signature guitars (1 Viewer)

GARYXKNIFEDX

Solutions
Website
Visit site
I just saw that you can buy an exact replica of Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstein guitar,and along with about a million other signature guitars it got me wondering. Would you buy one?
Don't think I would myself,even if money was no problem,I think I prefer to have my own guitars.

I just saw that you can buy an exact replica of Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstein guitar,and along with about a million other signature guitars it got me wondering. Would you buy one?
Don't think I would myself,even if money was no problem,I think I prefer to have my own guitars.
something so blatantly obvious like the Eddie V signature guitar mentioned would be ridiculous. i might go for something where you couldn't tell...like, say, a Geddy Lee signature Jazz or some shit like that, where it might just be a unique pickup config or something.

why bother in the first place, unless you can also afford the rigs that the cats played through with these guitars? i mean, you can buy a Kerry King signature BC Rich, but it would look/sound pretty ridiculous coming out of a tiny little practice amp instead of a wall of JCM800's.

something so blatantly obvious like the Eddie V signature guitar mentioned would be ridiculous. i might go for something where you couldn't tell...like, say, a Geddy Lee signature Jazz or some shit like that, where it might just be a unique pickup config or something.

That's more acceptable,I could possibly do that. But yeah,I was thinking more along the blatantly obvious ones.
Zakk Wylde is another that comes to mind.

That's more acceptable,I could possibly do that. But yeah,I was thinking more along the blatantly obvious ones.
Zakk Wylde is another that comes to mind.
i just don't see the point, unless you feel there is NO POSSIBLE WAY you could even think about playing guitar without having the exact same setup as somebody else.

Korn must have signature guitars too. if i ever saw someone playing one i'd bloody their head with it.

i just don't see the point, unless you feel there is NO POSSIBLE WAY you could even think about playing guitar without having the exact same setup as somebody else.

Well would you be going for the exact same sound as them though? To me the upside of getting a signature model guitar is that presumably the components in it would be better than you'd get from a standard guitar or if there was an unusual pickup configeration.

Well would you be going for the exact same sound as them though? To me the upside of getting a signature model guitar is that presumably the components in it would be better than you'd get from a standard guitar or if there was an unusual pickup configeration.
i suppose. in that case i would hope that they'd do something about the look of it.

edit - i should add that i've been in bands where one of the guys, usually but not always the lead guitarist, would play a signature model...and they were inevitably shit. it's the guys that play the jap copy strats that cost $200 who know it's not about the guitar and who can shred on anything.

When I was considering getting a Brian Setzer model Gretsch 6120 I had decided the first thing to go would be the dice control knobs- simply because ..well that was Brian Setzers idea, not mine.

Similarly the idea of playing a Rory Gallagher signature strat that has been scarred and beaten up to look like it's seen years of play is just kind of silly.

But, apart form the aesthetics I see the point about the actual technology , pickups, set-up etc probably being superior to a standard production line model.

Apparently the resell value on signature models is terrible - i'd that Kurt Cobain Jagstang when i was about seventeen and trying to sell it on was a nightmare, people want to have their own guitar rather than someone else's.

They're for tribute bands.

That Eddie V one is nuts. All fake broken and wires showing.... Probably sounds great. You'd almost need to fix it up after buying it. y'know, paint it and put a scratchplate on it.

Apparently the resell value on signature models is terrible

heard that too. in general, i'm not really into signature guitars. but there are one or two exceptions:

img111494-205183.jpg

the malcolm young signature gretch being one. and that geddy lee bass damo was talking about is another one.

see...I would put that in the "crimes against guitars " thread

but..like...whatever...

Apparently the resell value on signature models is terrible
maybe it's just me, and further to that maybe it's because i'm terible with dough, but i never buy a guitar i don't intend to keep forever. never think about what i could get if for it on a resale.

also, as far as the "beter technology" argument for getting a signature model - couldn't you just spend the same amount of $ and get a custom designed guitar (or assemble one yourself)? kinda like making your own signature model?

I would have NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER rockin the cloud guitar

nor this baby:

Attachments

• F5800550X.jpg
    F5800550X.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 39

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back