Slumdog Not-Quite-Millionaires (1 Viewer)

I'm with 7 No Tomorrow.
Thespian kids love acting.
It's like a game to them.
Should a child, especially a coloured child, be paid to play a game they love?
ABSOLUTELY NOT, THAT SENDS THE WRONG MESSAGE.

cormcolash, why don't you marry india if you love it so much?

www.primark.co.uk

l_7f3ff8837690d362cbe32195b747ec70.jpg

It's tough all round

India-Whisker.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Daughter of designer Mariad. “I adore my mother’s designs. Our looks clashed when I was a teenager, but now we’re on the same plane.” Mariad describes her daughter’s style as “ration book chic”. “I guess she means 1940s on a budget.” Was fitted by couturier Peter O’Brien for an “absolutely exquisite” dress while performing in Lady Windermere’s Fan at The Gate. Topshop meets all of her wardrobe needs, and she scouts around the vintage markets in Paris for something special.[/FONT]

I think it's great.
People get worked up by sweatshops that pay a comparative pittance to their workers to make clothes that sell in the millions for £3 or less.
People think it's okay that child actors get paid a pittance for being in a film that sells tickets in the millions for £5 and more.
Sounds pretty sensible to me, nothing completely retarded about that as far as I can tell.

I think it's great.
People get worked up by sweatshops that pay a comparative pittance to their workers to make clothes that sell in the millions for £3 or less.
People think it's okay that child actors get paid a pittance for being in a film that sells tickets in the millions for £5 and more.
Sounds pretty sensible to me, nothing completely retarded about that as far as I can tell.

You're seriously arguing for points on the film for the kids?

'Slumdog Millionaire' director Danny Boyle (right), plans to pump "significant" profits back into the Mumbai slums where the film was set.
Boyle said investors would meet in London next week to discuss how much to put into a fund for children and how to distribute the cash.
Boyle and Christian Colson, one of the producers, revealed the plan yesterday after criticism of the film's alleged financial exploitation of its child stars.
But Boyle insisted that the fund was not being set up in response to the criticism.
"This is our chance to give something back to an extraordinary city which has helped us produce an extraordinary film," he said.
"We came up with it once we realised what a success the film was becoming after the Golden Globes."
Boyle and Colson denied claims the children were exploited.
Colson said Rubina Ali and Azharuddin Ismail were paid "three times the amount of an annual adult salary" for a month's work.

http://www.independent.ie/entertain...-get-a-piece-of-slumdog-millions-1620295.html

I wrote a long reply with all quotes and sarcasm and crap, then decided i couldn't be arsed getting into an argument. I've not seen this film, but i think the "idiot's version of a liar's tale" angle which seems to boil down to "that's how it (points etc) works with movies, so why should this be any different" (forgive me if i'm misstating your position 7 - no tomorrow) is rendered absolute horseshit by the fact that the kid's living under a fuckin tarp. Throw the family some of the profits for fucks sakes, as a person danny boyle should be decent enough to do this without media prodding.

ETA:

Colson said Rubina Ali and Azharuddin Ismail were paid "three times the amount of an annual adult salary" for a month's work.
A year's minimum wage (at 80 Rs a day) is e355, so actually he's full of shit. And anyone arguing that these kids should only be getting the indian minimum wage for a hollywood sponsored film is a woejaysus eejit.

I wrote a long reply with all quotes and sarcasm and crap, then decided i couldn't be arsed getting into an argument. I've not seen this film, but i think the "idiot's version of a liar's tale" angle which seems to boil down to "that's how it (points etc) works with movies, so why should this be any different" (forgive me if i'm misstating your position 7 - no tomorrow) is rendered absolute horseshit by the fact that the kid's living under a fuckin tarp. Throw the family some of the profits for fucks sakes, as a person danny boyle should be decent enough to do this without media prodding.

ETA:

A year's minimum wage (at 80 Rs a day) is e355, so actually he's full of shit. And anyone arguing that these kids should only be getting the indian minimum wage for a hollywood sponsored film is a woejaysus eejit.

I hope you're prepared for more nonsense arguments in the face of your inarguable common sense from the likes of No Tomorrow and co.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back