Silver Jews, Whelan's, May 16 (3 Viewers)

yeah!

bonus points for anyone who can be even more specific about those two words on every SJ record to date...

i'm no s.j. nerd (only have dime map...) so i can't guess, but i do know that he's also responsible for some of john vanderslice's titles - exodus damage, for one. maybe pixel revolt too. do these keep the pattern?

"I think the real unit of a poem is phrases," said Berman, the singer, songwriter and guitarist whose first book of poetry, "Actual Air," was published in June. "Most specifically, a noun modified by an adjective that you've never seen it modified with before." Fans of Berman's will recognize one such phrase in the Silver Jews' album title American Water. That 1998 disc included such songs as "Blue Arrangements" and "Random Rules".

I'm pretty dense with grammer, but I think all SJ record titles adhere to the adjective/noun format

Natural - Bridge

Bright - Flight

a lot of the songs too, it's a pretty interesting device...

That's pretty cool alright....

I like Bright Flight. That one was a real grower. Must give the new one a listen tonight though.

Start with American Water, Bright Flight or Natural Bridge

for me they're the Big 3, in that order too

Starlite Walker is a pretty good lo-fi trash folk/country album, and Tanglewood Number is an okay country hard rock record, but them middle three are just bizzarely brilliant

right, that's it, you're barred!

I like the first couple of records & Actual Air but Tanglewood and the new one are weak.
Pretty good live show in Lahndan last year mind you but if a newcomer is wondering what they sound like then I reckon the shambolic country-rock of Pavement is not a million miles from Berman's deadpan toones.

I've already bought my ticket for this show. I just hope he/they play stuff from Bright Flight & American Water.

I like the first couple of records & Actual Air but Tanglewood and the new one are weak.
Pretty good live show in Lahndan last year mind you but if a newcomer is wondering what they sound like then I reckon the shambolic country-rock of Pavement is not a million miles from Berman's deadpan toones.

I've already bought my ticket for this show. I just hope he/they play stuff from Bright Flight & American Water.

Where's Lahndan? Is it in Pakistan? I didn't know the Silver Jews played there.

I saw them a few years ago and they were really good. They played everything i hoped for.
I dont remember much about that gig. I'm hoping Whelan's will jog a few memories.

This new album's awesome.

"Send me your co-ordinates, I'll send a St. Bernard. This is late directory calling party barge..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back