Short-term apartment rentals in Boston (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter jane
  • Start date
  • Replies 16
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 0

jane

Website
www.ittybittyhearingtrumpet.wordpress.com
Anyone done this there? I never had to do anything like it in Boston, and the world was a different place last time I lived there.

Mr Jane and I are heading over at the end of October. He's staying for about 5 days, but I'm staying for almost two weeks.

It's far too long to put anyone out as a houseguest, and I am not made of money, so a hotel for that many nights would be dementedly expensive.

I can't fucking wait. I haven't spent more than about a day there in fucking years. I may just kiss the poopy ground when I arrive. There may even be tears. I'm taking Mr Jane on the Swan Boats, and to the Mapparium, and OMG, we are going to go to SALEM! SALEM!

OMG.

Anyway, where was I? Short-term apartment rentals. That's right.

Sigh.

Boston sucks for accommodation rental as far as I know.
Hotels are crazy expensive and often booked out.

My advice would be to stay with friends if you can and getting them something very generous when you leave. People are wicked nice there.

Try the harbour islands when you're there, Boston's jewels.

The Swan Boats, ha. Hahaha. You're a big softie.

When are you going? Craigslist can be good for that sort of thing.

Or this might help: http://trips.away.com/vacation_rentals/location-Boston--MA/rate-0.100

End of October. Possibly the 20th-3rd or the 20-somethingith to the 10thish. You can see we've planned this with real precision.

Thanks, Hayworth! I had a look at that site and it looks promising. Nice one. Figure there must at least be short-term apartment stuff for people on short teaching jobs. Wish I knew my dates now, or I'd book immediately. Nice looking place in the Back Bay/South End. Sweet!

I can vouch for (meaning it isn't crazy to accept) that offer, Frank is a very nice guy. I can also check with some friends with extra rooms if you give me dates.

Oh wow, really cool. That would be amazingly cool. We'd definitely stay somewhere paying while it's me and Mr Jane, and I might be able to stay somewhere when it's just me, but I'm just wary of putting anyone out if I have to do any work during the day. It would be super cool anyway to just meet up with people, since I feel like I'm going to be a newcomer in my own town. Weird.

Oh, sorry I thought you were being serious.

I can however check with a few people/places when you decide on dates.

Thanks so much! That would be superduper.

Again, we'll probably fork out for an apartment anyway, mostly because I'm wary of putting people out for such a long stay, and since I'm hoping to be turning up on people's doorsteps and stuff to try to get some work, there may be days when I'm trying to write or something. But if someone was gonna be away or something and needs a housesitter, then at least it's mutually beneficial. Or even just to meet up with people, since most everyone I keep in touch with has left the city/state/country.

I can't wait to take Mr Jane around, although I think the city's changed a lot. I mean, I can't take him out for Rat Brew or anything. Without the Rat, I'm a little disoriented. I feel like the city's lost its heart, even if that heart was lodged in its icky peehole.

Thanks so much! That would be superduper.

Again, we'll probably fork out for an apartment anyway, mostly because I'm wary of putting people out for such a long stay, and since I'm hoping to be turning up on people's doorsteps and stuff to try to get some work, there may be days when I'm trying to write or something. But if someone was gonna be away or something and needs a housesitter, then at least it's mutually beneficial. Or even just to meet up with people, since most everyone I keep in touch with has left the city/state/country.

I can't wait to take Mr Jane around, although I think the city's changed a lot. I mean, I can't take him out for Rat Brew or anything. Without the Rat, I'm a little disoriented. I feel like the city's lost its heart, even if that heart was lodged in its icky peehole.

Oh no, it's still got heart. I really miss it sometimes and there was never a time I hated being there. I know someone who has an extra room that they were thinking of renting out but I am not sure if they ever did. I will check on people taking holidays too.

One of the friends I already gave you a contact for would surely bring you out to meet people. She even has a cute doggie you could walk!

Oh no, it's still got heart. I really miss it sometimes and there was never a time I hated being there. I know someone who has an extra room that they were thinking of renting out but I am not sure if they ever did. I will check on people taking holidays too.

One of the friends I already gave you a contact for would surely bring you out to meet people. She even has a cute doggie you could walk!

That'd be so great. I'm gonna contact your mates once I know a little more about my trip. I only realised today that it's actually just over two months away.

So excellent! And a dog! A doggie! For walking! OMG. Dogs and Boston.

Next thing you'll tell me, Mike's Pastry is handing out free cannoli at the airport, and a flight's just landed chartered by the American Lactose Intolerants' Guild and I get to eat like 231 cannoli while watching the Red Sox win the World Series and then the Cars re-form and play a special show just for MEEEEEEE. With more free cannoli and all of the ice cream in the world, served by the ducklings from Make Way for Ducklings. And while I'm just finishing the last delicious bits, PBS calls and gives me a job doing awesome things.

Yay!

Mike's Pastry

Mouth watering. Even though I always had a soft spot for Modern Bakery down the way a bit. Hell, now I wanna book a flight.

I will put my thinking cap on for people that might be useful for work possibilities. I know a wide circle of people who work for local papers and such writing reviews. I'm not sure what route you're thinking of taking. I did know someone at WGBH but I don't think she is there anymore. I'll put some feelers out though. When I left they were building a big new office in Brighton.

Mouth watering. Even though I always had a soft spot for Modern Bakery down the way a bit. Hell, now I wanna book a flight.

I will put my thinking cap on for people that might be useful for work possibilities. I know a wide circle of people who work for local papers and such writing reviews. I'm not sure what route you're thinking of taking. I did know someone at WGBH but I don't think she is there anymore. I'll put some feelers out though. When I left they were building a big new office in Brighton.

You should come! It's too bad that cannoli don't travel well, and I'd probably get in trouble trying to bring some on the plane.

I'm totally cool with having to start a little further down the ladder, if that's even possible, given that I currently eat scraps for a living. I also need more experience in radio/tv production before I try going for a proper job.

I really want to do public radio and TV with a bit of print, and I don't know why I keep worrying that it's not possible and I'm going to fail (I think Ireland is getting to me). The current plan is to whore myself out to do stuff about here for people there and vice versa, and I figure the smaller publications are the best bet for that. One, they're easier to break into, and two, they can't afford to send people abroad. I'm cheap.

I should probably also remind myself that I'm the equivalent of ABD and have college-level teaching experience and can probably do adjunct teaching at one or two of the billion colleges, at least at introductory level. Because I frequently forget that.

OMG, I am so excited. It's going to be so hard to come back here after spending some time there, Rat or no Rat.

Is the Trident still open? I love that place. And there's no longer an outlet of Allston Beat two doors up, so I no longer have to shudder with the memories of my first job (the one I worked in was in Harvard Square, but they all give me the heebie jeebies). And Tower is gone, which is sad, but Newbury Comics is still around, and that's not sad at all. Although I don't know if the guys from Slapshot still work there.

It's kind of sad that all of the places and things that I knew best are gone, but it's also cool because I can start over with a cleaner slate. And anyway, it's not like I'd be hanging out at the Rat every night anymore. It's just that it would be nice if it was still there so I could go moan about how shit that [insert band here] reunion show was, and how I should have just clung to the memories.

I can't wait to go for a run/cycle/walk along the Charles. OMG. OMG. OMG.

OMG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back