking in workplaces, which includes pubs and restaurants.

It states bluntly that environmental tobacco smoke is a serious carcinogenic. Other dangers include a risk of developing cancer, heart disease, respiratory tract infections, or giving birth to low-weight babies.

"This ban will mean a massive cultural change for people right around the country and the eleven months before its full introduction will give people the time needed to adjust and change", Mr Martin said.

The Minister said the experience of other countries shows partial bans do not work and today's report gave him no choice but to enforce an outright ban.

Although the report focuses on the effects of passive smoking the workplace, Mr Martin said the findings also applied to other environments. "Children are exposed to ETF [environmental tobacco smoke] when people smoke in places where children live, play or visit with adults," Mr Martin added.

Dr Shane Allwright, chairperson of the expert group, said there is a general consensus in the international community about the dangers of passive smoking. "In 2002 the international agency for cancer research declared ETS to be a known human carcinogen," she said.

The report also shows that good ventilation does little to reduce the risk of ETS.

The Minister concluded: "I believe that in every decade we are presented with one major choice - a choice where, if we call it right, we change the future for the better.

"This is one of those choices and I'm making the call the way it must be made, [by] eleven months from now taking tobacco out of the workplace".

well.
fuck me.

i heard someone talking about that today but presumed they were insane. i'm going to have to go outside into the cold to have a fag. shit. cos i'm not giving up.

a pint and a fag will soon be no more.
this will take some getting used to.

It is good news. People will be put off smoking. Especially in Freezing Ireland. It will make it easier to quit. And people won't be exposed to passive smoking. I heard its extra dangerous for people who play wind instruments (more intense breathing etc.). Thats how yer man Roy something of Record Breakers got lung cancer, or throat cancer. He didn't even smoke.

For singers too its good news, coz smoke weakens your vocal abilities over the years.

Re: :)

Originally posted by madouva
I think it's fucking brilliant news.

Aces.
you turncoat bastard.

not long ago we'd have a puff together, eh? at the bar.

not too long ago

Serves you smokists right. Pen Smoking is where it's at

Smoking is the skankiest Habbit ever.

I hate it, If you want to get cancer and smell like a turd that's fine but, I dont see why I should, so that you can.

Hurrah for the ban!!

Originally posted by the pope
a pint and a fag will soon be no more.
this will take some getting used to.

its going to be insanity

I'm sorry to all you non-smoking wussies,
but this, as far as I'm concerned, is the worst news ever

I wish I could be a liberal and happy clappy about it, but I'm gutted.

Originally posted by Pantone247
its going to be insanity

haw haw!

Originally posted by Pantone247
its going to be insanity

from Jan 2005 smokers will have to wear bells around their necks

UNCLEAN! UNCLEAN! :D

I heard its extra dangerous for people who play wind instruments (more intense breathing etc.).

er, as a wind instrument player (and former asthmatic), i can assure you that my breathing is perfectly normal. it can improve your lung capacity, but that doesn't mean you go around taking enormous deep breaths all the time when you're not actually playing the instrument.

re the pubs thing, yes, i like the idea of being able to go to a smokeless pub. that said, would it not be possible for pubs to opt-in or opt-out of smokelessness? you could have "smokeless" and "smoking" pubs (with appropriate ventilation and things like not allowing smoking at the bar). of course, it'd be a pain in the arse if your favourite boozer went one way and you preferred the other. and they might have to pay the smoky pub staff danger money.

Originally posted by minka
I heard its extra dangerous for people who play wind instruments (more intense breathing etc.).

Roy Castle (trumpet player) died of lung cancer and never smoked a cigarette in his life.
It was attributed to passive smoking

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back