Slumdog Not-Quite-Millionaires (1 Viewer)

Either you unaware, don't care or you're a hypocrite. It's pretty much impossible to live in an industrialised society without fucking up the world or other people.
As consumer hypocrisies go this one is pretty mild. One film and the international clothes trade aren't remotely on the same scale.

20,000 Indian cotton farm workers die from exposure to agri-chemicals annually. Constant overuse of fertilisers renders land inarible without chemicals. A lot of indian families go under when they can't afford to buy fertilizers. There's about 1 suicide a week among Indian farmers. All so we can buy cheap cotton vests.

As skanky as it is, underpaying/exploiting a few kids doesn't actually kill or impoverish them or their communities.

I just came back from seeing this, and I can't believe the bullshit being spouted on this thread. The parents of the children are using the media to make a case for a quick buck of the success of the movie, and people are falling for the plot as easily as the movies. Danny Boyle and the film company have stated that the child actors concerned will be benefit from trust funds when they're older, but they don't want to divulge the details in order to protect them. Think about it. Just because the film has a been a big success, should the producers turn up with a big fat check for mum and dad to play with? These people are from extremely impoverished and dangerous areas, and if there was a sniff of big money around them those kids would be targeted for extortion, kidnap or worse. Even if they weren't, i seriously doubt their media savvy families would be keeping the money safe for them all the while. Do you?

It's sad that those kids are struggling in such a difficult climate, but it's certainly not Danny Boyle's fault. They were born there and there's millions like them. Their situations aren't Danny Boyle's fault either. All he's done is given them opportunites that they would normally never have had.

I just came back from seeing this, and I can't believe the bullshit being spouted on this thread. The parents of the children are using the media to make a case for a quick buck of the success of the movie, and people are falling for the plot as easily as the movies. Danny Boyle and the film company have stated that the child actors concerned will be benefit from trust funds when they're older, but they don't want to divulge the details in order to protect them. Think about it. Just because the film has a been a big success, should the producers turn up with a big fat check for mum and dad to play with? These people are from extremely impoverished and dangerous areas, and if there was a sniff of big money around them those kids would be targeted for extortion, kidnap or worse. Even if they weren't, i seriously doubt their media savvy families would be keeping the money safe for them all the while. Do you?

It's sad that those kids are struggling in such a difficult climate, but it's certainly not Danny Boyle's fault. They were born there and there's millions like them. Their situations aren't Danny Boyle's fault either. All he's done is given them opportunites that they would normally never have had.

Yeah it must be sooooo difficult to take a couple of families out of the shithole slum they live in and move them somewhere decent where they will fit in with any new-found money they have. Sure the film only made millions so the producers could never afford something like that. And getting someone to look after the money and make sure it's used in the kids best interests, that costs BILLIONS, you know?
They should totally be left to rot, fuckin golliwogs.

Yeah it must be sooooo difficult to take a couple of families out of the shithole slum they live in and move them somewhere decent where they will fit in with any new-found money they have. Sure the film only made millions so the producers could never afford something like that. And getting someone to look after the money and make sure it's used in the kids best interests, that costs BILLIONS, you know?

Well you seem to have it all figured out.

The kids should have had better agents who negotiated them points off of the gross.

At least when The Strange Guy is being 'controversial', he's actually funny, or insightful, or both. What's your excuse?

Ha, I love the fact all the shit arguments have been shown up to be total crap, so the only retorts remaining are "How come you're not funny like the Strange Guy?"

Why don't you reply to Wheels' post on the last page instead of posting your own petty retort? Go on.

popcorn-cinema-g.jpg

I already have. I may have done it in a manner designed to annoy people, but I still did it.
As my reply points out, for producers who are making tens of millions off a film, taking the two children who spent a year working on that film and their families and moving them out of a situation where they are sleeping with a bit of tin over their heads isn't something that would be particularly difficult, costly, or dangerous to arrange.
Providing money for them that can only be accessed a number of years in the future, however, is quite useless when you are sleeping with a bit of tin over your head.
Then again, I don't have millions of dollars lying in my bank account, so I can't really say from experience.

Ha, I love the fact all the shit arguments have been shown up to be total crap, so the only retorts remaining are "How come you're not funny like the Strange Guy?"

Who has shown my argument to be total crap?

Buying clothes from primark and the like causes real damage to India. We have the choices of stealing, buying 2nd hand and organic cotton, which actually helps India.
Unless you can show how paying to see this film causes more harm than not doing so your charge of consumer hypocrisy sounds shrill.

You can't compare shafting a few kids with participating in and empowering a sytem which detroys lives all over the world and ultimately reduces the planet's capacity to support life.... Or can you?

This is a pretty complex issue. Implying that people are racists because they disagree with you is pretty fucking idiotic.

Who has shown my argument to be total crap?

Buying clothes from primark and the like causes real damage to India. We have the choices of stealing, buying 2nd hand and organic cotton, which actually helps India.
Unless you can show how paying to see this film causes more harm than not doing so your charge of consumer hypocrisy sounds shrill.

You can't compare shafting a few kids with participating in and empowering a sytem which detroys lives all over the world and ultimately reduces the planet's capacity to support life.... Or can you?

What I am showing here is that people who are pious about this sort of thing are just full of crap. This is as good an issue as any to highlight it.
If you can't see through your own arguments to the realities behind them, then the only person you are fooling is yourself.
Living in the Western World causes real damage to everywhere. If you want to display the fact that there are different degrees of it, you still have to accept the fact that the mere act of living in Ireland automatically means you are part of it. If you want to get out of that, then the only way to do it is to move to a poorer country.
If you can't accept that fundamental principle, then you don't deserve to wear that uniform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back