Shushing (1 Viewer)

In my case when I know I shouldn't be talking
I'm bursting lots of things to say.

although I did feel a bit guilty as well at the last ballroom
cause I nattered a ridiculous amount,

:eek:

Originally posted by stunning

Don't tolerate it. Not from ourselves, our friends or from strangers.

loose-lips-sink-ships.jpg

Best combatting of talkers i've seen recently was in whelans, Peter Bruntnell was playing(very pleasant acoustic stuff) and there was this woman up the front at one of the tables waffling away for his first few songs. So he got kinda irked at this and started playing gradually quieter until her vioce was louder than his and she figured out what a muppet she was being.
Also Sexton III, you're talking bollocks to be perfectly honest, fair enough if you wanna have a chat at the back of the point or somewhere there there's a big sound system. But somewhere like whelans where there's some guy or gal with just an acoustic guitar and there's some muppet waffling away for no apparant reason in the back is just plain obnoxious.

In my experience, the one thing that's worse than standing behind a loud talker, is if you know him, and he's standing talking to you being really fuckin loud. Oh the shame.

It's usually somebody who you haven't seen in a while and they've had a few drinks and they want to tell you there life story. It's those fucks I can't stand.

I've told people to shut the fuck up on numerous occasions. The two that spring to mind are at Sigur Ros in The Temple (LOUD DICKHEADS) and at Mogwai in the Red Box (LOUD DRUNKEN FUCK DICKHEADS). I mean, Mogwai are loud enough, the RB has a decent sound system, but these fuckers (From up north IIRC) were loud as fuck.

I've been a drunken loud fuck before, all the same. Most memorably at Low at ATP when I was told to shutup by some guy from some band from NZ (name escapes me, but they were very loud and noisy and played on Sunday). I was morto that I was being a drunken loud fuck.

Anyway, shut the fuck up you fuckers.

i once saw some acoustic band play at a christian hardcore festival (don't ask) and EVERYBODY sat down on the floor and shut up and it was absolutely amazing, one of the best shows i've ever seen, so it really can make a difference...

Tis lovely all right when people shut the hell up,
I was on Inis Oirr at the weekend, and in the pub everyone
sings there song or plays the diddl-yyay-die type music,

even the drunken guy with the atrocious voice got a fair
hearing......makes a nice change.

But when you've gotten past a certain stage of mouldines it's an impossibility to talk below a shout.

Originally posted by sarah
Tis lovely all right when people shut the hell up,

yo la tengo finished with a very quiet tune last night and everyone shut up and went home all peaceful like. a lot of nattering during the support tho.

Maybe this was harder before but quiet bands, bands who want exact attention from there audience or an audience who want silence should stick to venues not centred around or in a pub. There has been a proliferation of venues like this- The Helix, Arts Centres up and down the country( cant think of any more). Last night I was at Lou Reed in the Helix and altough you had the old hecker ( " LOU REED IS APOLLO.........GOD OF THE SUN"!) you could hear a pin drop. There is definatly an atmosphere created by this but I dont think it contributes to an almighty god-forsaking blow your mind type of gig.
BUt Its a hard one to call. Usually I cant stand quiet singer-songwriters so I would have no propble with two peeople talkin as long as it wasnt' too loud. However I have come across a tendency at certain gigs where even before you've finished clapping theres a huge SHHHHHHHSHHSHSH. Gets very stifling.
ANyway This doesnt happen at punk gigs :)!!!

Originally posted by stunning
There are 6000 pubs in Dublin for folks to go and fucking talk in.

Live music, the kind of which many of us in Thumpedland make, deserves to be heard in a concert setting.

We aren't talking about a fucking wedding band! :mad:

WE CAN DEFINE OUR OWN ENVIRONMENT. We can change the culture of apathy and greed by demanding an environment where our performances are given the respect that we happily help to create for our fellows.

What is so fucking hard to grasp about that?

If you want to talk, go to the fucking pub or disco where talking is a celebrated thing, heck I'll even meet you there after the performance...but don't come to a performance of music and start talking about blah blah blah when everyone has paid money to listener to the damn music.

Don't tolerate it. Not from ourselves, our friends or from strangers.

Performance is sacred, no matter how bizarre the art form or how loud the guitars are. Treat it as such.

!baggyyyy

this is the funniest post on thumped ever. seriously.

andy

Originally posted by Ed

Oddly, the most obnoxious thing i've seen at a gig recently was done by the singer from one of the bands playing. After playing some of the most godawful shite i've heard come out of dublin in years the singer proceded to play(not in time with the music, just sorta rattling it) with his tambourine for the first 2 songs of the band that were on afterwards, and they were a fairly quiet semi-acoustic group.

I've seen that guy do that before. And it was painful. I mean, they'd already pissed all over Moby Dick. Ha ha ha....:p funny stuff

Originally posted by Ed
It was the singer from a band called the polemics

oh my god
we played with them and it was the most depressing experience ever
it's the worst music imaginable
cunts

ANyway This doesnt happen at punk gigs :)!!!

Whew! I thought punk rock had died and gone to hell there. Thanks Welly.

There's nothing like getting a good bollicking on thumped.

I thought that person talking about the 'sacredness' of music was serious. How wrong can I be? Nice one. Funny alright.

Originally posted by Sexton III
Whew! I thought punk rock had died and gone to hell there. Thanks Welly.

I thought that person talking about the 'sacredness' of music was serious. How wrong can I be? Nice one. Funny alright.

If you don't think Punk is sacred, then you obviously havn't been to any GOOD punk shows. Punk rock hasn't died and gone to hell, but if you keep going to their shows - it just might.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back