smoking in pubs banned (1 Viewer)

..leaves me in a bit of a bind..I was smoking for ten years.and gave up three weeks ago..I have had acouple when I go to th epub tho. I CAN HANDLE IT O.K.?....now I don't have an excuse for the odd sneeky one....censorship i tells ya ...where will it end..those fat cats in brussells etc..:confused: :D

I think this is good news all around . I know a bar owner and I asked him if he thought this would affect business . He told me that it probobly would for the first couple of weeks . He said people would be constantly going in and out pubs to have a fag . Eventually it would become less and less . People would not be arsed after a while and would eventually give up .

This will also stop those people like myself when trying to give can longer use the excuse of the difficulty of trying not to smoke while in the pub .

It was inevitable that this legislation was going to be brought in . All it was going to take was one member of bar staff who never smoked in his life to get lung cancer . He put in a huge claim against the bar and the insurance for bars would escalate .

Originally posted by molateen
It was inevitable that this legislation was going to be brought in . All it was going to take was one member of bar staff who never smoked in his life to get lung cancer . He put in a huge claim against the bar and the insurance for bars would escalate .

I think you hit the nail on the head there

or the fag on the butt

I'm opening a speakeasy in my shed,
a case of aftershock and all the fags you can smoke!
who's with me!

Herv will probably play at it... wether we want him to or not
he'll play at bleedin' anything that fella

;)

ok

Alright Hector, I give in.

It IS the shittest news ever.

I'm back on them a few days (oh the guilt), but if I can't have a tab and a pint? Ahh fuck that.

No smoking it is so.

BALLYACKS

Originally posted by minka
I heard its extra dangerous for people who play wind instruments (more intense breathing etc.).

er, as a wind instrument player (and former asthmatic), i can assure you that my breathing is perfectly normal. it can improve your lung capacity, but that doesn't mean you go around taking enormous deep breaths all the time when you're not actually playing the instrument.

I think you misunderstood. I was saying that a non smoking wind instrumentalist inhaling smoke passively while playing their little hearts out is what led to Roy Castle's death from lung cancer. He was a non smoking trumpet player who played tonnes of smokey clubs in the 60's for cash as a young fellar.

I wasn't dissin your lung capacity. How you got this impression I'll never know.:confused:

Originally posted by molateen
I know a bar owner and I asked him if he thought this would affect business

Yer man bar owner must be delighted... I found I'm drinking twice as fast since I gave'em up.

It's just that your used to do *something* while sitting in the pub so you end up replacing every trag with a sip...

oh right so. i knew roy castle got lung cancer from playing in smoky clubs. i thought you were implying that his superpowered weird wind instrumentalist lungs made him generally more susceptible to passive smoking.

I know what you mean allicks. I'm drinking more, getting drunk on less beer, and - get this - I've started telling the truth!

I don't understand it. Like I'll be sitting there yacking away and all of a sudden I'll say something like - "oh so and so, yeah, he's yadda yadda" and then think with amazement "why did I say that?". I'm like that film Liar Liar. Ciggies musta been the plug for my cakehole. It's very disconcerting after 9-odd years of smoking and lying.

It is good news except that it may ruin a few nights out when all the locked smokers are having a laugh outside while the locked non-smokers are nicey and all warm and sexy like. There will be division. And it will bring upon the apocalypse...

do you think it'll be actively enforced?
or will it be like when dublinbus tried to make us all use the middle doors on the buses for getting off. that didn't last long

brainwave

here, think about it...lots of people hanging around outside a pub smokin fags...an excellent way to mask surreptitious spliff smokery non?

or maybe not

either way, i'm with you on that speakeasy shack thing pantaloon

Originally posted by dudley
do you think it'll be actively enforced?
or will it be like when dublinbus tried to make us all use the middle doors on the buses for getting off. that didn't last long

I can't actually see how they can enforce it... there are pubs down the country and the only thing stopping the roof falling in is the nictoine coating the walls and ceilings. How they are going to convine people who have sat in these boozers and smoked fags and drank booze everday of their life that its all over is totally beyond me.

I really can't see it happening, I imagine like Minka said we'll end up with some form of segregation of pubs into smoking and non smoking pubs.

Otherwise i can really see a dodgy 'illegal' speakeasy stylee smokers clubs opening up... knock three times, cough the secret wheezy cough.. make sure no one followed you and yer in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back