Slug on my plate - Gin Palace (1 Viewer)

kevin gallen

Website
www.qprdot.org
So went to the gin palace for lunch yesterday. im about half way through and a slug crawls from under my lettuce across my plate. Disgusted i push it away, call the waiter, say look a big fucking slug!...he takes it away and asks me if i would like tea or coffee. :confused:

having seen the slug, my girlfriend decides not to eat any more of her food. Next thing he comes back with the bill..he says he is not gonna charge for the slug plate but wants us to pay for the other meal.

Surely in a situation like this he should be apologising and offering free food (not that id eat it) or drink or whatever. Instead after a long arguement he tells us we are not welcome anymore..

kevin gallen said:
So went to the gin palace for lunch yesterday. im about half way through and a slug crawls from under my lettuce across my plate. Disgusted i push it away, call the waiter, say look a big fucking slug!...he takes it away and asks me if i would like tea or coffee. :confused:

having seen the slug, my girlfriend decides not to eat any more of her food. Next thing he comes back with the bill..he says he is not gonna charge for the slug plate but wants us to pay for the other meal.

Surely in a situation like this he should be apologising and offering free food (not that id eat it) or drink or whatever. Instead after a long arguement he tells us we are not welcome anymore..

Oh dear god, that's disgusting. :(

I would've definitely expected the bill to be waived. The fact that it wasn't suggests that it's something that happens regulary, yknow "Well, sir, if we gave people a free meal every single time there was a slug in their food we'd be out of business".

Took this from Legalmatch.com..

If I Find a Bug or Insect in My Food, Can I Sue the Restaurant?
If you suffer food poisoning or otherwise fall ill because of the insect in your food, then you may be able to sue the restaurant. However, you must show that your illness was caused by the insect in your food in order to recover damages for food poisoning. Illness or injury arising from the mere presence of an insect in one’s food is rare and extremely difficult to prove.
What if I Suffer Emotional Distress from Seeing an Insect in My Food?
You may not recover damages for emotional distress without any evidence of physical injury. Moreover, many lawyers are hesitant to take a case based solely on emotional distress because the amount of damage can be relatively small.

They should've been sound about it but they weren't. Best revenge you can muster now is probably just let as many people know about it as you can. If washing a leaf of lettuce is beyond them then god knows what else is goin on.

can you imagine how the slug felt!?

seriously tho, nothing like this has happened to me, but it seems to happen loads. fact of life that insects etc. are gonna get into your food sometimes, I suppose. no big deal. however, the restaurant's attitude was definitely way the fuck outta line. they probably killed the poor slug too. cuntz.

seems to be a particular cuntishness regarding customer service in the restaurant trade. a common manifestation being made to wait rediculous amounts of time during the course of a meal... say you order and you wait nearly half an hour for your unapologetically served meal. should be free innit?

roxy said:
Oh dear god, that's disgusting. :(

I would've definitely expected the bill to be waived.

I don't know about this. The other plate of food was perfectly fine and the person, presumably, went on to finish it. That meal should be paid for.

The slug plate one shouldn't be on the bill and a complimentary meal offered in it's place.

If both people saw the slug and decided to leave, then I say the entire bill should be waived.

* just read back on original post and saw that the other meal wasn't finished. In that case, the bill should be waived.

Wilbert said:
I don't know about this. The other plate of food was perfectly fine and the person, presumably, went on to finish it. That meal should be paid for.

The slug plate one shouldn't be on the bill and a complimentary meal offered in it's place.

If both people saw the slug and decided to leave, then I say the entire bill should be waived.

i agree.
while the restaurant shouldn't charge for a 'contaminated' plate, if the other person had nothing wrong with their meal, then surely they should cough up for it.

La La said:
i agree.
while the restaurant shouldn't charge for a 'contaminated' plate, if the other person had nothing wrong with their meal, then surely they should cough up for it.

Would you really continue eating after seeing a slug on the persons plate beside you? i means its as roxy said above if ya cant wash a piece of lettuce..... The thing that really gets me anyway is the failure of the guy to see how much of a problem this was. THERES SOMETHING ALIVE IN MY FOOD! He should have been doing everything possible to make up for it.
Also when i first pointed it out to him he was like "so are you finished eating this then?"

I think I would point out to them that the loss of revenue from two meals not charged for would be far less than the loss of business from word of mouth. If they aren't washing their lettuce properly, that can be indicative of some seriously poor hygiene practices across the kitchen, and then the poor service and the lack of accountability can make their situation worse.

I would be more likely to go to a restaurant that saw itself as responsible for their own mistakes than one that refuses to be held accountable and holds its customers to ransom with shitty service and scary lack of basic hygiene.

There shouldn't need to be a legal penalty -- the restaurant should be willing to own up to a major fuckup, and to acknowledge that people don't just go to restaurants to eat food, it's a social occasion. A slug in one person's food can ruin everyone's meal.

In other words, show them this thread.

kevin gallen said:
No, just walked out, tried talk sense to him for a bit but was no use so just left. Yep, its on abbey st.

Good man.

Incidentally, the 'training' for waiters in this case is to remove the offending item - don't let them do it, as it's their way of destrying the evidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back