Shit Venue/Good Venue (3 Viewers)

Cormcolash

Website
geocities.com
Just thought I'd start a thread about this to see what other people think.
I am currently of the opinion that a number of venues being used for gigs should actually be boycotted due to them being completely shit and obviously being more interested in making money than keeping people happy.
At the moment my Dublin venues that should be boycotted are:

1. DOWNSTAIRS IN MURRAY'S (where the Boom Boom is)
Reasons - Poor venue that smells of shit, questionable actions of soundman , but mainly NO RUNNING WATER AND REFUSAL TO GIVE OUT FREE PINTS OF WATER AT THE BAR. When management were confronted they gave stupid excuses and tried to brush over the whole thing.

2. FIBBERS
Reasons - Same smell of shit venue, asshole bar stuff, but for me mainly SOUND MAN BEING A TOTAL ARSE. The guy fucks bands about sound wise and obviously doesn't give a shit, and from what I have seen and heard is entirely obnoxious about the process too.

At the moment the venues in Dublin that I think are sound are:

1. BOHS
Reasons - Have always been amazing about gigs, suffer from the odd double booking but really cool place

2. THE LOWER DECK
Reasons - Much the same as above, occasionally there is the odd bit of dopiness from staff but on the whole a sound place that are pretty dead on.

3. THE TAP
Reasons - Ask Dregin. Seems to me that everything about the place is hilariously amazing. Nice venue too!

My conclusions - FUCK downstairs in Murray's and Fibbers.

My Belfast list for shit venues that should never be used currently goes:

THE FRONT PAGE - WHAT A TOTAL UTTER SHITHOLE. FUCK THEM WITH A CAPITAL FUCK.

Sound venues in Belfast

The Pavilion - Great place
McHughs - Only ever done a couple of gigs there but really sound too.

Of course these are just my opinions. Unless it is unavoidable somehow, I will never go to, put on or play a gig Downstairs in Murrays while they don't give out free water. Potentially I would go to a gig in Fibbers but I would never play there or put on a gig whilst they are using that dickhead soundman (unless some extreme circumstance arose).
I would go to a gig in the Front Page but would never play there or put on a gig there again unless they massively sort their shit out. What does everyone else think of going to gigs/playing gigs in these venues, what are people's favourite venues, etc etc.? Belfast and Dublin, sure why not.
Bit of discussion, should be an interesting thread!
Oh yeah, almost forgot, mainly I am referring to venues where the gigs would primarily be DIY punk/hardcore/metal gigs.

Agree completely on the Front Page, might be good because they allow a load of underagers which is good because it really fills it up at some gigs, but the place is a hole. Terrible layout, even more terrible sound (and to be fair, their usual soundman could be better) and generally not really a very good place.
Also agree on the Pavilion, really is a great place and I think it reflects in how basically most people tend to put on gigs there rather than the Front Page or the Bunker.

But to the list of shit venues in Belfast I'd add the Limelight. Phil said about how they doubled the fee for the venue at Genghis Tron and how they demanded money for mech stalls. But mostly I think it should be boycotted because the bouncers there are complete knuckledragging cunts.

Always thought the bar staff in Fibbers were sound... At least on the Thursday the are hmm. I have still to be at a gig there but that's the first complaint about it I've heard - always saw it and went "a gig would work class in here"

And what's the questionable sound man actions in Boom boom room?

Agree with your 3 though, big time. Especially the deck, for a few reasons that place is just perfect.

Good Venues
The Tap
Boh's
Lower Deck
Smell of Poo Poos in Venues
Fibber's
Boom Boom
Overrated Venues
Temple
No Bulmer's on draught venues
Eamon Dorans
The Voodoo Lounge
Dominick street Church

As for The Front Page obviously I don't know the ins and outs of it the way Corm would but while the layout is lousy it kinda adds to the atmosphere and always enjoyed my gigs there.

Nice thread Cormo

When i was looking for a venue few months back, the guy at Kavanagh's (the pub above) told me they wern't taking bookings for gig's, now 4 or so months later, there's gig's on:confused:

Yeah but in his warped twisted mind he prob assumed you were a beardy long haired hippy and the gig last night was put on by clean cut all american looking kids.

;>

Pretty much agree with everything that's been said, however I don't like The Voodoo or Dorans, or any place with bouncers for that matter

Yeah but in his warped twisted mind he prob assumed you were a beardy long haired hippy and the gig last night was put on by clean cut all american looking kids.

;>

He could tell that from a phone call? what kind of witchery is this????

Pretty much agree with everything that's been said, however I don't like The Voodoo or Dorans, or any place with bouncers for that matter
THATS ONLY BECAUSE BOUNCERS DONT LIKE TO SEE DRUNKEN
16 YEAR OLDS SITTING IN THERE OWN VOMIT

Think the Boom Boom Room is probably the most overrated venue in dublin at the minute, wierd poor mans lower deck buzz about the place plus no free tap water, a soundman who doesnt let you take the mic off the stand and a very distinct smell of rat shit on stage - no thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back