Party, Another Party. (1 Viewer)

Solutions
Except as Mr. Ross is at pains to point out, its not a party

Alliance of Independents to field 20 candidates - RTÉ News

They've announced 7 candidates (in addition to their currently sitting parliamentarians) with the promise of up to 13 more to follow. Averil Power may be tempted- they're making a big deal of quotas and she'll get to maintain her independence while having the potential to affect change (that is assuming she gets elected, it'll be no easy task). Elsewhere I suspect they'll throw in a few 'celebrity' candidates (a la FG) to go with some actual politicians, if they can pick wisely they may return a good number of candidates and, given the lack of a clear front runner in the polls as of now, they may have a hand in forming a government.
The whole thing does seem a bit wishy washy though, no manifesto, no actual policies, no party whip (apart from on votes of confidence) and a mish mash of candidates. The charge levelled at trying to run UKIP being like herding cats comes to mind although I'm sure the Independents Alliance will contend there's no intent to herd anybody. That may be fine on the opposition benches but a government will demand adherence so it may yet come to that.

Between this, Renua and the rumoured Centre Left party it seems that independents have realised that there's no real power in independence so anyone with ambition will likely seek to join/form a party while the likes of Lowry and the Healy Reas will remain happy to show up, fix the roads and collect a salary.

Finally, I'm personally pissed off that I won't be here to vote against the odious Carol Hunt who has decided to grace the constituency of Dun Laoghaire with her presence. Still, with the sitting CC being of the constituency its effectively a three seater, RBB and MMoC are likely safe so Hunt will have an uphill battle to take the last seat.

...a group calling itself Pegida Ireland which is attached to a German anti-Islamic organisation has begun an online petition against the Tralee mosque, which has been signed by 212 people.

Pegida members campaigned in Tralee at the weekend and handed out leaflets against the mosque and calling on people to preserve their Celtic culture. A spokesman said they planned to start a party called The Celtic People’s Party shortly. Flyers handed out on Saturday called on Kerry people to say no to Islam and no to the mosque. The group denies it is racist.
Kerry mosque decision delayed while call to prayer plan clarified

Great, The Celtic People's Party

Broadsheet or The Journal had an online poll earlier "Should all gardai be armed"?. It was almost 50/50 yes and no. Just imagine that complete dipshit that struck the RTE cameraman if he had a loaded gun.

This type of thing
CajHXy0W4AI05tT.png

Identity Ireland disappointed with political response to attack

He stressed the most worrying aspect of the attack was the “deafening silence” from most parties.
“In fairness, Leo Varadkar came out and commented and he said he condemned the attacks. I am still not sure if he is condemning it on behalf of Fine Gael.

“The most worrying aspect was some tweets sent out by some politicians. A Labour councillor, I think she was a councillor, sent out a tweet saying ‘ha ha ha…Karma is a bitch’.

“That is a Government party you are talking about. I haven’t heard anything from the likes of Joan Burton. Fianna Fáil nothing. Sinn Féin – nothing.”

The silence is rather discomfiting. Are we gonna allow mobs decide who can and can't march based on their politics?

I wanted to go along to see what they had to say but once I seen some of the idiots planning to protest it I knew it would end as it did so stayed at home.
Isn't Pegida in Europe loaded up with Russians?
Flying Russian flags and in love with Putin and all that gear?

Isn't Pegida in Europe loaded up with Russians?
Flying Russian flags and in love with Putin and all that gear?

I'm not sure about loaded up with Russians - They're certainly nationalistic and Putin's admired by many European nationalists which may explain the flags. Funnily enough he's despised by Russian extreme nationalists for being too weak.
Russian influence in Europe's right wing movement seems strong - the FN in France were recently loaned Russian money and St Petersburg hosted a gathering of right-wing groups last year (or possibly 2014). Rather than being avowedly right-wing I believe that Putin wants a divided/broken EU so he's willing to support groups that may contribute to that.

Sorry, I could go on in greater detail but I'm on my way out the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back